1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone found a replacement bridge for the bullet tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fender4life, Oct 10, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that. That was one of the possible reasons i considered and why i almost always pass on alternative fretboard woods. That very thing has bitten me before. Till now i have passed on them because of the switch to IL. The IL board looks very much like rosewood w/o close inspection....any suggestions on how i could find a RW version online? Maybe the year by serial# ? I know the classic vibes went to IL when they went from china to indonesia. Is it the same with the bullets, about 2017?

2. Kennya123

Kennya123 TDPRI Member

I bought a Hipshot retrofit bridge. I still needed to drill new Holes but it covered up the old holes unlike a true vintage style bridge. It was as expensive as the guitar though and it’s still not a true drop in conversion. DB327C1A-1153-4C04-B514-687EAA231012.jpeg

3. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

LutherBurger and tubegeek like this.
  4. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

tubegeek likes this.
  5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

A couple comments:

As someone suggested earlier, for your low strings sounding muddy, try upgrading to a set of all-steel (not nickel jacketed) strings like D'addario Pro Steels.

Also, highly recommend bone nut as well. I upgraded mine in the last 2 weeks or so and am totally happy with the change.

Finally, on my cheap Tele clone copy, I had all the same fit/composition and sound issues with bridge (and saddles). I ended up swapping out bridgeplate and saddles. If you don't mind going top-load and tweaking the mount holes (it is 3-hole mount, vs 4), this one I have found works pretty well:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-...l-Baseplate-Fits-Telereg-Chrome-_p_24489.html
    ($14)

It will stand out as unconventional (which doesn't bother me in the least), but as far as adjustments and sound go, it pops right in almost seamlessly. I found it to be a huge improvement over the stock unit. The top-loading strings seem to make no difference on my particular guitar. One nice thing is it really IS a dense hunk of steel with good chrome plating (compared to the pot metal/zinc things that come stock on most imports). The adjustment screws are much longer than the stock ones as well (with decent springs to match) -- which is nice if you have trouble with intonating certain strings.

YMMV, HTH.

Edit: Another thing that I ended up doing on mine, was to remove the finish from under the bridgeplate. Whatever that polyester or polyurethane is, it is a horrible absorber or filterer of vibrations from bridge-body. After I removed that and upgraded the bridge, the guitar began to sound like a bonefide Tele.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  6. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Because it says that brass provides better intonation? :lol:

7. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

No, because the OP of this thread was the OP of that thread!

tubegeek likes this.
  8. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

You guys just love to read whatever you want into things. I'll explain myself but it's so frickin tiring trying to explain things when none of you are HERE watching my journey and timeline and won't back off even after i explain it because you just love being this kind of thing.

YES, those saddles not only helped immensely but also sound great on my strat where they are now and they helped to the point i've been playing it 90% more then before. But try and understand this if it's not to hard. You have a tele that on a scale of 1-10 is a 2. Worse i have owned to date and if not for the fact i loved the neck i would never have bothered trying to improve it. I then did a mod that brings it to a 6. Pretty huge improvement, no? But you now have a tele that's a 6. Not exactly killin And after a brief period of play the improvement wears off and you still have certain inherent "qualities" that still leave you very unhappy with it. Not near as much, but enough that you decide to dump it unless the last thing left to try works. That being the bridge plate which i found doesn't exist after posting this thread.

I have zero doubt many of you have been thru that kind of thing, so how about just acting civil and adult and understanding that you are missing something here because you aren't here standing next to me watching every moment in this journey? Having to explain every tiny detail so that things like this don't happen is why my posts are so long. Why do you people have to turn this place into a kindergarten? I come here to learn and help others when i have answers but more then any other forum by far this happens and it's so damn tiring.

Ted Keane and TequilaCaster like this.
  9. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Hey man, I hope you didn't take my comments in the wrong way, just thought it was a funny coincidence.

I totally understand the journey, the best and worst decision of my life was starting to mod guitars. Once you find out you can make everything better you can’t stop trying.

I am a little confused about what you’re after, is it just a “Better” (different) bridge that fits without mods to see if that livens up the guitar? Because if you’re willing to go top loader, the suggested https://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-...l-Baseplate-Fits-Telereg-Chrome-_p_24489.html is very similar to an old AXL guitar I had, and that played lovely!

10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to hear how this happened:

11. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for letting me know up front, how much value you will assign to other people's opinions.

With kindest regards, you simply have to play the hand you are dealt here. I think a Bullet can be made to work but many just don't. No, actually there are a variety of different bridges used on various "Squier" label products - more than one might think.

I'm gonna sit tight. I think we could help you, but you just told me you don't want any more help.

68Telebass likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you are fighting some muddiness then find a new pot that reads at the high end of the spec as close to 275k as possible. You can jump to a 500k pot for more brightness 'and mids', perhaps find one at the low end of the spec 450k or more brightness at the high end toward 550k.

If you are fighting a much too dark pickup, use a series cap on the pickup's hot lead, 0.047uF is a good starting point. This cuts the internal capacitance of machine wound pickups making them more like hand-scatter-wound performers.

I'd leave the bridge plate stock. If you can find a steel plate to put under the bridge pickup then that can change things around. I've cut house octagon box covers to fit before and their thickness works quite well at reflecting the pickup magnetic field at the strings. Otherwise spend the experimental fixing time on the pots 'n caps to get the tone shifted. I assume you've already exhausted setting pickup height adjustments, by ear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.