1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has anyone built a 6G3 Brown Deluxe clone?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bo 402, May 9, 2009.

1. bo 402

bo 402 TDPRI Member

After giving this a lot of thought, I'm thinking of building one of these. Here's why:
    1. Over the last 30 years, I have played several brown Deluxes in stores that I thought were the perfect gnarly Fender sound.
    2. I prefer the sound of a push-pull power stage, and this would be the lower watt version. I also want the tube rectifier. I might do a head only version.
    3. Real brown Deluxes are bringing crazy money, far more than their intrinsic value, i.e. what it might cost to build one myself.
    4. The blackface Deluxe AA763 is nice, but it's a completely different amp.
    The brown Princeton 6G2 is also not the same circuit, different phase inverter and iron, so that could be why I don't recall ever being blown away by the sound of one of those.
    Has anybody else been through this process? Id be interested in any tips you might have.

danlad likes this.
  2. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Brown Deluxe

I built an Allen Hot Fudge/w Nuts a couple of years ago It is based on the Brown Deluxe (6G3) with the tremolo from the Brown Vibrolux (6G11) plus a few changes like a choke and bias adjustment pot. Excellent amp and HIGHLY RECOMMEND if you are thinking of going with a kit. This is one of the Allen kits that does not come with instructions - just a parts list and layout which is fine if you have built amps before.
    I have since sold the HF/w Ns and built a very similar amp in an Allen Encore cab and chassis that I got used from David. I'm using lower voltages than Allen. I went for voltages at or slightly about the vintage specs. I like it best with 6L6s. Like the HF I used a choke and bias adjustment pot.
    I've never played an original Brown Deluxe so I can't offer a valid comparison to the HF/w Ns or to my amp. My amp has less gain than the HF/w Ns. I was aiming for a cleaner tone. I sometimes have to shake my head in astonishment that a homebrew can sound so good, especially the tremolo.

Mark

Attached Files:

3. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

4. BarryW

BarryW TDPRI Member

I highly recommend the HFWN, I built one and it is an awesome amp. It sits atop a 2X12 and it is just a delicious amp.

5. cminor9

cminor9 TDPRI Member

I just built a 6G3 as a head. Just got all the bugs worked out of it and have played it for about 6-8 hours now, in both jamming alone settings and with my band.

Before that, I built a 5E3. For now, I still prefer the 5E3. The 6G3 doesn't seem as dynamic. I can crank the 5E3 and vary the tone with the guitar's volume knob. The 6G3 of course does this as will any amp, but not to the extent I have grown accustomed to with the 5E3. You don't play a 5E3, you put it on. Actually, the 5E3 has a more saturated OD sound to it, too. The 6G3 does have this nice treble bite, though, that the 5E3 doesn't have. Scratching on the 5E3 sounds like wood, and the 6G3 sounds like metal if that makes sense. And the trem is absolutely wonderful. A strat thru that amp with the trem on is absolutely delicious.

It comes down to what you like, I guess. Everyone knows what a blackface sounds like. The first time I played a tweed it was an experience. I had never played a brownface...so I built one. Maybe tweeds are more my thing. Or maybe I haven't found the sweet spots on this thing yet.

But if you know you want one, go for it. It wasn't that hard. I had some problems mostly cause I let myself get a little sloppy. For a head, I think I spend roughly $550 sourcing the parts myself. Not many people make head kits for those, and I am not interested in combos. In fact, I don't know of many brown fender kits at all. Mouser is your friend, and for what you can't get there Antique Electronic Supply has it.

6. uncon77

uncon77 TDPRI Member

Would someone who has built a Brown Deluxe, 6g3, kindly measure their chassis?

7. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Having played all the Brown circuits to me, the Super is the King of the Brown line and specifically with two alnico 10" speakers Weber10A125 I think it is. I recapped a 63 and re-speakered it as well. I didn't want to give it back.

8. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 6G2, 6G3, 5E3, and a AB763, all original. I can't find anything too objectionable with any of them, except the lack of headroom with the 5E3. Frankly, it's up to your taste and what you like. Given the right day, the right song, the right mood, all of my 18 amplifiers have a place.
    Having said that, I'd pick the AB763 from the four mentioned above if I could only have one. If cash is short, you'd be best served by taking the time to visit a few music stores with vintage gear and try them out. I tend to keep everything I buy, but I don't see the purpose in turning equipment over for something else just because I didn't absolutely love it. What guitarist only has one guitar? Treat yourself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.