has anyone ordered a relic pickguard from spitfire?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by tamer_of_banthas, Oct 23, 2019.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

hey all,

these are rather spendy at the 290-300 USD range. has anyone here ordered a relic'ed pickguard from these cats? if so, please post some pics and give your opinions on the fit and finish. i believe these guys are the only ones putting out vintage correct celluloid tortoise guards. any advice is appreciated. thanks

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought a Spitfire guard early on, when they were cheaper and thicker than stock. Excellent tort (almost crazy 60s burgundy) of course, but never really cared for a relic in any way, so no help there. I had it installed on my VM JM, my TVL JM, and for a second my Thinskin ‘65. I sold the SF guard used and made a profit lol!

FYI, Spitfire guards are not celluloid. There are some nice celluloid material, but still not always like 60s vintage red tort.

Spitfire 1st pic
    2nd: Newest guard, Decoboom Streamline, celluloid.
    3rd and 4th: celluloid, cut in Austin.

5D52657D-D1AB-42A2-93A3-4AD508950FFC.jpeg A41138FB-8A4F-4A8E-B840-1B4AD927BA3F.jpeg 8B88169F-ACCB-4B99-A6AA-BEAD424AB273.jpeg C8A67D9F-A3F9-4F9A-B804-2C8324901DA1.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Where are you getting your celluloid from?

4. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

BorderRadio,

that's very cool; they all look excellent. i'll have to do a little research on DecoBoom. thanks for the tips mate.

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had to edit my post, because I’m not sure what the MIC sheets that I sometimes buy are made of, probably not celluloid, but they do look great (eBay). The celluloid examples above look like the same source, to be honest, and the Austin based shop that made the Bass VI and Jag Bass guards doesn’t sell them anymore. Both their sources are unknown to me...

bender66 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.