1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harvard and Deluxe Builds - My first TDPRI Journal

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by gabasa, Nov 27, 2020.

1. DD2016

DD2016 TDPRI Member

Gosh, what a nice build!

I've been wanting to try the Miflex copper foils. In the past Mundorf Supremes were tried and then pulled for Jensen copper foils and there is a notable difference in the density or solidness of sound and a bit more clarity without losing warmth.

I have been looking over the Jupiter copper foils to do a coupling cap swap for the last few months and those are quite expensive, but the Miflex coppers are much more reasonable.

For an amp that will get switched on every other day for twenty years, I look at the difference in experimenting with boutique caps as a couple missed, if not forgettable lattes.

Would be very cool to hear one of these builds, especially the Harvard after hearing the nice 12" alnico speaker comparison you did with the champ build in that oversized cabinet. I picked up the Jupiter 10LA after hearing that alnico three way, which has been excellent!

gabasa likes this.
  2. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Harvard build: transformers with an added choke. This L-bracket fits perfectly.
    The bolts need tightening, so I'll straighten out the choke at that point....it's a hair crooked.

You can see I had to drill new holes for the OT to make room for the choke. I had to move it over around 3/4".

Harvard Transformers.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  3. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Hey @DD2016, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, in the Starbucks generation of millennials, the extra cap cost is a few days worth of lattes, lol. These caps are currently 25% off at PartsConnexion so I thought why not try them out because they're fantastic in my Champ.

I'll definitely post some sound clips over the Christmas break. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  4. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

The Harvard and 1x10 Deluxe are for a practice/recording/media room my kids are putting together. I sold off a bunch of gear lately on Kijiji so I thought I'd build myself a Harvard also. The cabs are done ahead of schedule, but they look quite nice. Can't wait to get these up and running.

No more amp building for a long time after this.....

Harvard Cabs.jpg

5. Entropy

Entropy TDPRI Member

Gosh, those cabs look nice

6. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Thanks, I totally fell in love with this amp, so I'm copying the look, other than the handle:
    https://www.fivestarguitars.com/products/57-deluxe-blonde-cel-crm-120v

These were built by Veteran Guitar Cabinets in southern Ontario.
    A friend is putting one together also (we often do projects in tandem), but his cab will have a different look to it. I'll post a pic when it's ready, I think it'll look great too.

7. Junior Little

Junior Little Tele-Meister

Yea, suuurrrre...:lol:

Blue Bill and gabasa like this.
  8. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

After this, we'll have SEVEN builds in the house. Does the madness end at some point? ;)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Junior Little and James Knox like this.
  9. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Here's the cab for a friend of mine's Harvard build, charcoal tweed tolex. I like it ... this cabinet builder does nice, clean work.

110 Harvard Charocoal tweed 1.jpg

10. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

uhh, sorry to say, NO

James Knox, Junior Little and gabasa like this.
  11. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Hey, I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer a question on heater wires. I have some Gavitt 18 gauge cloth wire I was thinking of using, but it's stranded. In theory, solid wire should be used because it's stiffer and apparently stiffer heater wire can make for a quieter amp. I've never used stranded for heater wires. Just wondering if you have, and if you've had success with it.

Thanks.

12. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

I wired the 5E3 board this evening. I still have some cleaning up to do, but I wanted to get it done because I'm picking up the cabs tomorrow.
    I left space for the choke to be wired in.
    This board doesn't have eyelets for the 68k input resistors, so they'll go right onto the jacks.

5E3 Board.jpg

13. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I hope you don't have any troubleshooting or sketchy solder joints anywhere under those caps.

gabasa likes this.
  14. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Yeah, I was thinking about that tonight. Once I've gone through and triple checked the wiring, I'll go through the joints one-by-one slowly.

It's a bit tougher to fit everything in than I thought, but it should work out ... I'm thinking of laying the heater wires against the inner corner of the chassis to keep them further away from the caps and reduce clutter.

15. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I had to look up those caps again. Their operating range is up to 158 degrees F - in comparison Orange Drops are 185 degrees and Mallory are 185-250 degrees depending on voltage. Depending on your PT - I'm not familiar with the numbers on it - I'm not saying they are just going to die in the first year or anything, but they may be prone to drift quicker than most because the inside of that chassis easily gets to the 125-150 degree range. I have an infrared thermometer I'll use occasionally, and depending on how hard the PT is working, it can surprise you how hot it gets inside.

From a post earlier this year about a Mojotone 5e3 kit. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/5e3-pt-current-rating-b.1031690/#post-9913447

Everything mounted in the cabinet, it's been turned on and playing music at a comfortable level for about an hour. Infrared thermometer has 145 degrees as the hottest point I scanned on the part outside the chassis. Took the panel off and the PT was 155 and the back wall of the chassis was 160! Filter caps were all in the 130 degree range.
    And that was just using it clean as a shop radio, not overdriving it and stressing anything. I'm not trying to pick on the caps, but for the cost, size, and temperature rating, unless you just hear something like you've never heard before when it's done, it might be worth checking into some that are more common and easier to work with in the future.

gabasa likes this.
  16. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

I'm no expert, but stranded vs solid I think is more about keeping the wire where you want it to stay. Solid keeps a bend better but is more brittle. Stranded is harder to mold in place but more flexible. I like solid core myself, but I have had a few break during installation if I was a little too aggressive during stripping or if I was too abrupt bending it.

gabasa likes this.
  17. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Holic

For heater wire i kind of prefer solid core mostly just because getting 2 pieces of stranded wire into a 9-pin socket tab can be a pita. i recently did a build using stranded for the first time and it turned out great, just 20 gauge though, if i was using something thicker i think it could have been trouble with the heaters.

gabasa likes this.
  18. NTC

NTC Tele-Meister

Isn't it hard to make s twisted pair of wires with solid core wire?

gabasa and Mark the Moose like this.
  19. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Use a drill on low speed.

gabasa likes this.
  20. gabasa

gabasa Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, I appreciate it all. I guess I'll try the stranded Gavitt wire, it'll keep me from having to order anything.

@jsnwhite619 I don't like the size of the caps at all, but I already bought them underestimating just how huge they are. You live, you learn, I guess; I was way too trigger-happy ordering parts on the internet a couple of weeks ago.

I don't have an infared thermometer, but I have access to one at work. A few years ago I did a similar test on my 5E3 because I wanted to be able to directly measure chassis and coupling cap temperature. I was getting numbers in the high 120s and low 130s directly on the cap bodies, placing these in a climate around 25 degrees below a conservatively rated max temp. I plan on pushing the chassis forward a little to let the heat rise and dissipate continuously through the gap, so it doesn't get trapped inside and buildup the way it normally does in a tweed amp. I'm crossing my fingers it'll all be good. Wish me luck and I'll post followups. :)

jsnwhite619 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.