1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone here ever bought a "Chibson"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Well miracles of miracles, changed the strings, tuners(Grover) and bridge(Epiphone for now, miles better than what was on it), set it up with 11-49s and that caused me to need to adjust the truss rod and the truss rod actually worked! Also changed the TRC from the weird chrome one to a black "Les Paul Custom" one that I had laying around It's VERY playable now and sounds good. Still nowhere near my real Les Paul and never will be, but a decent guitar on its own merits.

1113182001a_resized.jpg

24 track likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I can't go through 7 pages of thread but how many times have you been chastised for considering one?

I have a couple. Shoot me.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

you should post them!
    it's only a matter of perspective and what works for me , I am really proud of my chibson and it was a beautiful gift from my wife and daughter , I will never sell it plus has given me total insight on how to spot fakes , so any one can say what they will I dont give a crap , and I play it everyday and Im happy.

4. 24 track

Damn, thats awfully pretty!

5. bender66

Here's 1.
    Message_1541571985963.jpg

Bones and 24 track like this.
  6. 24 track

7. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

I forgat to say, that I had to wait for mine like 3 months and when it came, the pickups were loose inside the body. I mean the p90 covers were at their place but the actual microphones were inside the body loose. And all those crappy chinese wires were cut. Well, that was not a big problem for me, because I had already GFS pickups waiting.
    So, yes it took some work, but I would not sell it now - it's my gig rig now.

Oh yes - one thing more.. I was aiming to buy a guitar without that Gibson logo and I choosed a guitar that had "black headstock". But when it arrived it was not just black. Looking again the sale pictures - I realized that it was photoshopped to black. And after all, even the model ain't right. I think it is supposed to be like the one Scotty Moore had. The color is too sparkly and the body too thin. Maybe Gibson had sometime something on that shape / size, but never with this color?
    Anyway, it's often after gig that someone comes to ask me about it like; "Hey.. what is that Gibson - it sounds great.."

bender66 likes this.
  8. bender66

I asked for the above Firebirds headstock to be blank (*Gibson logo is on TRC on a real Bird) & they said they couldn't accomodate. Funny, asking them NOT to do work & they insist that isn't an option. It's just 1 less thing to screw up, right?

I have my last name in Gib font stickers but now I'm thinking Chibsun is more appropos.

I did the same, gutted it. I really only wanted the husk. Fret level, fixed minor things, better tuners. It plays pretty good given the price. Next is 86'ing the 300k Gibson harness. I might try just putting in a 500k tone pot first. I dont really dig the way the current wiring scheme works.

* sometimes

9. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

Nowadays they (chinamen) are selling also many types of parts and DIY-kits. So, they "give You some legos and You produce what You can with them". I think it is a cheap way to learn about guitar building/fixing.

I consider myself lucky with my Chibson - it is a great instrument now. But I propably wouldn't buy another one. Some DIY-kit I might try sooner or later..

Bones and bender66 like this.
  10. bender66

I see A LOT of kits that I'd gamble on now instead of going about it the Chibsun way.

Also, Dude. Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature... Asian American, please.

11. 24 track

how about the Chinese or korean guitar makers!

12. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Holic

I guess I used "Chinaman/men", because we have a restaurant hereby with that name, but..

If You think about the asian culture of working? They are hard working people and don't spend much time on holidays. So the basis of manufacturing good quality should be ok. I think that Japanese products were not much appreciated during 60-70's, but those same products can be now often thought as valuable vintage. This will not propably come true with chinese stuff in the future.
    Isn't Samick one of the best asian (/Korean) factories? For example Gretsch Electromatics were made there and the quality is really high.

But the thread was about experiences of chinese fake Gibsons? I think that if Your life is dull, buy something and check what You get. It could be a lottery, but people gamble every day, don't they..?

24 track likes this.
  13. 24 track

it is a crap shoot but rest assured the asians are paying close attention and the details are getting better , having said that the electronics leave much to be desired , but again quality parts are available .

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  14. Bones

Thanks, always had a thing for the real ones since the day I saw one in a shop back in '98. At the time , I think it was $1800.00 but I was looking for an every day guitar and it seemed a little blingy and more like a wall hanger/collector piece. Now, they go for about $8k if you can find one.

The guy I bought it from buys a lot of stuff from China, some copy stuff, some custom made to his specs. He said it can be a dicey proposition and sometimes his money just evaporates.

This particular model sells new for just about what I paid, so he basically got his money back or lost money if he paid for shipping.

I don't think I would ever buy one directly, but if another decent one comes up on CL, I would probably check it out.

24 track likes this.
  15. bender66

F-bombs.

24 track likes this.
  16. Bones

So, after a day or so of looking at the real Gibson Corvettes and my knock off, I decided to try and dress mine up a little more like the originals.

After studying photos of the real ones, i concluded that the chrome outline of the cove looked to be nothing more than 8th inch flexible chrome automotive trim. Fired off a quick order for said automotive trim through Amazon Prime with free one day shipping . It arrived today and I think I nailed it. Also used it to replicate the chrome fins on the original..

Before:
    00G0G_b8sMsOaEPKF_1200x900.jpg

After:
    1115181728_resized.jpg

Real Deal:
    26151_Used_Les_Paul_1960_Corvette_Cascade_Green_VIN_5079_1_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    24 track and Shuster like this.
  17. bender66

I have one of those original engraved Corvette pickups in my "saved" on Reberb (I think). Take a look.

18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I bought one, but didn't know it would have a fake Gibson headstock? Pic's showed a plain jane body, no writing anywhere. When it showed up, it had a Gibson made in USA and serial # and date. I'm a lefty, so the first thing I noticed was the bridge cocked for a right handed guitar???

Ebay refunded my payment, and the seller didn't want to pay for shipping back, so the POS is the center attraction in my man cave, impossible to get it intonated. But damn purdy sittin on the wall,, lol

24 track likes this.
  19. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Flippin Swwweeeetttt!!! Me likey! What a Beauty!!!

20. Bones

Thanks, very happy with with it for what it is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.