Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 23, 2018.
From what I've seen ... the Chibsons are basically Epiphone from hardware to construction techniques.
Gibson will change sourcing plants for Epiphone guitars as the factory prices go up (Japan->Korea->China->deeper China->Indonesia->...) leaving a capable factory in their wake every time they do it. What are the factories to do? They start making Chibsons.
These two channels have about the best reviews of Chibsons as you'll see across the net.
If you don't mind bolt-on the Epiphone EB-0 is 30.5" and pretty darn cheap.
Their Accoustic diffrnce is easy to check the quality in physical!
I shouldn't laugh. Whatever their native language is, I'm certain their attempts at English are better than I could manage in theirs.
I shouldn't. I'm going to though!. They sail very close to product trademarks. Not as close as the direct Chender, Chibson and Chickenbackers, but at least they have original models.
And, it's an EB-0, not an EB-3. I want the bridge pickup. The neck pickup alone is WAY too muddy to serve a purpose.
thats my point exactly .. there isnt, I just needed to see a negative to compare to a positive, I bought a lot of guitars an line and its easier than ever to get ripped off, my conclusion I wont buy a gibson sight unseen or played! and a good epi is just as dynamic
the only problem is these are righthanded!!!
nice guitars though
No, I'm just saying that an Epiphone LP seems to be the same price as a regular counterfeit, based on what 24Track posted.
you are very correct here , the factory that made mine used Epi machine heads which are bored out smaller than the gibsons , to compensate for that they installed sleeves in the holes so gibsons heads will fit with out modification.
if any one needs to I can list a number of the tells , to demonstrate a fake or not
Experience the difference for yourself when you see it in the physical.
I worked on one a while ago. After the usual cheap guitar rehab (bone nut, fret redress, electronics gutted and replaced.) it was a pretty decent axe. From 10 feet away it even looked like a real Gibson.
I had a look on aliexpress there and ive been toying with the idea of a cheap amp kit build as something to start with. 75euro plus shipping is well worth it for a first build. But as they say, buy cheap, buy twice.
Go for it.
Tell number one: I’m literally telling you it’s a fake.
There are many YT videos that show you from unboxing to dismantling and analyzing just what you get.
this by no means is complete and some of this requires a visual
1) if you see a gibson with a scarf jointed neck -Fake
2) if the cavities are covered in black carbon laced paint -Fake
3) if the guitar has anything but an ABR 1 bridge (usually epiphone type bridge ) - Fake
4) carefully look at the hardware quality machine heads , string alignment, nut slots, gibson does not put grooves in the saddles (ABR) Fake
5) bolt on necks ,and neck alignment ( strings to close to edge of the neck) Fake
6) strings may not align with pickup screws Fake
7) pickups and or bridge out of alignment Fake
8) binding on neck does not match up with the binding on the headstock (look at a real gibson for example)
9) trussrod does not have the gibson nut but a hex head and inside cavity is painted black
10) truss rod cover , sloppy in alignment
11) MOP inlays on headstock not positioned properly, book end head wrong proportions
12 )electronics are cheap pots, chicklet caps really cheap wiring
13) these may have a valid serial # imprinted , check it out and see if that model was made on the date of the serial #
14) all gibsons made in the 70's on have Made in USA and serial # stamped into the back of the headstock then laquered over , chibsons are stamped after laquered
15) check the neck to body alignment if it is off its a fake
16) mine had Epiphone stamped on the bottom of my pickups Fake
17) finish coat is not the same as Gibsons and is deep clearcoat and really pristine
18) both of my gibsons have a bone nut/ chibson plastic
19 the gibson ultima model tree of life ( 10,000.00- 15,000.00 )would not have a plastic jack plate
now other that the alignment issues and potential sloppiness , all other features appear on other chinese made guitars eg scarf jointed neck was on Charvels and Ibanez
just not on gibsons, this is not complete and the factories are really triying to improve on the tells , so the fakes are getting better all the time
I got all of this from doing an A/B with the chibson and my 2 gibsons I have a 70 SG and 96 LP studio
It should be known that the only defect I had that was serious was a loose fret , easy fix , but the guitar was set up and intune on arrival! and packed in 3" of styrophoam
Actually, I think they were made backwards!
Actually, they show up ALL the time on CraigsList and Ebay.....the sellers just don't tell you they're fake. There's simply no way to know how many are in innocent buyers' hands.....
I realized that because of these guitars , Gibsons part sales have skyrocketed, so in some reguard gibson still gets a large piece of the pie. this is probably why there has not been a consorted effort to stop importation of these guitars.
I do believe Gibson had till July 23rd to come up with some serious coins