Has anyone played a vintage Dallas Range Master? here is a great vid of one

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Marquee Moon, Aug 25, 2019.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, there's a guy named Martin Chittum who used to build a pedal called the Four Banger (four boosts in one box, which included a Rangemaster), and he changed the treble booster in the Four Banger Mk II to a silicon NPN transistor type. Word had it that the silicon treble booster in the Mk II sounded every bit as good as the germanium one in the Mk I.

...Since there's only a single transistor in the Rangemaster, and since its frequency response has the lower end excluded, it's really not clipping as much as you might think. Long story short is there are probably more than a few suitable silicon transistors that will produce an identical effect, with the benefits of:
    • being readily available
    • being affordable
    • performing consistently
    • not requiring positive ground or a charge pump, because a PNP transistor isn't necessary
    • not requiring sorting or testing for leakage
    • probably having a lower noise floor

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm pretty sure a talented EE can take almost any of these circuits and swap out the transistors... if you rebias the circuit you should still be able to get the outputs the same.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Okay has it been 100% concluded,
    that both Clapton and Mick Taylor and maybe Peter Green because they all sound very similar on the Bluesbreaker albums actually used Dallas rangemaster or something similar,
    as opposed to just cranking their Les Paul's into Marshall?

So we aren't just hearing the sound of a cranked up Marshall amp- no pedals
    Because I've been the hearing back and forth on this all my life
    Edit:
    I should say I've always played ( mostly) Fenders into smaller Fender combo amps+OD pedals, and NEVER played an LP ( or SG, 335 etc.) thru an old Marshall stack- hence my curiosity!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Marquee Moon likes this.
  4. beninma

Sorry at least the reference to Clapton using the rangemaster in "Birth of Loud" it clearly indicated it was a cranked Marshall AND a Treble Booster with the Les Paul with Humbuckers.

There was an extended passage about the recording engineer losing his sh*t at Clapton about the volume level and Clapton holding firm that it had to be setup that way to get the correct sound.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Thinking about the box-on-amp design, I wonder if it would be technically feasible to re-house some/many/all currently made pedals into box-on-amp enclosures. For people like me, I don't need a footswitch and would much rather stand facing the knobs instead of bending over. (I have balance problems.)

Or, instead re-house pedals into rackmount units of 1 or 2 spaces. This would be great for someone like me.

Say it is somewhat feasible. Would able tech guys say that it is too complicated or messy, and just not worth it?

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Show me a picture of Clapton using a Rangemaster and I'll believe it. I have yet to see one and he denies using one.

Still, I think they are a cool sounding unit and something I might build someday.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. beninma

Just quoting the book. This happened many years before I was born.

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

It's all doable IMO, depending on exactly how you want it.

The bigger pain IMO would be dealing with the mechanical components on many newer pedals, because oftentimes the pots/jacks/switches are all mounted directly to the circuitboard. In many instances, you can't just unsolder board-mounted pots and then remount them inside a rack-like enclosure - you'll need to replace them with suitable types.

The other decision that would have to be made is whether you just want to have a jack for external 9VDC, or if you want to move the power supply for each effect to be inside the enclosure, so that each one could be operated in a standalone fashion.

...This reminds me that Beavis Audio Research was going to do a series of rehouses for the old Dano "FAB" effects, to make them rackmountable, but he never got around to it. If you look at how he modifed a R2DU, I think that at least provides hints to how it might be approached.

Larry F likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.