Has anyone had a Behringer pedal break ? (The actual pedal part)

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Funny how when u read reviews of them every other review says, and I paraphrase, cheap plastic that likely won't last long but at the price thats ok. But i've yet to hear of one person sat they broke one ! LOL They're just well designed and thats the reason. Like i mentioned above, the way they designed the pedal part's axl it's made so that the strain is taken off it when you step on it. Theres no doubt there are things that can break but no worse than most others. I have had other cheap ones that broke in literally days or weeks including Biyang and monoprice recently. I think the behringers will last, but on a side note theres just something about the plastic i actually like. For one thing they don't chip like painted metal, and i'm not into beat up looking gear like most people. (HATE relics) And i just lie the way they look. Sound is also great. I don't think theres a better deal when it comes to pedals. Would be nice if they were true bypass tho. I only use 2 or 3 pedals so it's not a big deal. But if i wanted to se more i;d worry about tone degrading.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Good bang for the buck. There are definitely better pedals out there for a gigging musician. But for a home pedal board? Hard to beat for the price. Unless you really stomp your pedals like killing a roach or mouse.

My view entirely. If there'd been pedals like these around when I was a youth I most likely wouldn't have quit first time around (man, my first Peavey Rage amp was so dry!) I think a boss pedal would've cost about as much as my cheap amp or guitar back then, maybe more?
Funny how when u read reviews of them every other review says, and I paraphrase, cheap plastic that likely won't last long but at the price thats ok. But i've yet to hear of one person sat they broke one !

I can't find it now but there's a video around of someone trying to destroy a behringer pedal (the brown one); throwing it, kicking it about and jumping on it. It withstood more punishment than one might reasonably expect even a regular pedal to endure on the road.
I have an old Ibanez Soundtank of plastic construction that still functions fine after 25+ years so when I see reviewers parrot the 'fragile plastic construction' line I just shrug now - whatever!

I do have some sympathy towards complaints that Behringer pirate successful designs. The pedals I own are all second hand and mostly copies of discontinued models: The Echo Machine, Push button Chorus Space-C and Blues Overdrive (still saving for an Angry Driver). The SuperFuzz ultimately clones an unobtainium collectable and is too "Dead On" not to have!

Last edited:

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
My view entirely. If there'd been pedals like these around when I was a youth I most likely wouldn't have quit first time around (man, my first Peavey Rage amp was so dry!) I think a boss pedal would've cost about as much as my cheap amp or guitar back then, maybe more?

I can't find it now but there's a video around of someone trying to destroy a behringer pedal (the brown one); throwing it, kicking it about and jumping on it. It withstood more punishment than one might reasonably expect even a regular pedal to endure on the road.
I have an old Ibanez Soundtank of plastic construction that still functions fine after 25+ years so when I see reviewers parrot the 'fragile plastic construction' line I just shrug now - whatever!

I do have some sympathy towards complaints that Behringer pirate successful designs. The pedals I own are all second hand and mostly copies of discontinued models: The Echo Machine, Push button Chorus Space-C and Blues Overdrive (still saving for an Angry Driver). The SuperFuzz ultimately clones an unobtainium collectable and is too "Dead On" not to have!
I have a TS5 soundtank too, tho unfortunately mine has broken a couple times. The jack then the switch. Fixed those things but to be expected since i've used it a lot in the probably almost 30 years i've had it.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
When these Chinese clone companies run the original design companies out of business, where will they pilfer their designs from? Will they come up with their own?

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My experience is if their products work coming out of the box, they may well work forever. Albeit, it will be noisy, but it will work.

dougbgt6

TDPRI Member
Behringer own TC electronic and some TC pedals are reportedly Behringer in a metal box. They're more expensive and reassuringly sturdy. I've never seen one broken, however I have had two die electronically and a brand new one sent back faulty. Not a good record.

Doug

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
My experience is if their products work coming out of the box, they may well work forever. Albeit, it will be noisy, but it will work.
Not in my experience. I have the chorus and tube screamer, both clones and neither is any noisier than the real thing. I have and have had the pedals these were clones of, in fact have had a number of screamer clones and 3 versions of the ibanez ones. I actually like the sound of the chorus as much if not more then the boss it's a clone of and more then other chorus' i recently tried a couple years ago. Thats what i asked about reliability because so far i'm amazed that these are as good as they are and see no reason to look elsewhere if they hold up. But excessive noise....not at all. Maybe some of their pedals but certainly not the 2 i have. I only use a few effects but if i were more of an effects user u can be sure i would be buying more behringers. Bargain of the century far as i'm concerned.

wulfenganck

Tele-Afflicted
I have a couple of "low-budget" pedals, Behringer, Harley Benton, Joyo, Valeton, HoTone, Nux.
The Joyo Flanger was incredibly noisy, One Harley Benton drivepedal was also quite noisy, but the most serious issue was with the power supply socket, which was a bit wobbly.
Yes, some look cheap and "uncool", some sounded just not convincing, but most of them are simply great workhorses. And yes, I have quite some boutique stuff on my main board, but I also have budget pedals, if they do what they should.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't think the plastic will break very easily under normal use. Of course, if one stomps with a heavy, aggressive, foot clad in heavy boots it won't last as long as someone who taps it gently with a bare foot.

The main breakage issue that I've heard about (and done myself) is a misplaced stomp or a drop onto a hard surface breaking the knobs, jacks or their mounting.
I’m a big dude and I wear heavy boots and I feel like I’d have to really, really work to destroy one of those pedals by stomping on them, if it’s even possible.

I think you’re more likely to see the jacks or knobs fail way before that.

That being said, I do have backups for the two behringer pedals that are essential to my guitar sound.

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
I had their echo pedal fail on me though, but it worked one time I used it and didn’t work the next time I tried, and I haven’t taken it apart to look at what’s going on inside yet.

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
But as far as Behringer pedals in their main range are concerned, I do remember once opening up the battery cover and thinking what a pain it is and that could be a way to screw it up, if you open and close it to get to the battery too many times.
Yes, I found changing batteries a major pain, having to push the two sprung buttons in you need three hands. Fine pedals otherwise (I had a reverb).

Last edited:

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Yes, I found changing batteries a major pain, having to push the two sprung buttons in you need three hands. Fine pedals otherwise (I had a reverb).
I already posted this pic but while i agree, it's not an issue for me because....

board-jpg.991406

Last edited:

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Ok, confession time. I built a board to keep at the jamroom so I don’t have to drag the enormoboard to rehearsals. My cheap substitute for my Superfuzz clone is the Behringer SF. Not a bad little pedal, though it’s not a clone of my (well done, by BYOC) clone. The Behringer can’t compete in both musicality or nastiness, both traits I adore in my clone. As well, it sounds either ‘understated’ or mushy at high levels. That said, it’s got a good sound and appears will be stable under my clodhopper.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Behringer chorus never worked. The case to switch mechanism was faulty. I am a fixit type but couldn't get it to work reliably. It was a gift so ended up pitching it.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Behringer chorus never worked. The case to switch mechanism was faulty. I am a fixit type but couldn't get it to work reliably. It was a gift so ended up pitching it.
It's just a little rubber plug on the pedal part that pushes on a garden variety momentary circuit board mounted switch. It would be an easy fix actually whether it was the rubber thing or the switch. Shoulda pitched it my way so i wouldn't have had to buy my behringer chorus. 😁 Love mine by the way. Fav chorus after trying a few others including some vintage clones that are very well respected. Something about it that just sounds right to me.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Well, ironically after this thread has shown hardly anyone ever has issues with behringer pedals, my 2 month old TO800 went wonkey. Not a problem with the housing breaking as i inqured about with this thread, but it turned out to be the switch which is one of those little circuit board mounted buttons. Symptoms were the pedal would randomly turn on and off many time per second creating a raspy sound like a bad intermittent jack and you could see the LED flashing on and off a bunch of times in a second. It would happen when I'm playing but stop when i stopped playing.

So i took it apart and turns out the switch became so sensitive you could touch it without putting even a slight pressure on it and it would trigger. So just a vibration from the speaker hitting it or even blowing on it hard enough would trigger it. So anyways, i have lots of old boards from electronics i tore down and kept for parts when they failed catastrophically and i replaced it even more ironically with one from another budget pedal that failed and was unfixable. Turns out the button switches in that unlike other parts of the build were very high quality and you can feel a very solid click. So replaced it and good to go. But i thought it pretty ironic that this thread was so positive when i inquired about the reliability and then this after only 2 months. no matter anyways since it's working fine again.

Ryden

Tele-Holic
I have several going on for 30 years old now, there wasn't much else to buy pre Internet.

I've lost a few springs when changing batteries and fixed a couple of jacks but no other problems.

My main grief whit them is the placement of the 9V jack on the side, I tried to tidy up by replacing the patch cables with solid connectors and every 9V plug I've tried is just a tiny bit too long to make it work.

Anybody knows a source of smaller plugs?

Gaz_

Tele-Holic
I have several going on for 30 years old now, there wasn't much else to buy pre Internet.

I've lost a few springs when changing batteries and fixed a couple of jacks but no other problems.

My main grief whit them is the placement of the 9V jack on the side, I tried to tidy up by replacing the patch cables with solid connectors and every 9V plug I've tried is just a tiny bit too long to make it work.

Anybody knows a source of smaller plugs?
I'm in the uk, but what you need to look for are Pancake Patch Cables

s-l1600.jpg

Ryden

Tele-Holic
That's what in moving away from, it's the 9V plug that's too tall.

I would like to use these

featured_couplers-800x240.png

Last edited: