1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone here ever bought a "Chibson"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 23, 2018.

1. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Curiosity got the best of me.........I bought one and it plays good and looks good.
    I got lucky, I wasn't expecting much.

Attached Files:

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

OK, so here's what happened...

After hearing many of the comments here about the hit-and-miss nature of these things, I went back to the Alibaba Web site read the reviews of the seller much more carefully. While there were a few qualified positive reviews, most of them seemed to be from people that claimed the basses were crap, the seller misrepresented his items, and was dishonest in his business practices, i.e. not accepting returns or issuing refunds, etc.

So, based on the preponderance of information, I started to get cold feet and thinking that it was now much more like that I was throwing my money to the wind, which of course, is not something anybody wants to do. So, since the order hadn't shipped yet, I hit the "cancel" button in my account manager.

The seller sent me a message asking "Why?" (perfectly legitimate question), so I explained to him that my mom had recently had a bad accident (true) and that I needed to save the money to pay her medical bills (not quite true). Alibaba requires sellers to approve cancellations after payment has been made, hence the little bit of a made-up story.

The seller issued the refund. (If the reviewers mentioned above were right, I got lucky; otherwise, they may have been impugning his integrity unfairly, which would suck on their part. I honestly don't know.)

Either way, I've decided I'm either going to by an Epiphone, a used MIJ, or a real Gibson, perhaps a Special, even though I hate "worn finish" guitars. I'm just going to keep looking until something legitimate and reputable crosses my path. I mean, after all, it's not like I'm desperate for the thing, y'know?

So, that's the story. I hope it kept you entertained!

When I find something I like and pull the trigger, I'll be sure to post pics for everyone to see. Wish me luck in my search!

noah330 and 24 track like this.
  3. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I consider buying a Chibson similar to buying cologne from the Dollar Store. You know it's cheap, in every sense of the word, but you're willing to tolerate it's limitations.

Chunkocaster and oyobass like this.
  4. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I wish you luck. I've owned both a Gibson LP Standard and an Epiphone LP. I couldn't get rid of the Epiphone quick enough, I didn't like it at all. My Agile feels like a Gibson in my hands, but doesn't quite play the same yet. It took me some time to get the neck adjusted to my liking, and I still need to finish setting it up. For about one-tenth the price of a Gibson, I think it's a deal.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My buddy got one on eBay a few years ago, not on purpose! It was sold as the real thing, "supposed" to be a real Gibson.
    It took a while but fortunately he ended up getting most of his money back and got to keep and sell the fake guitar.

Personally I wouldn't buy one because it is a counterfeit , if it didn't say Gibson , or Fender, or any other brand, maybe I'd buy one.

I have no problem with gear being made in China, or anywhere else but I don't like counterfeits of any sort.

noah330 likes this.
  6. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I don't think you'd catch me with a chibson, chender or a chickenbacker (love that last one) for two reasons.

#1 I've tried many fender guitars in stores and owned a MIM Strat for a for a couple of years but had to sell sadly due to circumstances. But the entire experience has taught me I shouldn't be a brand snob because I'm perfectly happy with what I play after a few mods anyway and no one but us guitar geeks really scrutinizes a guitar for its brand. People are to busy admiring just how it looks and sounds overall and more importantly how well you play it. So I don't need it to say Gibson up there to make me happy.

#2 I'm just morally against the idea of having a guitar that claims to be something its not. If you want people to think you play a Gibson then you should have to buy one and even then I think it's a little superficial and shallow that brand is potentially more of value to you than the actual guitars' features. I guess that's why I forgive some instances such as when a friend bought a lawsuit copy of a j-bass before the values sky rocketed. It was simply a great bass for a great price and not just a cheap instrument where the main selling point is how much it looks like the real deal.

Just to give a background of what I play, Epiphone Riviera, Squier VM Telecaster, Squier Affinity Strat (no logo because a previous owner put a fender one on so I sanded it off) and a blue guitar (in my signature) which is basically some kind of mongrel I put together. But my favorite guitar I've tried was an elite thinline in a store.

7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

OK! I found an Epiphone EB-3 on Reverb that was extremely reasonably priced AND came with the matching Epiphone hard case:

https://reverb.com/item/13951120-epiphone-eb-3-with-hard-case

The total was just over $280 shipped to my office. That's only twenty dollars more than the Chibson, which did NOT include a case.

It's not short scale, but for that price, hey, you make compromises!

So, fingers crossed (I've been burned on Reverb before), if the bass arrives and is actually as advertised, I'm going to be a very happy camper!

noah330 and 24 track like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a white version of one of these , one of the only right handed guitars I can play upside down,

Here's a pic of mine
    P1011552.JPG

and a pic of my original pawn shop prize for 150.00 ( yeah, I was 17)

14.jpg

have fun when it arrives , dont forget pics!

9. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

I ordered this Resonator from China .I don't know what it is a clone of but we can't find anything wrong with it.:oops: going on 3 yrs now
    IMG_20180629_214650.jpg

24 track likes this.
  10. sixtiesfan

sixtiesfan TDPRI Member

I own 9 Chibson LP's. They are what they are and for me the quality, fit, finish, playability and tone is quite adaquate. I don't have $30,000 to invest in 9 LP's but I did have 2k for my 9 Chibsons. I have a mix of 59 bursts, Goldtops and a couple Sig series models. I love playing all of them with no worries about bumping them or having them getting stolen.

Probably already know that Epi's are made in China and have been for years.
    http://www.epiphone.com/news-featur...ingdao-factory-all-epiphone-all-the-time.aspx
    http://www2.epiphone.com/FactoryTour/qdtour.html

I've seen a lot of junk Chibsons out there and people should be judicious when making a purchase. I found a good resource and my guitars have the more accurate body thickness, horn shape, Epi pick ups (not microphonic), CTS Pots and quick connect system that came stock on the guitars. Seems like over time some of the issues and differences are being improved upon.

Nothing beats the real deal and my USA models tend to do a lot of sleeping, safe and warm in their hard shell cases. My Chibby's sit on their stands and get plenty of playing time.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

http://www.starshine-music.com/products_detail/productId=27.html

I own one of these, acquired in a trade. the owner told me straight up it was a "chibson" or whatever, a fake Gibson. then I poked around and found "starshine" guitars and there it was, with "Gibson" on the headstock.

the guitar looks decent, plays and sounds very good. I've been playing the heck out of it since I got it. I like it and am glad I got it, and that's all I can say.

I want to add that the info at the bottom of the page is mostly wrong. no locking tuners, the fretboard is ebony, the neck is maple, the back is maple.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My buddy has now bought 5 of them. He says they are all pretty good.

13. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I bought a fake Buck Owens tele, and EMPHATICALLY beg any one considering these fakes to pull out! Hack work. 100% unplayable, unrepairable frets/fretwork. You’re going to automatically spend at least double what you’ve spent on repairs and upgrades, and if you’re like me and know little about Gibson, not to mention luthiery, you’re gonna pay out your nose for repair work (and neck replacement ). They are so tempting! How bad can they be? Don’t find out, is my best advice!!!

stewtel likes this.
  14. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

How are they unrepairable? How can the frets not be leveled? Could you post some pictures?

15. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

I REALLY want a Tokai, but they don't come up very often locally and I don't want to drop that much on one I can't see and play first. Maybe one of these days the right one will show up locally on FB marketplace or Craigslist. Though I don't know what to look for since even Tokai are being copied. How do you spot a copy of a copy? Oh well.

16. MonkeyJefferson

They were hammered in with a ball peen hammer, hung of the edges. Glue showed. Bowed and uneven. And they drilled the neck screws in the back of the body crooked, so the holes had to be refilled for a replacement neck. I suppose if I had the additional cash to refret this garbage neck, garbage wood, then no it wasn’t unrepairable. It’s at my pal’s shop, bottom of a pile, sorry no pics....

17. MonkeyJefferson

If you’re going to spend $259 on a fake, put two new pickups ($100, min.) new electronics (40), new tuners ($70), $100 for repair/setup, new hardware ($100), why not just hang and grab a real, used Gibson?

18. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Moderne I got from China. The story is long and sad, one day I'll post it in a separate thread.

DF1C3005-DD99-48A0-9AE9-9C1BB7A55B2B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Ch-what ?!

While there are still plenty of 70’s Japanese lawsuit Les Pauls out there for ridiculously cheap money why would anyone buy a Chibson ?

Plus a lot of them have bolt-on necks which means the adjustability is infinite.

I have less than $130 into the following guitar ( never did replace the pickups) and I just played it this morning and stays in tune like it’s welded...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/n70lpccd-new-70s-les-paul-custom-copy-day.607454/

20. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’ve inherted an Esstcoast semiacoustic. Think it was around £150 new a couple of years ago. Chinese so probably made in a typical Chibson factory but ‘honestly’ branded. Tell you what, it’s a damn good bang for the buck and does all I expect of it. Bit boxy played acoustically but through my Custon Reverb gives a good account of itself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.