1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone here ever bought a "Chibson"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 23, 2018.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I've not bought a Chibson and probably never will.

Gibson makes some Les Paul's that (to me) don't even feel like a Les Paul. If I'm playing a Les Paul, I want a friggin' Les Paul

I would have a hard time mentally processing that the Chibson in my hand IS a Les Paul when I know it's not.

I have no problem with any company making any quitar any where, that's free enterprise. BUT, it shouldn't say Gibson Les Paul unless it was made by Gibson.

Hiker likes this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I played a David Grohl Chibson a few nights ago. It was really fake and cheesy looking. Especially the water slide Gibson logo. It was ghastly. Wait for it... the frickin guitar has mojo! Played and sounded like a dream. I’m still in utter disbelief.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Chibson= Chinese - Gibson

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, it was easy to understand what the word means, but I was looking for more specifics. Thankfully, my question was answered pretty quickly.

Hiker, soulgeezer and 24 track like this.
  5. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I don't have a chibson, but I bought a tuff dog tele type guitar so that I could make something simiar (as a builder).

it's junk. Mine has a bow in the neck so that the 10th fret or so, the strings go over the side of the fret. makes a nice noise, but it's still OK for me to take measurements off of and throw away.

I have another completely generic set neck style guitar (maybe more in the spirit of suhr) with a curly koa top and curly one piece mahogany back.

It's relatively well made, but some of the finish work is shortcutted and there's a but if unscraped glue under the finish in spots. It's a playable guitar, though. sort of weird combination - expensive wood, very level fret board that plays clear and has good action - just needs crown and polish - laser done inlays, and then it has paf style pickups that are very low output despite being a modern ripper looking guitar.

I complained to the seller of the fender style guitar (but never insisted on a refund, I just wanted to have a guitar to make templates off of in hand, and inspect joints).

I kid you not, he said "just push the string toward the middle of the neck before you play it, it's OK". He also made all kinds of promises, but never followed them up. To this day, if I bother him for sport, he still says "please be patient, I am making new neck". :)

(the no-name guitar, I did intend to get as a player. The original listing said cocobolo neck along with the other woods, and the sellers are relatively dishonest about specs, so they sent me a guitar with the neck stained very dark trying to hide that it's mahogany). Different seller than the fender copy (I scratched the logos off of the fender copy - a request to have a generic version went unnoticed, i guess because the shipper is just forwarding guitars), and it took a while, but I got $100 back on the no-name guitar due to the neck being mahogany. It took some threats, though - the sellers know that it will cost you a hundred bucks to ship a guitar back to china, so they ask you to return something if you don't like it to see if you're serious.

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't, by the way, order a gibson copy. There are enough structural problems and other potential issues with real les pauls (body humps, poorly spaced tuners, bridges in the wrong place).

If I was looking for lower priced, I'd either go older Gibson Studio or some kind of japanese les paul copy- the hardware is likely to be decent and no mod needed, and as long as the seller is honest, there shouldn't be structural issues or outright horrible things.

Something similar like a tokai LS 92 is about two to three times the cost of a chinese les paul, and made in japan. And legal to resell if you don't like it. Just beware of people selling japanese guitars in the US or directly to the US - they often are just looking for suckers who will pay much more than people in japan will.

7. PelhamSG

PelhamSG Tele-Meister

Ive considered it. Usually im a "buy the real deal", but heres why I considered a Chibson...

There are some guitars so expensive, that they are out of my reach now, and the foreseeable future. Obviously the fake would be nothing like the real deal, but sometimes the real deal is simply out of reach.

24 track and Doctorx33 like this.
  8. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Really? That's very surprising. I'cant think of any production shop, anywhere, that uses guys hammering in frets when its faster an easier to use a press. Also it's extremely hard to believe they would have a guy using a handrill to drill the neck screws, since again in any production shop you'd have at least templates on a drill press and probably a gang press that drilled four hole s at once.

Too bad you can't show us any pictures of this

9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Sorry you find my claims that my Chender neck sucked a stretch. You should buy a bunch, then.

10. MonkeyJefferson

I didn’t say they used a hand drill, I said the neck plate was screwed onto the body, into the blank, holeless neck at an ANGLE, so that the body holes wouldn’t line up with the straight holes of any other factory neck. It wasn’t square. New MIM neck on there now, but not without professional help.

11. MonkeyJefferson

Really?

12. MonkeyJefferson

Did they REALLY use a hammer, or was I trying to describe the only way I could imagine in which the frets I saw were struck into the neck? There were four or five DIVOTS, PITS, in the frets that rendered the neck unplayable. And there was glue as I described. But don't worry, they give you a SWEET nut, though. You may find this, too, surprising, but the nut wasn't filed at all correctly. Also perhaps surprising, but my Chender's neck's truss rod wasn't functioning. Surprise, surprise, I guess. Don't buy these, you guys!

13. 24 track

you need to know that yes its a crap shoot, but the idiosincraies are no differnt than in the real thing, and chibsons are getting down to where i will not buy a gibson sight unseen
    with the one I had gotten , it had epiphone parts on it, so when I went to install the real gibson machine heads , which are a bigger diameter , the chibson was bored out to gibson specs with small sleeves to accomadate the epiphone tuners ( a really nice touch ) I have a gibson LP Lefty studio , and for the price I was appauled by the QC , burnt wires in the cavity sharp fret ends, bridge alignment , and they asked full price for it, and with the chibson the 20th fret had lifted (easy fix) and the bridge was out of alighnment , the same degree as the real LP.

Im not advocating here but once you dump the garbage electronics and the epiphone pickups , you can do what you want with the body and make it your own , my chibson is my go to guitar and I reach for it more than I do for the studio , plus i could buy 3 chibsons for the price of one gibson, and you can order any thing you want on the headstock even your own name.

also Gibson makes a small fortune off of after market parts sales!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

I tried it once... western unioned $100 deposit... needless to say I donated $100 to the Chinese.

Never heard or saw anything....

I will never try it again.

15. MonkeyJefferson

And the tuners were fitted into their sockets with athletic tape for better fit. The white kind for your fingers in basketball. Wrapped all around stuff in there. And it took 3 1/2 months. The picture on the sitelooked really, really, really good, I will give them that.

16. MonkeyJefferson

Now that I spent $4,534 dollars fixing it, and replacing everything but the crappy body, I have something to play for the 4th and Buck Owens' Birthday, August 12th, every year, and it was only $165.

17. 24 track

actually I spent 100.00 and got all gibson, pickups 490 & 498 , gibson pots , caps ,and green tulip gold tuners, and the only thing else I bought was an ABR-1 bridge ( gibson after market ) for caps I put in oil and paper , I had a gold switchcraft switch and the pull back gibson braided wire.and did my own set up.

and for the tuner sleeves were drillred wooden bushings form fit to the exact spacing of the gibson drilled holes, and were well made enough that i kept then in my parts box incase I need to do a repair.

plus because it has the same electronics as my studio I can do a proper A/B and the chibson wins

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The one I got was really nice, but I had to constantly pester them and ask for photos and make sure they don't send me something else.

19. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

My Turn:

Everybody has that one type of guitar they're obsessed with having. With me it's the Gibson Moderne. Why? I guess partly because of the mystery of the thing, and because I just thinks it's really cool. It occurred to me Modernes are like the band Rush: People love them or hate them, with nothing in between.

My first one was a Dillian DM-MOD59. It was a good guitar, but it wasn't really a Moderne because they had to bend the shape a little so Gibson wouldn't sue them. My guitar guy found a couple of suspect things about it and I sent it back.

Now what? The eighties Epiphone and Gibson issues were out of my price range. Gibson issued it again as the Moderne XI, but they were expensive too and I didn't like the changes they made to it.

So, I bought a Chibson from Aliexpress. I figured it would be similar to Epiphone quality. It wasn't. It sucked. Really crappy hardware. The pickups were crappy Epiphone counterfeits. The hole for the neck pickup wasn't cut correctly and I had to Dremel it to make the pickup sit straight. Lousy electronics. While the pickups and bridge were gold (Poorly made), all the screws were brass. The worst thing was that the fretboard had some kind of rise in it after the 12th fret. The nut was badly cut too. It wouldn't stay in tune because the bridge was really sloppy loose on the bridge post.

I should have sold it, but didn't. I told a friend about it and what it needed to be right, he said what the hell go ahead and do it, you're already down the rabbit hole. So I did. The short story is that everything that can be attached to this guitar except the pickguard, the jackplate, and the frets has been replaced.

I have gone mad.

• Bone nut.
    • TonePros/Kluson tuners.
    • Tonepros bridge and tailpiece, including bushings.
    • Jackplate and Switchcraft jack.
    • Pickups. Pots. Straplocks. Knobs. Switch. Switchknob. All the screws. Et Cetera...
    I did all the changes, some of which were cosmetic because I wanted it to look like a Fifties guitar.
    I took it to my guitar guys to see what could be done about the fretboard, expecting to hear it needed a refret. Their re-fret guy looked it over and said he didn't think it was a problem to fix it without a refret. Fortunately for me, the guy was good and he was able to fix it with a level and crown. He also replaced the plastic nut with a bone one.

So now it is playable, and sounds good. I didn't track the cost, but I wouldn't be surprised if I had eight bills in it by now.

I've read stories where guys get a Chibson and were happy with it with little or no mods. Maybe I just got a particularly bad one. At any rate no more Chibsons for me.

Now the sequel to the story: A few days ago I found out Gibson had issued a "Vintage correct" Korina Epiphone Moderne. Damn. It didn't take me long to order one even though I really can't afford it. I had missed out on all the re-issues through the years and I knew I would regret it if I held off this time. I must be mad.

I got it from ZZounds, the only place that seemed to have them. As it is it won't be available until October 25. It was listed at $599 and $119 for the case, the guy gave me sixty bucks off without me asking. They had the case, it arrived yesterday.

Yes, I've gone mad.

24 track likes this.
  20. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I won'l buy a Gibson used for fear of it being a fake...

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.