Has anybody tried Solarez grain sealer?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by UPtele, Aug 1, 2020.

1. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister

If this stuff does what it says it does it seems promising UV cures in minutes I guess

I hate grain filling with a passion

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

There are several threads on this here in the forums, AFAIK. And yes, I've used it. Works as advertised. (see my Brotherhood Build thread in Tele Home Depot) One thing...once cured, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned before proceeding to next steps. I found it to have a slippery film after curing.

3. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister

Thanks Jim. I did a search and nothing came up

4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/solarez-uv-polyester-gloss-resin.695660/

I have not used it. Brian Howard has a good analysis of several other UV cured finishes on his blog but not Solarez. I guess I don't see any advantages over finishing resin and I know I can dilute resin with DA to enhance wood when I don't need a pore filler.

Edit to add, here is another thread about UV finishes (again, not Solarez) on one of the lutherie forums. There have also been several articles in American Lutherie magazine

http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10101&t=53391

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Having repaired surfboards for years I was very familiar with Solareze when it was first recommended as a grain sealer.

My take:

1. It's only usable for opaque finishes. It does not take stains or dyes well as it does not have fibers that absorb color.

2. The working qualities require much more precision/timing accuracy than other fillers, but it alos cures far faster - on sunny days!

3. It's relatively expensive compared to Mohawk and other conventional fillers.

4. The cost is increased exponentially due to the amount of practice required - do not EVER use it on a guitar without enough practice on scrap to perfect your application technique.

That being said - like it and use it from time to time, but I have the advantage of having used extensive amounts in fiberglass repair and also having worked extensively with UV-cure coatings systems.

I do not recommend it for beginners, or even experienced finishers who have little to no experience with UV cure systems - the practice material coast is just too high.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.