Has anyone played the Fender Tone Master amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ping-ping-clicka, Feb 14, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The Deluxe and the Twin are on offer :twisted: Tubeless ? o_O
    Who would confidently plunk down the $899.99 or $999.99 for the New Fender way.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Yes, the Tone Master amps are tubeless.
    It was in all the papers.
    I installed the same speaker in my TMDR that I have in my DRRI and conducted A/B tests.
    I'm quite satisfied.
    How did your testing go?

LPTyler, That Cal Webway and MilwMark like this.
  3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have too many amps already but otherwise I would definitely buy one.

pickaguitar likes this.
  5. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Coincidentally, I played the TR yesterday, and it did not do it for me. Sticking with valves right here

Salesman said he sold the amp last week, to a guy who could no longer cope with the weight of his genuine TR, but he returned it saying it did not satisfy him, and got a head and cab instead

I meant to do a poll on here asking how many people found it acceptable replacement, but I was too busy

That Cal Webway likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I don’t own one but was playing one in a store testing guitars just thinking it was a regular deluxe
    I thought it sounded pretty good

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

This is kind of my situation, too.

I gave my '79 DR (BF'ed and all) to a good friend of mine, around this time last year. For that reason alone, it would be kind of weird to get another one, even if it's a TM. And even at ~30 lbs., I really don't need the TMTR, either.

...I've currently got a '71 VR that's dialed in to where it sounds killer, and the weight is probably just barely manageable, for the rare times I'll take it out of the house. Same thing with a late 60's AB165 Bassman (with some really dialed in mods). The problem with the Bassman is that it really shines at stupid high volumes, and there's no advantage to using it at lower volumes, where I've got other stuff that sounds better.

I've also got a '67 SR that is a hell of an amp, but I've currently got the wrong speakers in it - it's too loud and clean. That amp is way too bulky to ever leave the house, but I just can't bring myself to unload it. Anyway, getting the right speakers in the SR is a bigger priority than grabbing a TMDR.

...Admittedly, the TMDR would probably be a better fit than many of the amps I currently own, simply for the power setting feature alone. I got a Boss Katana 50 last year, and the power setting switch on it is something I use a lot more than I would have thought. I really just have the Katana set for a clean BF type of tone, so the TMDR would absolutely satisfy all the needs, just w/o all the extra stuff in the Katana that I'll probably never use.

BB likes this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me too. I had a TMDR. Got it at a great price. For venues where it was loud enough, it was wonderful. And it was superb for quite rehearsals.

BUT. I already had a HRD IV (40 watts), a JC-40 (40 watts) and an Origin 50 (50 watts). Each with great master volumes. So they are all scalable to any venue, stage or rehearsal setting.

As always, after a few shows with the TMDR running wide open on 9, I concluded I don't ever want to run out of headroom and I won't with my trinity. And how many amps does a fella really need?

So I moved on. But not because it lacks da tubez. It sounded superb, had great feel and dynamics, and was a joy to load in and out.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

No one has actually played through these amps, because they don't really exist. All the comments you see online about them are just the product of an extensive viral marketing campaign by Fender, using advanced AI spambots.

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

I'm just a basement player at this point and don't need another amp. If I was playing out, I'd at least want to check one out.

The thing I'm most curious about, and haven't really heard or read in any of the reviews, is how the Tonemasters respond to being hit hard in the front end by a boost or overdrive. This is a classic way to get some great overdriven tones from a tube amp withhout having to crank it but can also be a bit of a stress test for digital amps. @MilwMark -- did you ever try this with your TMDR?

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

12. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think these threads keep coming because we’re all trying to wrap our minds around a digital amp that seems to have almost no downside— seems too good to be true. So we search for confirmation of our internal bias- be it skeptical or excited. Those going into it thinking they are truly neutral probably have an unconscious bias that gets revealed as they encounter mixed reviews..... unicorns invite interest with a healthy dose of skepticism.

13. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

My THR10C has a Matchless DC30 emulation that’s my favorite.

If Yamaha made a combo amp with just that emulation plus all the features of the Fender Tonemasters (Light weight, Attenuator, Line out, headphone jack) I would buy one.

richiek65 likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

A fair number of people think, "Yeah, I like that, but in a few years they'd be an even better modeling amp I want". I'm not commenting on the validity of that statement, just that many feel that way. Given that, Fender should be selling these amps in a head version. Then you can keep the cab and swap the head (and vice versa). I think they'd sell.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  15. sleeperNY

sleeperNY TDPRI Member

I bought the Twin model when they came out. I have always loved the sound of a Twin Reverb amp. My last Twin was the Custom 15 model. A great sounding amp. It became to heavy for me to lug around almost every week. The Tone Master Twin has filled the role for me to a tee. I am 69 and it gives me the sound I love and will keep me in the game for at least a few more years.

Mad Kiwi and NewKid like this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No. I’ve never liked that sound or feel. I’d rather just turn the amp up an equivalent amount. Especially a Fender. I would hit it with a TS for leads with a level through and that worked just as expected.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Lawdawg likes this.
  17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Thanks! To be fair, one of the benefits of a digital amp like the Tone Masters is that they can be configured to play at a wide range of volumes with the identical tone. The trick of slamming the front end of a tube amp is probably not relevant to any digital modeled amp.

18. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

The toan purists would immediately dismiss it because it's not in the same cabinet and won't sound the same and the rubber feet between the head and the cab would decouple the chassis from some kind of magic resonant feedback.

richiek65 likes this.
  19. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I played one the other day. It seemed very nice. In particular I liked the power switch on the back that allows you to turn up without being really loud. This is the only way a deluxe would be useful in my life. I played a normal deluxe sitting next to it, but it was too loud to do any sort of useful comparison. The store wouldn’t have minded but I did.
    I would pick it over the tube version if I was in the market for a deluxe because of this feature.

20. BigDaddyLH

They could build heads that can be slotted into their cabs, like Acoustic Image does:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.