1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone here built a kit Martin acoustic?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Onebean, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Maybe this isn't the right forum, but I thought I would start here. I was looking at kits on the Martin site, considering attempting to build one. Can it be done without expensive special tools and jigs? The website doesn't give much info. I'm not sure if it's just a box full of boards, if things are cut and ready to assemble, what's done on the neck, and if there is even any instructions.

Onebean

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have some Martin Sides,necks and fretboards here. You will need a form to hold the sides in place while you are working on the box. If you are planning on installing binding, you'll need the hand tools, or router set up to do that too.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had no idea there were Martin kits! Learn somethin new every day!

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitar-maker-s-connection/kits.html

Sides are bent, neck is carved as far as I know. You might want to investigate further before you spend that kind of cash. There are other kit builders out there too..... Stewmac is one...Blues Creek is the other I've heard of.

http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1&

It appears that Luthier's Mercantile has one too.

You may want to visit the OLF...Official Luthier's Forum because I think there is a forum for kit guitars there IIRC .

5. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Even the kits require a lot of semi special tools and jigs I believe. Acoustics take a bit more skill and know how. I've looked into it and if I had the means I would probably of had a build started already. As much as i complain about stewmac always do and always will. I would probably get one of their kits. They look very well built and the bracing which is important if your going for a certain sound seems to be in the right places. I actually just looked up stew mac guitar kits on youtube and they sound really freaking good and there are build videos there so you would know what you are getting into building a kit acoustic what ever brand you decide on.

Here is another good forum/resource for acousticbuilding.I go to this site everyonce in a while and browse not a member but there is a lot of cool stuff, a lot of guys that know there stuff, and it just seems like an all around good forum. Stuff for beginers to literally doing intracate carvings on headstockis and stuff by hand.

6. Onebean

Onebean Tele-Holic

Guitar builder and BartS, thanks for the info. I'm up to my neck in projects right now, so it's a perfect time to start another one. :lol: I'll check out some of those youtube videos, and get a feel for it. Thanks again.

Onebean

7. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

Onebean.
    I am on my second "Martin" kit and yes, as stated, there are a few tools and forms you need to be successful at an acoustic build. I strongly suggest John Hall at Blues Creek Guitar. Also, swing by the http://www.kitguitarsforum.com forum. There are a bunch of builders there that gladly share their knowledge and expertise on a regular and constant bases. Building solid body guitars is amazing and rewarding but successfully build an acoustic is a whole other thing. Good luck...

Sincerely,
    Rich

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

My brother built a D28 kit years ago and it turned out really good.

9. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Isn't that always the case? I've been trying to clean my plate of projects for like a year and it just never ends:D Also just because I said stewart mac Doesn't mean there aern't other kits that are just as good. Acoustics are one of those things for me. There are like ten different tones that i look for that i think are top notch and all of them sound good and it would take ten different acoustics. I mean I will always probably only own one or two and make them get whatever sounds I want and need but there a lot of acoustics that sound different from each other but just as good.

10. Don Miller

Don Miller Tele-Afflicted

I had a friend who built an "M" sized (or whatever "ought" the M size is now) 12 string...It was more a parts order than a kit per se. They sold him 1/2 the back in Brazilian Rosewood because that's all he could afford but it was a really nice sounding guitar....he built is, for the most part on his coffee table with hand tools...he was also a very experienced carpenter and Boatwright...he said it was a lot like building a little boat because you have a lot of subtle curves....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.