1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Has A Modeler Tempered Your GAS?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sax4blues, Mar 7, 2021.

1. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Maybe if I got a Kemper or the like I may be satisfied, short of that, the modelers just make me want to experience the real amps. Modelers can sound pretty good in certain contexts, but live they seem to lack the IMPACT that standing in front of a real tube amp turned up makes... that I love.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve used a lot of modeling stuff but I haven’t used Kemper, Helix or Fractal. The ones I tried sounded fine. Guitar Rig 2-5, Amplitube, Universal Audio, Logic Pro, but, there’s something about a tube amp. I run them through a Two Notes Captor X, a Fryette Power Station, a Rivera Silent Sister and sometimes I just crank them and mic them directly. I prefer tube amps to every amp sim I’ve used so far. Also, the value of the amps I own will only increase over time.

3. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

That is a good way to put it.

My experience is limited, maybe some day I'll find one that is satisfying, but so far I just want to tinker with the sound continuously but never get it "right". Meanwhile I know I can plug into one of a few tube amps I have available and be happy with just a cable and the guitar like I always am, so I lose interest.

4. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Amplification duplication syndrome.

swervinbob likes this.
  5. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I feel about the same way. The modelers I have (an X2 and a Champion 40) have similar tones but not actually the same tones. You wouldn't think tubes would have that much influence but I guess they do.
    The X2 has a Tweed Deluxe sound I really like and it makes me wanna go get one. But I couldn't use it in my situation. It's probably loud as hell.

6. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

It has for me but I do very limited playing, no longer gigging. Now I need to get rid of what I have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.