Has anyone here ever bought a "Chibson"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 23, 2018.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

that was the sole reason I bought the chibson was to be able to tell the difference ,But I wont buy a gibbie sight unseen, I want to get up and personal see and play it , it pisses me off to no end that some disreputable dick would sell a chibson at full dollar to some kid who saved up their allowance and its a fake, makes my blood boil.

mine was gift , I love it , and it will never be for sale

2. 24 track

sorry to hear yours was crap, mine was fine ,in tune and set up out of the styrofoam box even after the journey from china, just that 20th fret issue,
    but I hate the cheap wiring and crap pots , I was lucky some guy gut and revamped his LP and I got all of the parts for 100.00 off of kijiji ,

but I also regutted my tele affinity ( except the pickups ,I loved the sound of those) and my Jay turser , and 2 of my epiphones for the same reason Cheap parts !

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a nice parts-caster (Tele);made by a local guy so I suppose that I have no right to roll my eyes at copies.

I bought my parts caster from a local builder off Craigslist. Ordering one from the other side of the world seems a bit drastic.

24 track likes this.
  4. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

you can have luck on Aliexpress. My buddy has like 3 basses made from the Chinese (same guys that make chibsons)

5. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I rolled the dice on c2coffer.com.... big time mistake!

I was trying to get a satin finish LP standard in ice tea burst.

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Stop enticing them to come here
    诚信推荐加拿大Queen毕业证成绩单找扣/wei<860707204>加拿大皇后大学毕业证成绩单教育部学历认证原版文凭学历制作Queen’s Universitya

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. 24 track

I got mine from DHgate

PelhamSG likes this.
  8. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a Chibson on CL last night. It is based on the Gibson Corvette LPs.

Some of the details are off, like the chrome around the cove and the little chrome fins are black grooves. I actually don't mind the grooves becauae it seems like the fins may get in the way. I have ordered some flexible automotive trim to see if I can replicate the detail around the cove.

Surprisingly it sounds really good with the cheap stock pickups and wiring.

The neck and frets feel great and after an hour of playing it, I must say that I like it a lot. The bridge is definitely the weak point and will be the first thing I replace as soon as I do a string change.

It's also fairly light weight, I expected it to weigh a ton like my real Les Paul.

Lots of other little details that give it away as a fake. Stuff we notice but nothing that detracts from the playability.

For $250, I feel it's a fun good sounding guitar and looks cool on the Wall as long as you don't look too closely at the paint under the clear coat.
    00G0G_b8sMsOaEPKF_1200x900.jpg 01111_j5KCak6wIPK_1200x900.jpg

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have played a Chibson pearly gates. It was complete garbage.
    Slight neck twist. Horrible hardware, frets and board. Wonky control knobs. Green cheap looking tulip tuners. Bad flame veneer job. Funky looking headstock etc.
    I have a epi 56 goldtop that I paid $250 condition 2 new for. It is a superior guitar in every way and needs nothing changed or upgraded on it from stock.
    Even in detailed pics I've yet to see a chibson that remotely resembles a real Gibson on close inspection.
    That being said the Corvette above looks cool and if it played well i'd be tempted to pay the $250 for it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    24 track likes this.
  10. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Howdy.
    Bought one a couple of years ago. Did some "finishing" work, changed the pickups to GFS and attached the Atkins trem arm. Used to play a Gretsch Electromatic (Korean), but now I'm using this Chibson on gigs. Here's a vid from 1-2 years ago:

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it's absolutely stupid to compare them to a real Gibson in anyway, but compared to other $250 guitars, it is pretty damn cool. Hopefully the electronics hold up because rigjt now everything sounds good, even the 3 way switch is silent.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Chibson.jpg
    In a GAS feeding frenzy, I bought one in 2012...LP shape with the G case...DHGate
    It is ok?.....if you overlook the scarfed neck joints, dime-sized sand-through of top veneer, etc....lol
    It was $325 delivered. Nice case, guitar worth about $100. Never again.
    I'm a home player. It is fun to play and the pickups are very useable. I just pulled it out of the vault and jammed with it through my Silvertone 1482. It'll drive my amps into great sonic territory.
    I leveled the frets and it holds tune very well, but it's still Fugly.
    It would never fool anyone as a G, or any other name brand for that matter.

Every once in a while I get the John Lennon fever and drool over Rick 325s, descending into Chickenbackers and then come up for air, grab a USA Strat and whoosh, it's gone. Never again, repeat, repeat.

Oh, and if anybody has one of those knob inserts for a Silvertone, I'm in need. Thanks.

13. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

Purchased a Merle Haggard tele. Looked fantastic. Tuners were bad, pickups were bad, nut was bad. All this I had expected. Turns out the truss rod was bad too! It snapped. Great to look at.

14. 24 track

I got lucky with mine and the replacement parts were real gibson including the gibson pull back shielded wire and its a ton of fun to play after my setup actually feels better to play than my lefty les paul , as I stated its a crap shoot to the quality and the price is cheap enough to play with to make it your own

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

I had to go back and look, did you get a pearly gates? Regardless of the model the Chibsons are mostly the same construction. Its a crap shoot just like with any new guitar. Some are obviously better than others. I have only played the one and it was bad. Not worth upgrading parts due to the poor overall quality and neck twist. A good functional one for around the $300 mark is a different story if you like the look and feel of it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    24 track likes this.
  16. 24 track

Look at post #15 there is a picture of it , mine is the ultima tree of life , the only difference betwwen this picture and now is I've installed a real Gibson ABR-1 bridge on it now, dont forget I replaced everything with real gibson parts , but they did some cool things I discovered after I bought it , like the holes in the head stock for the machine heads were drilled to fit real gibson machine heads and the placed sleeves in the holes to accomodate the Epi tuners , so all I had to do was pull the sleeves and the gibson parts fit right in with no messing around .

On post #37 I give a list of most of the tell for a chibson to be able to tell the difference

Mine does not have a scarf jointed neck and the scarfs are standard on things like Jacksons , so who ever made the copy you played it was one of the earlier made ones because they dont make them like that at this point

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. Chunkocaster

I would do the same if I came across a decent playing, looking one. Replace tuners, nut, hardware, electronics and then decide on the pups based on how it sounded and what I wanted from it. The bonus is you can treat them like a partscaster and get them just how you like without breaking the bank or devaluing a expensive instrument imo.

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

I often wondered why Gibson never made much of a stink about these guitars and it dawned on me they are making a killing on replacement parts so they are benifiting from the sales in a fashion, now if you ever ordered one you can have anything on the headstock you want including your name , I was looking to see the comparison to the real thing as I buy a lot of guitars ,I now want to hold it and smell it first before I buy any gibson from now on
    where else Could I get a 15,000.00 guitar for 325.00 cdn

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I'm pretty sure Gibson's failure to act against these guitars has more to do with the fact that the Chinese do not enforce copyrights in any way, shape, or form for American companies. Intellectual property and trademark theft are also huge business in China. There's not much Gibson could do, considering the Chinese refuse to do anything about it. That's the nature of doing business these days: You have to know when to pick your fights and this is a fight Gibson wouldn't win.

24 track likes this.
  20. 24 track

you could be correct there , I have heard of guitars being stopped at customs in the states for being fakes , not so much in canada so far , but if you have your name on the headstock , is it a fake or a copy? and the gibby parts will still fit!
    and I agree the gibson parts are far superior in quality to EPI -esque parts they use

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.