Has anyone played a vintage Dallas Range Master? here is a great vid of one

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Marquee Moon, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

Guy is playing a 1956 strat out of a 1965 vox aswell. Man this really makes me want to get one. They are insanely expensive though.

Bobchill, idjster, Skydog1010 and 7 others like this.
  2. TomK

TomK Tele-Meister

That sounded great. The AnalogMan Beano is a great Rangemaster option. I had (and stupidly sold) one and could get those great stringy zingy treble boost tone with it.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  3. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

8A846C10-D110-4A49-9AF3-ED960897DE07.jpeg 6EABD143-F82F-44D9-B74D-F2D32BBBEB14.jpeg I have a 65 amps colour boost that is a hand made Rangemaster clone. As you can see it’s very old school constuction. It’s by far my favorite pedal. The one thing this fellow doesn’t show is that with a Rangemaster cranked you can use your guitar volume knob to really clean up the sound and get great rhythm sounds too.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  4. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

Note how at ~2:58 he has the amp on the edge of breakup, then engaged the Rangemaster to push the amp further. That is the secret to using it.

The Rangemaster is a great, easy to build pedal for the first time DIYer. I built one with a blend pot to mix in a larger input capacitor value. It allows a fatter drive tone as well as the original sound. Schematics abound on the internet but not germanium transistors which is needed to make an honest to goodness Rangemaster clone.

5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Fun circuit to build, I've done a few variants and am planning a straight up RM amp top box clone on perf board. My current favorite is a Red Rooster clone with a NOS Mullard military NPN germanium, PedalPCB has the boards. The Aion and BYOC circuits sound good as well, the Aion uses a charge pump to invert the ground, the BYOC just reverses the schematic.

6stringcowboy and DADGAD like this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

DADGAD likes this.
  7. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

I have one I made with NOS parts and a yellow jacket OC44, it sounds really good. I also have a clone of DAM's take on the circuit. A friend has asked me to make one for him, I have a stash of Black Glass OC44s. I am interested to A/B them.

DADGAD likes this.
  8. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

I just last week built a Fryer/Brian May treble booster from the GGG kit. It's freakin awesome! I'll have to do a legit Rangemaster soon.

DADGAD likes this.
  9. Marquee Moon

does it sound very similar to this video? I'm mostly looking to get this sound in the studio.

10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I built the Aion version a few months back including a mod that lets you choose the frequencies you want to boost via a three position switch. Low, Mid, or All. It's been on my board and turned on since I finished it.

zippofan likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one of the Vintage Pedal Workshop Rangemaster kits when they were available.

12. Marquee Moon

does this sound as good to you?

13. Special Brew

Special Brew Tele-Meister

I would say the clone I made sounds better than the British Pedal Company one but not as good as the first video. Having said that I think most of the fuzzes in the BPC videos sound lousy. I have a new AC15 (so that could be one reason why) and I can shoot a quick iPhone vid if you can wait a week or so. I have lent it to some and won't see them until the middle of next week.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Cool ... Rangemaster ......makes your $3000 tube amp sound like a SS $100 Peavey! :D

idjster likes this.
  15. Marquee Moon

lol you must not think very much of brian may.

16. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I saw Mick Taylor in LA in '68 with Mayall's Blues Breakers in a big hall - Shrine Expo and the Whisky. He used a Les Paul into a Rangemaster into a SF Twin. Sounded great in both places, the Lester British Blues grind.

I have gigged with a Les Paul into a Beano pedal into a Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal plugged into the clean channel of a Marshall JCM 900 50 watt 2x12 combo or into an early Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb. It brings the BBII to life when used judiciously. Satisfying grind and sustain.

17. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Actually I thought, "hmmm that sounds pretty good." (talkin about the OP's video) Then the more I listened I started thinking, "that harsh OD sound is a lot like a cranked SS amp!" DOH!

18. Marquee Moon

if you say so. It sounds like queen to me. I used to not like that sound aswell. Toni Iommi used one in sabbath. I like both of them now so maybe that is why I like it.

19. HybridTele

HybridTele TDPRI Member

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just finished reading "Birth of Loud" and they claimed Eric Clapton was running a Rangemaster or similar circuit on the Beano album as well.

I like the idea of building one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.