Has anyone mounted a floyd rose to a unmodified start body for dive only?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Chunkocaster, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I got a strat style body and a original Floyd fits in the trem hole, Dropped straight in sitting flush on the body but only barely. I took a quick measurement while holding a neck in pocket and it looks like the scale length might work for intonation too. Has anyone had experience fitting a Floyd to a strat without having to modify the body at all other than drilling for new studs?

20191112_161742.jpg
    20191112_161802.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Should be fine as long as there’s enough play in the saddles for comfortable action since once the studs are in it’s gonna sit a little higher

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

The neck I plan on using is a weird spec WD strat neck. Its thicker and slightly wider in the heel so if shimming is required it wont be much. Is it normal for a Floyd to drop straight into a strat body? I thought the trem bar nut got in the way or it wouldn't sit flat.

I didn't plan it but after checking the Floyd saddle radius is 12 inch and the neck is also 12 inch radius with larger frets. I just bought the body for $40 bucks and the Floyd and neck have been sitting around for 7 years.

I haven't played a Floyd guitar since the 80s so am now unfamiliar with them.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

You'll probably need a shim in the neck pocket to make about 1 degree of tilt.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

I gather than it will sit a bit higher once mounted on the studs.
    There is no room for sideways or forwards movement so the studs would need to go where it sits now. I think there will be room to intonate and the string alignment looks ok judging by the string holes in trem block on rear and using a ruler from top.

I was going to mod the neck to fit the locking nut but might just use the string retainer bar with original bone nut to save the hassle. Do you think it would hold tune using the original nut and lubing it?

6. Fretting out

It will hold tuning as well as any fender trem

Might want to try it without the retainer bar first though, as I’d think stretching underneath that back and forth when using the whammy is unnecessary friction and may cause tuning stability issues
    And may cause binding in the nut
    I think you want as straight a sting pull as possible

Staggered locking tuners would be best

If you can get away with just a string tree and have proper tension

The Guthrie govan model charvel has no locking nut and no retainer bar maybe you should check it out for inspiration

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Chunkocaster

Thanks, Ill have a look at the Guthrie model. I think you are right about leaving the string bar off as after more thought I think the bar is just to keep proper string angle in the locking nut so the strings lay on the base and don't go out of tune when clamping down. Unnecessary if I don't fit the locking nut.

8. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

i have a set of locking sperzel trim loks that are staggered, and they hold tuning great - if you don't want a locking nut, they would be ideal to avoid string tree/ bar friction

well lubed graphite or tusq nut as well

i have that set up on a partscaster, although it has wilko V50 trem not a floyd

my floyd build was a massive PITA to be honest. its taken years to get in a decent state, but that is probably more my ineptitude than the trem

has the body been drilled for the posts? if not, do you have a template?

btw - the guthrie model is back routed, so its flush with the top and its floating

https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/...ie-govan-signature-hsh-flame-maple/2865434701

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

The body i'm using hasn't been drilled for anything yet. I just noticed that the rear trem cavity is misaligned which could make this a big pita as well. I was thinking it will make for an easy decent guitar but seeing the misalignment issue it might make the Floyd option a nightmare as I think it needs even tension which could be hard to achieve unless I just use 3 springs and line them up on angle to the claw to compensate.

10. johnniegoat

johnniegoat TDPRI Member

if you are handy with tools , a router or chisel could realign the trem rout. though it might not be pretty

i have a different parts caster that has always had the trem blocked off - tried to fit a wilko vintage trem to it, to find the back rout was out of alignment and the srings caught on the bass edge. total ballache

that said, don't allow a little mis alignment put you off - if you even watch any Crimson guitars youtube content, they always say the difference between a hobbiest and a professional is a hobbiest makes mistakes; a professional creates features :)

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

A shim and get a couple of mm of height and it would float I’d imagine.

Worthy experiment

Could chisel it from the back and cover the crime if you not routing it

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Chunkocaster

I'm not sure I want to work with it as is or just ask for a replacement as I just bought it. Its a nice light body so a shame they stuffed the rear route up. It's out by quite a lot. If it was a free body or older I'd just hardtail it or expand the rear route but now I've been gearing up for the Floyd id like to stick with it because ive blocked my other strats trem and don't own a guitar with a working tremolo. I'll shoot the seller a message and see what they have to say about it.

13. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

I don't think a Floyd will work with a standard rout, even if you're planning on decking it.
    But I could be wrong.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

It fits and dives when testing. I measured and it looks like intonation will be possible where it sits. Once its sitting up a bit on the studs it should have even more range of movement so i'm hoping all with be ok. I can't return it now because I just re shaped the cutaways to closer match my early 60's strat body. It had generic belly cut and the wrong contour line on the top. 15 mins with the belt and palm sanders has fixed that and shaved some weight off too. I'll straighten the rear route out too before painting.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Getting closer with the Floyd strat, body is now painted in Rustoleum 2x base coat and i've started prepping a neck for it.

20191121_191337.jpg

Fretting out and aging_rocker like this.
  16. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Looking good! Nice tort there.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

Thanks, I wasn't sure about that tort guard but after going over the white black white edges with tru oil tinted dark brown I like it. Kind of looks like a thick one piece tort guard.
    It's a $8 buck blank guard from china.:)

I'm going to install a single black humbucker (tone zone or super distortion) on angle in the bridge and have one black volume knob.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  18. Fretting out

It’s starting to shape up

I hope you keep us posted on this as I’m interested in how it turns out

I’d love to try this on an av 65 but wasn’t sure about it if yours goes okay I think I might have to get a Floyd

I have the skill and tools to route for a Floyd I just don’t feel like doing it if it’s not necessary

I think a lot of the original Floyd’s were just flush mount anyway

That’s gonna be one mean strat

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Thanks, I'm digging the look of it too. I just hope I can get it playing nice and staying in tune. It will be a while until I get it finished because i'm putting another couple of partscasters together at the moment. I'm kind of going back and forwards between them all when I get time. They were unfinished bodies too so i'm painting as I go and the weather allows. I haven't owned a floyd guitar since the mid 80's so i'm looking forward to playing it when it's sorted. I've been dusting my fingers off and trying to work up Van Halen's I'm the one for the test run.:D

I don't know that i'd be wanting to route a av 65. This was a $40 buck body so gave me the confidence to possibly screw it up.:)

That Floyd is also heavy, this body weighed 0.9kg or 1.98 pounds so it shouldn't be too heavy when finished. Just something to consider if you plan to fit a Floyd to your guitar.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    aging_rocker and Fretting out like this.
  20. Fretting out

Exactly if I can flush mount it on an av 65 it would be more reversible Incase I’d want to change it back to stock

Of course I’d also have to get another av65 as I wouldn’t want to cause harm to my beloved burgundy mist

I like those pillows in the picture they remind me of my cow-dog

Yours certainly looks evh shred worthy

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.