1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone fitted concentric knobs on a Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackson753, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I am thinking of fitting a humbucker in the neck of a Telecaster. One thought was that the if there was tone and volume for both pick ups there would be more variety of sounds. The control panel is fine as it is but I can't see how it be expandrd beyond more than 3 knobs and the switcher. Looking at some cool Fender bass knobs I came across some concentric examples. I thought this could be away of getting more out of the space available.

Here us an example of what I was planning but with normal knobs at the moment.

2.jpg IMG_20201107_163101245.jpg IMG_20201105_133057816.jpg

2. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

I was thinking of fitting the concentric Knobs for Deluxe Jazz Bass.

radiocaster and brookdalebill like this.
  3. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

I had a partscaster I put togther with a humbucker sized P90 in the neck, and I used dual concentric knobs. It was my first project and I was overambitious with the wiring, apart from anything else, there isn't much room left in the control cavity with the bigger pots, so it took a few tries to get it to fit. They did work fine once I managed to get it wired neatly, but after a couple of years one of the pots stopped working and I decided to change it to 2 single pots, and I don't really miss the concentrics.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great idea!
    I’d want the volume on the bottom and tone on top.
    I wonder if that’s possible, though I don’t see why not.
    Cool Tele, BTW!

5. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

Maybe it's much simpler to have just the two controls?

Like this:

IMG_5484.jpeg

6. AntoStrummer

AntoStrummer TDPRI Member

How about a blend pot if you are thinking of just volume (then you can use two tones if necessary if you fit a three pot plate), I had one on the old Pawn Shop 72 and it worked really well, similar layout. I put a concentric on a Patrick Eggle Berlin pro once and I found it really awkward.

upload_2020-11-8_14-52-55.jpeg

7. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

That's smart.
    Is that what Brent Mason has on his guitar.
    So I get two tones and one master volume?
    I am guessing that you could also do it the other way with two volumes and one tone?

Thanks as I really know nothing about this stuff.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had that going, for a while but the elevation of the combined knobs really bugged me. That whole control plate assembly is somewhere in a box now.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I tried concentric pots a couple times. The ones I tried had chrome knobs. The problem I had was both turning at once, so if I thought I was adjusting volume, the tone turned too. and vice versa. I never quite did get away from that and gave up on the idea.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. AntoStrummer

The one I used was volume only (sorry - the way I phrased it was a bit confusing!), it would be tough to do a blend tone control as the way they work is centre gives both pickups, turn one way and one p/u fades out and the other comes up and vice-versa, so you maintain the same volume and the pickup mix changes, thinking about it i wonder if that was instead of a tone control, otherwise you would have no way to reduce the volume!

So one option would be to have a Volume pot, a blend pot and one overall tone pot, that's not so good as I have a 72 custom and a great sound is both PUs on full with the tone turned down a little on the bridge, you need two tones for that.

Yeah, more of a tough one than I thought.....

11. AntoStrummer

The more I think about it, if you have a volume, and a tone, you just as well use the last spot for another volume rather than a blend.

You could in theory get a blank control plate and mini pots and fit four in line with a toggle switch, be pretty ugly on such a fine looking beast though!

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’ve seen several Teles with eccentric knobs, go for it!

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I used a stacked pot and jazz bass knobs on my Cabronita to add a tone control.
    E355FD6B-5B6D-4151-9ACA-CD31E299F90E.jpeg

Nozebleeds, Macrogats and donrichfan like this.
  14. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

IMG_20201108_213923622.jpg That Cabronita looks nice very svelte.
    Smart looking guitar. I've got another Tele a Performer. This has a humbucker route the other guitar doesn't. I've been too busy to take the guitar apart and I am thinking that WRHB is a big pick up I may need the route enlarged. I'm.going off the fussiness of the concentric knobs. If they turn together I may as well not bother. Then I get to thinking the Custom is a great guitar with the Tele/Deluxe sounds and blends. Very versatile.

15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I have a concentric pot and knobs on my LH-ized Fender FS-52 Lap Steel, in order to save space for my picking left hand :

[​IMG]

Sorry, it's not a Tele... :oops:

-tbln.

16. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seems like you're getting every answer other than the direct answer to your question. Yes, I have used stacked pots with concentric knobs on a tele. I personally have one wired to be a regular tone control on top and a Reverend-style bass cut/contour control on the bottom. But if you want to use 500K/500K stacked pots with concentric knobs to serve as the volume/tone controls for your neck humbucker, and 250K/250K stacked pots to serve as the volume/controls for your bridge singlecoil, you can do that, it'll fit fine unless you have an unusually small control cavity, and it will fit onto a standard Tele control plate.

17. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Don’t know if this helps but I used a concentric pot for volume (top) and tone depth (bottom) with P-Bass knurled knobs. In the other knob position I used a 6-position rotary varitone switch. Lots of different tones available.

Jay Jernigan likes this.
  18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic

I think that Wayne A. nailed it.
    It could come down to what you ultimately find less awkward: concentrics or a three knob layout.
    Either way you can achieve a pickup blending setup. Three knob is master tone, only, though.

19. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

It's actually been a very helpful source of feedback the neck pick up is an original 78 WRHB I was thinking along the lines of 500k but two people have told me the original pots for that were 1 meg.

I did consider buying a Fender Classic Series '72 Telecaster Custom there's a demo one at £799 but the thin frets are putting me off but it might be a good guitar? The Vintera ones look good but I don't like any of those funky colour and fretboard combinations and another black guitar is not what I want. I do have a Deluxe Black Dove P90 I did think of swapping in a loaded Wide Range pickguard but the Deluxe wouldn't be as versatile as a Custom. I've got the Perfomer with 51 Nocasters and I am happy with the neck and frets. The concentric pots facilitate the blend options which do make the Custom more versatile in my opinion to the Deluxe.

20. Jackson753

Jackson753 Tele-Meister

This may be over cooking it?
    Is this option worth looking at: 3 knobs 1 x volume, 1 x tone, the last knob concentric tone and volume?

That way there is not too much concentric there is just one to deal with.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.