Has anyone built a Franklyn Amps kit?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mikestearns, Nov 12, 2019.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I just ordered a Franklyn Amps 5F1 chassis kit minus tubes for a first time build. I'm curious if anyone's built these before and how they compare to other kits.

dcupright likes this.
  2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

3. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I was looking at the 5E3 first, but decided on the 5F1 as a first build. It seems simpler, and I'm building it as a gift for a relative that doesn't play with other people at the moment so 5 watts I feel like is plenty. The layout is a little different than the mojotone kit, though not by a lot. I ordered it without the cabinet, so I'm not sure.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  4. stilesg57

stilesg57 Tele-Holic

This may be my winter project -- keep up the updates and let me know how your kit turns out.

Looking between this kit, the Weber, the Boot Hill and the Mojotone for a first amp build project.

5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

It went pretty well. The only problems I had were my own doing. First issue - I didn't ground the power amp section properly resulting in not getting any sound. Second - I mis-wired the preamp section going into the power tube resulting in the volume knob not working. Once those were sorted out it worked great and sounds awesome. It doesn't come with instructions, just a wiring diagram, which is essentially the same as the diagram here https://robrobinette.com/How_To_Build_a_Tube_Amp.htm I'd spend some time reading on that site if you haven't to get a background on how an amp works and what does what. Don't rush and test things as you go and you won't end up with the issues I had.

JohnnyCrash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.