Has Anyone Got the oak grigsby 6 way switch to work?????

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by stephent2, Apr 10, 2020.

1. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm no genius when it come to wiring, I copy control plates I've made up, one for standard one for a reverse plate, always a 3 way switch. And I have no problem w/ a 5 way. I admit it, I am limited in this area.

But damn if I can figure out the oak grigsby 6 way switch for a three pickup guitar w/ a single volume and tone. This switch reports to offer the standard 5 way sounds plus the coveted neck and bridge pickups together like a traditional 3 way switch would offer.

I found three or four different wiring diagrams on the interwebs, tried two so far,.. I spent a hour today and gave up to rest my poor brain. I won't go through the layouts I've tried, let's just say I'm stumped until I can reach out to smarter folks tomorrow.

But hey, lot's of experience here so,... If anyone has this oak grigsby 6 way switch working w/ a three pickup, one volume, one tone set up and is willing to help, please do. I can tell you the Stew Mac diagram didn't work, and I'm good at following directions,..

So, TDPRI Folks, if you got the oak grigsby 6 way switch, w/ one vol, one tone to work for you,.. can you draw me out a simple diagram???

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

What are the symptoms of it not working ? If it's just positions 1 and/or 6, the first thing to check would be the increased slot length required for the switch to reach those positions cleanly.

televillian likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Don't have one but this is the way it works and a modified Stewmac diagram for 1V, 1T. Don't forget to ground the tone pot, it's not shown on the diagram.

Oak_Grigsby_6_Way_operation02.jpg Strat_6_way_switch_1V_1T_stewmac.jpg

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. stephent2

well, that was the first thing i did to install the switch. it was the easy part.

5. stephent2

OK, I've found a 3rd diagram that's of course different from the other two I've tried. I will report back if it works. And different from the one modified Stew Mac @Tuxedo Poly posted (and I do appreciate your help).

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Use a meter set to continuity (or resistance) to explore the workings of the switch. This way you can build your own map, and needn't rely on contradictory stuff online.

I've not used the switch yet, so can't be more specific.

7. moosie

8. stephent2

Thanks, saw that, it's what got me going on the 6way. When I say I'm a functional idiot on wiring, it's not an exaggeration. I know folks can look at those diagrams and it all makes sense, not me. Must be a learning disability. I can follow directions but am lost if I have to make assumptions about switch orientation, etc.

I built a PAIA syth kit back in the day (I was 16-17 yrs old), it all worked but I followed directions, they must have been pretty good. And to this day I am better w/ a solder pencil than most but I obviously have my limitations.

https://www.paia.com/about.asp

I have an idea about my third attempt I'm going to try,.. we'll see. If all else fails, maybe a 5way switch is the answer, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet, again thanks for posting.

9. moosie

For what it's worth, orientation doesn't matter on any of these blade switches. Even this one. If you spin one 180 degrees, it's the same switching logic.

Also, with all blades, because of the axle, when the switch tip is closest to the headstock, the lugs nearest the butt of the guitar will be engaged, and vice versa (not counting the common lugs).

According to the PG diagram, the switch is like a Strat 5-way, but with an extra lug on each pole. A Strat switch has lugs 1,3,5. Position 2 is really 1+3 combined. The wiper actually makes contact with both at once. And position 4 is really 3 + 5.

Well here, it's the same, except there's another lug. So, count them as for positions 1, 3, 5, and 7. Yeah, I know... no 7. Not having seen the switch yet, I'd bet a dollar that there is a position 7, if only the shaft rotated far enough.

Anyway, here's the layout. As I mentioned, note if you spin the switch so the spring is on top, it's all still the same.

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 07.35.47 PM.png

And here are the internal connections being made in each position. You could prove it with a meter.

EDITED image. It did not match the scheme shown in the pic above. This one does.

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 01.27.59 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    stephent2 likes this.
  10. stephent2

@moosie, thanks for your help! I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and report back.

11. moosie

Here's the typical ordering I'd expect from this wiring, but you can change it to some extent. I know you already have this, but I need to draw it for my own brain anyway...

Screen Shot 2020-04-11 at 09.01.21 PM.png

12. stephent2

Maybe I got a bad switch, can't imagine that being the case but I suppose it's possible. I've wired it up six times, using all variables and followed a few versions of 6way switching diagrams, Stew Mac, the above (thanks again @moosie) and the one from Premierguitar. In the last attempt the pickups howled in two positions!

I just wired it up w/ a CRL 5way switch, a no-brainer and it all works as expected. Strings go back on tomorrow and I'm going to be happy, dang it!

As it happens I'm building another guitar w/ two pickups, w/ the same neck and bridge pickups I have on this guitar, so it'll have that lovely middle position w/ a 3way switch.

I've decided that whoever is in charge up above never intended teles to have 6way switches. It's just one position to many.

I've got a buddy who's better at visualizing this stuff. I'm going to see if he can make it work on one of his strats. I will post a pic of the guitar tomorrow just for grins. Thanks to all who chimed in!!

13. Tuxedo Poly

My understanding is that the internal connections are like this as in post #3. It doesn't have any affect on the 1V 1T wiring but would make a difference if using 1V 2T Strat wiring using both banks.

Moosie_6_Way_mod.jpg

14. moosie

I edited the earlier post. My overall scheme follows the PG article, but I failed to heed it when I drew the internal connections. All corrected now.

I really hope it's not as you (and StewMac) describe, with one pole on a single lug, and the other on a shared pair (in-between position). That'd be a nightmare to use.

My switch should arrive in a few days. I'll post the result.

stephent2 likes this.
  15. stephent2

Pic as promised: All buttoned up, strung up, pickup heights adjusted and happy w/ a 5way switch. After a grueling three days trying to get that POS 6way to work w/ much help from friends here and close by,.. I’m here to declare that the godz never intended guitars to have 6way switches, it is one position too many (and I’m assuming I got a bad switch, since I wired it with every damn way imaginable). Five is the limit, no talkocaster will ever sport a 6way switch.

For the geeks, Two Budz Alnico8 p90s (4.7k neck and 5.3k middle) and the outstanding Budz 6.6k bridge. This is a different p90 set from my standard t90 model which uses a custom set, Budz 10k in the bridge and 6.22k p90 w/ alnico3&5s. Since I had to file out to lengthen the switch slot on the original control plate for the 6way, I broke into my stash of Stew Mac control plates w/ the slanted switch slot, darn nice plate and way less expensive than the boutique brand (who'll I'll not name) thicker too.

[​IMG]

16. stephent2

Excellent and best o' luck!

Tho as a wise man has said, Five Fingers, Five Positions. As The Maker intended.

17. Tuxedo Poly

Still not correct imho
    Mechanically position 6 has to be a mirror of position 1 if following the 5 way convention.

18. moosie

Not sure what you're saying. On a 5-way, the two poles are the same, just shifted physically (which we don't care about), and with commons on opposite ends. In other words, pos 2 & 4 are shared lugs, on BOTH poles.

I'm not sure what it matters that pos 1 and 6 both be the same (single vs shared). If, as you say, mechanically it's an issue... is it? If you just slip an extra pair of lugs into a five way, shifting the common over a bit, on one pole, to accommodate... you have the ability to have 1-7, working identically to the original 1-5. That said, no slot is going to allow that rotation, so it's a 6-way. That's why I said I strongly suspect it's actually a 7-way, with an non-accessible 7th position.

If you point is going over my head, apologies. Maybe we just wait and see. Supposed to arrive ... Thursday. Fingers crossed on USPS.

19. Tuxedo Poly

Edited drawing still different to the Premier Guitar. Here's a side by side comparison. Premier on left, edited on right.

Moosie_6_way_Premier_compare.jpg

20. moosie

OK, I give up, and will go hang my head. Can't wait till that damn switch gets here. I'll throw it right in the trash, 'cause it's obviously "wrong" :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.