Has anybody else installed a Plate Voltage External Test Point?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Platefire, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

This is why I got lazy in my old age and (unless I have to open an amp anyway) use a Weber Bias rite that measures plate voltage. Plug it in, plug tubes in, flip switches, write down results.

Anybody see my Geritol 'n Scotch?

:lol:

Bill Moore likes this.
  2. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I too debated installing test jacks for voltage, but decided just to have current jacks on the chassis. I do have a couple of wires with eyelet connectors. Slip them over the #3 pins, and reinstall the tubes, voltage is easily read!

dan40 likes this.
  3. wanderin kind

wanderin kind Tele-Meister

this guy really wanted to know all about his Fairchild 670 limiter, various AC and DC voltages abound, B+, heaters, 6386 bias, looks like a pair of UA610 preamps down there also, no wait, stereo LA2a compressors,

670.jpg

4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Well, so much for us going overboard with our measly check points:lol:

I've got a set of Military Tube Socket Adapters as shown in picture. These adapters have pin numbered test points. I could could have simply pulled my 6V6, or 6L6 or EL84, put this adapter in my tube socket and then plugged my tube into the adapter. Then I could of hit the adapter test points with my MM and read my plate voltage.

So maybe I'm a little bit lazy, or to conservative not wanting to put extra wear and tear on my tube sockets doing all the exchanges or mainly, I just have been wanting to try this for several years and finally did it. So Ahhhh, that feels so much better:rolleyes: Platefire
    Tube Socket Adapter Kit.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.