1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harvard and Deluxe Builds - My first TDPRI Journal

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by gabasa, Nov 27, 2020.

1. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Here are some pics of the Harvard's guts. I didn't photo the 5E3 because they're pretty much exactly the same looking, aside from the circuit differences.

Harvard Chassis 1.jpg

Harvard Chassis 2.jpg

Harvard Chassis 3.jpg

Harvard Chassis 4.jpg

Harvard Chassis 5.jpg

Harvard Chassis 6.jpg

Harvard Chassis 7.jpg

glenlivet, Blue Bill, D'tar and 6 others like this.
  2. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

What's interesting is that while the Harvard is one of the least played, least discussed and least enjoyed tweed Fender amps around, because not an awful lot of them were manufactured by Fender, it's for me one of the best guitar amplifier circuits of all time.

I forgot how much I enjoyed my Clark Webster from years ago and I'm so glad to have this sound available to me again.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    James Knox likes this.
  3. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Telecaster with Vineham pickups. Quick and dirty test recording. Levels are kind of low, you might want to turn up the volume a bit.

A bit bright... the mic was smack in the center of the speaker cone. In reality, the amp is a lot warmer than the recording suggests.

4. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Do you get this kind Harvard sound without pedals? I really like this guitarist plectrum technicue :)

5. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

At high volumes, it has a great crunch to it that's really different than my 5E3, in an amazing way, while still retaining gobs of chime and richness. I love it!

One day, when the house is empty, I can try to record it at those volumes and post a SoundCloud clip here.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    2L man likes this.
  6. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

The finished amp. It looks and sounds great, more sound samples to come soon!

Harvard.jpg

glenlivet and 2L man like this.
  7. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Beautiful and skilled work inside out!!!

gabasa likes this.
  8. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Thanks so much for the kind words, these amps sound fantastic. I have a lot of experience with Jupiter's speakers, but I'm so impressed with Victoria's transformers and the VH Audio TONE capacitors. As a system, together with the PRP resistors and the tubes, these are very, very musical amps. Nuts, ring and shimmer in copious amounts, rich, open and airy, and virtually no hiss/hum noise. The clean sounds are addictive, I've been learning Wes Montgomery's Day's of Wine and Roses and the Harvard is as amazing for jazz as it is for gritty, harder rock. My son nabbed the 5E3 from me as soon as it was built so I don't have as much time logged on it.

It seems like Harvards are turning into hot builds lately, which is cool considering that nobody makes kits. FYI, if anyone is interested, snap up this Harvard chassis. It's a blemished Victoria, like the one I got, but still looks awesome once assembled. There's a guy that also sells Harvard eyelet boards online. Those two could be the backbone of a cool build and V1 is already ready to take a 7-pin tube socket. Just thought that maybe someone here might appreciate the links.

My third and final amp that I originally set out to build, which will end up as a 1x12 Harvard with a 12" Jupiter alnico, hasn't started yet because my eyelet board has been stuck with the post office since December 9th. It finally scanned in town today so this project will continue soon.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Just what I needed, another unfinished project. Ordered chassis and board. Damnit.

gabasa likes this.
  10. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Love it, looking forward to seeing your build! Congrats, it's a great amp.

11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That is some great work, really impressive. The wiring is gorgeous, amps to be very proud of. Thanks for letting us peek. Nice playing too, sounds nice.

gabasa likes this.
  12. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

Beautiful work. Congratulations!

I think the Harvard gets overlooked because of the Vibrolux - which is basically the same amp but with vibrato (well, actually tremolo).

gabasa likes this.
  13. David Barnett

A few questions - the Victoria chassis is 14 1/2" W (same as a 5E3), where a Princeton chassis is 13 3/4". Is your cabinet a standard Princeton-sized cabinet?

Looking at pictures of 5F2 amps, 5F10 amps, and your project, it appears that the extra 3/8" per side will just barely fit?

14. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Close. It's 5E3 cabinet that's a bit narrower, so 16"x 18"x 8.5"-9.5" (plus the added height of the rubber feet). The wooden strips on the sides of the cabinet almost touch the chassis, but there is a little bit of clearance.
    Are you thinking of a 1x10 or a 1x12? What speaker?

15. David Barnett

I haven't chosen a speaker, but it'll be a 10".

I'm hoping to use a regular Princeton box - 16 3/4 x 18 x 8 3/4. https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x...le-Guitar-Amplifier-1x8-Combo-Speaker-Cabinet

16. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Can the Mojo cab be customized for 1x10 and a wider chassis cutout?
    I might start my 1x12 Harvard this weekend, I finally have everything I need in hand.

17. David Barnett

The speaker yes. I don't know about the control cutout.

18. David Barnett

Do your cabs use 5E3 control cutout dimensions?

19. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Yes, they were built to custom specs and I believe the cutouts all fit a standard 5E3 chassis. The builder asked me to measure the overall length and the chassis bolt spacing to be sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.