1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone here ever bought a "Chibson"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 23, 2018.

1. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Flakey, Anode100 and 65 Champ Amp like this.
  2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

“Only the best thing we do”.

3. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Yoda?

4. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

I'd buy one for fun.

I'd also buy a cheap geiger counter first though to see if the bridge was made out of the nuclear rods that melted down at Chernobyl, sorry, Fukushima. Showing my age.

Even the Chinese need a way to come up in the world. Happened with the Japanese. Happened with the Indonesians. Koreans.

Who knows where it will be tomorrow?

Wales?

"Made in Wales" - I don't think they would sell very many if that was the case. Then again, import duties would be favourable.

I can hear it now boyos: Made in Wales!

And we were singing...

5. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I've never bought one, but I've worked on several (I'm a tech with my own shop). The range in quality from horrible to pretty good. Expect them to need fret work. Often the picture posted on the website isn't what you actually get, and if something goes wrong, you have no recourse.

24 track likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got really lucxky with mine

7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

8. oyobass

oyobass Tele-Meister

My wife bought one (a Les Paul silverburst Custom) used locally. The seller had been fooled into thinking it was genuine when he bought it, but did his research and sold it on as a knock off.
    I did some fret leveling, put a roller bridge and Duncan P-Rails and Triple-shot switching pickup rings in it that I had taken off another guitar.
    Sounds great and plays well, but feels like a turd. Just a mushy, rubbery dead feel.
    Looks beautiful from 10 or 15 feet away, up close it is an obvious fake mess. A rosewood, not ebony fretboard on a Custom is a big tell to those in the know.
    I took a hammer and screwdriver to the "Made in USA" on the back of the neck so I felt better knowing it would be harder to pass off as real by the next guy after I'm done with it.
    I have heard they have gotten much better in the many years since mine was made, but have not played one...

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've looked at those a few times, but couldn't do it. I just felt uncomfortable about it. So instead, I bought a decent LP Custom copy that looks really close, but has the Invader headstock, and a different name on the headstock so its obvious close up that its not a Gibson. Maple neck, carved solid maple top, Alden body. Electronics are bad, but the pickups are ok - they are being replaced now.

I too would like to have an EB-3 short scale. How about an Epiphone? They can be found, and cost about the same, maybe a little less used?

10. 24 track

as i stated you dont need to have the gibby logo on it you can get what ever you want as a logo, so then it becomes a copy not a fake, but some have had quality issues so its buyer be ware

11. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Ha!!

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know a guy who has a Chinese knock off Tuff Dog Merle Haggard Tele. It looks like a Tuff Dog, if you have never seen anything but a pic of one, when you've seen and heard an actual Merle Haggard Signature Tele, you seen about all a Tele can be. They have a set neck, the detail is amazing, and they play super nice, and the Texas Specials sound good, though Merle had different pickups in his guitar. For about 300 bucks, in some cases cheaper, you can get a unique cheap Tele. The hardware is really cheap on them though, and I don't personally believe you could gig with one without something failing and pretty soon. You could change out some stuff and make it a pretty good guitar, but it still wouldn't be a Tuff Dog.

Why I'm saying all of that is, the Chibson would most likely be the same. It would look pretty good sitting on a fence post if you drove by going 60 mile an hour. It would play pretty good if you hadn't ever played a Gibson, or even a good Epiphone. I myself would not be tempted to buy one, 'cause I've gotten the chance to be up close to both Chinese knock offs, and the real things. They are a novelty, and it probably takes someone with a particular mindset to buy one, then OWN it. You might be one of those guys, and there's nothing wrong with that.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You know this thread for some reason brought back the memory of me buying a cheap, but pretty Japanese knife on a school field trip to San Francisco when I was a kid. I don't know whatever happened to that little beauty.

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh I won't be buying one.

stewtel likes this.
  15. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Gotta stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Or how about this one, just pretend old Sir Winston was talking about supporting and participating in the theft of trademarked designs and intellectual property...

"We have already established what you are, Madame. Now, we are negotiating the price."

16. 24 track

well i gained 3 things from mine
    1) a beautiful BD present which I cherish
    2) for about 425.00 CDN I got a fine playing copy with all gibson parts on it, for the price of an epiphone ( lefty Epi's are more expensive)
    3) and most valuable ... a serious education in the finer points of both Gibson and Chibson construction and i can spot a fake from a mile away

so for all intents and purpose all other opinions aside , I'm proud to own it! would I buy another? , maybe, yes, if i was looking for a guitar to experiment on, like testing out different picups etc , these guitars need to be gutted of all electronics and rebuilt on that level so providing everything else is in order these make a fine template to play with and experiment, unless i had to, I may have my name on the headstock rather than Gibson . and from what I've seen of some gibson or Fender quality control that remains questionable.

there isnt much difference to buying a 300.00 copy with a lifted fret that can be fixed up for another 100.00 or a 1700.00 american fender with a reversed warped neck that should not have left the factory,and cost me 350.00 to fix
    its all just a guitar and the rest is just simantics.

dented likes this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I can't tell you how many unsuspecting souls out there over paid for a Chibson thinking they got a great deal on the real thing. The fact that the vast majority of these leave the factory with the Gibson logo on it crosses the line. Sure, the factory may be honest about what they are building and selling, but once they hit the wild they are a godsend for a con.

IMO, Chibson's are the ultimate in "Buyer Beware"! Not only because of shady practices (shipping with the Gibson logo's on a licensed headstock shape) but also because their quality control is non existent.

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I bought a white double cutaway slab body Chunior with a single P-90 and volume and tone controls.
    I paid $235.00 to my door.
    The original 1959 Les Paul Junior DC msrp'd out at $99.50 with a faux alligator chipboard case in 1959.
    Current survivors run for between 3-7K mainly based on condition,who owned them and who's selling them.
    Factory correct DC's seem to be trending between 1500-2200 for Historics.

I will not pay THAT MONEY for ANYTHING that msrp'd out for $99.50 in 1959 - which was 59 years ago.

I did buy a Guardian Cafe Case - AMAZING - for $125.00 - (like a Mark Leaf only lighter, which will hold a Telecaster if You put a hand towel folded over under the body perfectly - for those of us who despise rectangular cases.)

My Chunior has the BIG late 1950's Neck and it is beautifully detailed with jumbo frets.
    That is all.

19. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I've played one.

A mate of mine bought one a couple of years back.

It's pretty good.

Naturally, the guitar needed a set-up and such out of the box, but it's a solid little workhorse.

20. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I have an Agile 3000 that I bought off of Ebay that I'm real happy with after some neck adjustment. Rondo Guitar sells them, a little upwards of $300 I think. don't remember whether they're made in China or Korea. Mine's an older model with a lawsuit-worthy headstock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.