Has anyone had a Behringer pedal break ? (The actual pedal part)

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
I know they are cheap and the jacks will almost certainly go bad unless you have it solidly mounted on a pedal board so the jacks never have to be plugged and replugged and have pressure on them. They way i have them on a board theres no issue there. And the pots are tight and smooth. The only thing i am worried about tho is the pedal part. It's so flimsy i noticed that unless u press it exactly in the middle it will bend quite radically with the side you pushed on going down about 1/4" further than the other side ! Unless this plastic is some wonder plastic ii can't see the pedal part lasting very long. Theres very little plastic around the axl too.

But the thing is, as bad as it looks i have yet to hear of anyone mentioning the pedal part breaking. So i'm asking, has anyone with behringer pedals experienced that? I figure i can always pull the pedal part of and mount a carling momentary where the battery goes (don't use the battery compartment anyways)or glue the pedal part on and mount the switch in that. One way or another i can jury rig it, but i'm hoping i can avoid that ugliness.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't think the plastic will break very easily under normal use. Of course, if one stomps with a heavy, aggressive, foot clad in heavy boots it won't last as long as someone who taps it gently with a bare foot.

The main breakage issue that I've heard about (and done myself) is a misplaced stomp or a drop onto a hard surface breaking the knobs, jacks or their mounting.

AcresWild

TDPRI Member
I recall discussions from not too long ago where many guitar forums goers confirmed that none of us present at the time have ever seen any pictures of broken behringers, or certainly not enough to correlate with how much it's mentioned

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Good to know. It's just surprising given how bendy the pedal part is. Other then the little 2 cent board mounted momentary button switch which i can easily replace, the pedal part is the only thing i have to worry about. Maybe the plastic has some nylon in it or something, but where the axl is theres so little plastic i can't believe they could last many years. Maybe they haven't been out long enough to stand the test of time. I'll tell you this tho, the chorus might be my fav to date and thats after having some well respscted ones, If that breaks i might re-house it because i have even tried the CH-1 it;'s supposedly a clone of and i like it more.

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Is this before OR after I have thrown it against the wall?!??😂

Seriously no never had any trouble with a behringer switch…jacks and overall quality of sound (the acoustic pedal in particular) but not the switch…

Frsnc Robert

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
No.

I have six of them. Never had anything break.

I have three Behringer mixers of varying sizes. No failures in 5 to 20 years of use, depending on how large the model.

I have three ULTRA-G GI100, two GDI21, one BDI21, and one ULTRA-DI D120 direct boxes. None have ever failed over the last 3 to 20 years.

I don’t abuse my equipment. But between gigging and worship use, all of the Behringer devices I’ve used have been rock-solid reliable and high value for their cost.

People seem to believe what they read. Of course, YMMV.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
No. I've gigged 2 for last 10 years - a chorus & a tuner.
I use them alongside my Boss pedals, which of course, are bomb proof.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Wow. This just solidifies what a bargain they are ! The TO800 sounds just like my old tube screamer even tho the knobs must be set a bit different to achieve the same sound. And the chorus....well, i mentioned that above. If they don't break easily i see very little reason to buy anything else. The boss chorus that the behringer replaces is $136. I could buy 5 for that and have enough left over for lunch. Thats insane.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
About twelve years ago I ordered a Delay/Reverb pedal which was DOA, I replaced it with individual Biyang and Joyo pedals. I have had the VT999 Vintage Tube Monster for ten years with no problems.

Twenty years ago I bought a Xenyx 8 channel mixer, later buying the 2442fx USB, 1002B (used) and XR18 mixers. V-AMP PRO rack mount multi-effect/amp simulator (used). Pairs of B205D, B215D (used) powered speakers and a B1500D active sub (used). Three XM8500 mikes, Ultra DI800 8 channel DI, a pair of Ultra DI20s, HA8000 8 channel headphone amp, and a FBQ1000 feedback destroyer (used).

I have had no problems with any of them. A friend of mine has the old POD type V-AMP, he has hot glued the power cable in place as he was having problems with the socket. That's all.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Ahhh, i see now why the pedal doesn't break. Hard to explain, but if you look at the axl while pressing down on the pedal you can see the axl itself moves. Look at it and you'll see what i mean. So that keeps stress from breaking where the holes are for the axl. These guys knew what they were doing when they disigned these.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
No, but I have a Boss pedal that broke. The switch is really sticky and the electronics stopped working.

I opened it up, but haven't gotten around to checking it out because I have other chorus pedals I can use instead.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
If treated normally, they will not break. I don't mistreat them nor any other pedal I have on my boards. Why would anyone want to do that anyway? They are great if you want to try out a specific type of pedal without dropping a lot of money to do so. They are mostly cloned pedals so if you really like a specific sound, you can buy the real thing if you want, or not.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
If the enclosure is broken, IMO it's from abuse, or some unintentional accident.

My only concern is wear-related malfunctions of the jacks and pots, and then if anything is serviceable. That said, there are other pedals with metal enclosures that also have less long-lived jacks and pots, so this isn't just a Behringer issue.

What I absolutely prefer to avoid are pedals with the little pots with plastic shafts. It's almost not worth replacing them if one wears out, assuming you can find a 1:1 replacement part at all.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Well, if you have a look at the end of the pedal part from the rear view while pushing it down on one side rather then the middle. You will see the plastic bend like crazy. So i figured thats gonna break it at the axl. But as i noted in post 11, i now see why it likely won't break, at least not for many years. If you do what i just described but look at the axl area you will see the entire axl moves down. So the way it's designed s to "give" wherever it needs to in order to not put strain on any part of the plastic. Pretty ingenious i'd say. Seems they put serious thought into how to build a plastic pedal while figuring out how to avert the problem of breakage. They also made the jack holes so they would not have movement with the leverage a plug presents when move or removed/insterted. I still do trust that tho, but it won't be an issue on my board. But I wouldn't trust the jacks for longevity using it by itself and not on a board. I think tehy'd hold up for years but not as long as a metal jack mounted with a nut.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
But as far as Behringer pedals in their main range are concerned, I do remember once opening up the battery cover and thinking what a pain it is and that could be a way to screw it up, if you open and close it to get to the battery too many times.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
But as far as Behringer pedals in their main range are concerned, I do remember once opening up the battery cover and thinking what a pain it is and that could be a way to screw it up, if you open and close it to get to the battery too many times.
Yeah, but for me i have them mounted on a board with 9v battery holders that plug into the wall wart power jack so i don't need to remove that PITA part.
board.jpg

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
Good bang for the buck. There are definitely better pedals out there for a gigging musician. But for a home pedal board? Hard to beat for the price. Unless you really stomp your pedals like killing a roach or mouse.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
No, but I have a Boss pedal that broke. The switch is really sticky and the electronics stopped working.

I opened it up, but haven't gotten around to checking it out because I have other chorus pedals I can use instead.

I'll see your broken Boss and raise you four broken Boss pedals(HM-2 and MZ-2 with snapped off pots, an FZ-2 with
a busted LED and an LS-2 with a really untrustworthy switch). No broken Behringers yet though.

Telecastoff1

Tele-Afflicted
Nope, I've never had a Behringer pedal fail or break. Reliable and great-sounding. Everyone was saying the same thing about plastics 50+ years ago in the automotive industry, and nothing takes more abuse than one's vehicles. Plastics have proven themselves to be just fine in many environments and applications. Behringer is good stuff.