Harry's Razors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ricky D., Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newt522

Newt522 TDPRI Member

So true. I'm 65. When I was reaching the age to begin shaving(early '60's), like most boys my age, I was listening to the 50,000 watt AM rock stations like WKBW, WABC, and WLS. Gillette poured the bucks into those stations. At that time the "Super Blue Blade" was the newest thing(still a standard double-edged blade). So that's what I started on.

My father used the cheap Gillette double edged blades, the kind that came in the red packs(All the blades at that time were individually wrapped in paper, kinda like guitar strings when you think about it). The wrapped blades were in tiny pasteboard boxes. My father's razor was the kind with a screw-off top; he was still using the same one when he died in 1986.

After that came the injector single-edged blades (PAL and Schick, I think) The first real revolution was the Wilkinson Sword, a stainless steel double-edge. They had TV commercials where people bragged "I got 17 shaves!"

I just trusted Gillette, moving from Trac II to Atra to Sensor to SensorExcel. I tried Fusion, which only lasted about five days. When I went to buy more, I realized they wanted $5.00 or so for each cartridge and called a halt.

I tried different brands, and never really found anything I liked that was reasonably priced. The closest was a Bic.

So my wife gave me Harry's for Christmas. I'm getting 2-3 weeks from a cartridge, so the price is reasonable. And no, they don't shave around the nose very easily.

I'm not going back to double-edged blades. I have other things on mind when I'm shaving, and remember what it's like to slice up your face.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

No trying Harry's yet, but other experiments still have me getting Gillette blades at COSTCO prices. That's got me thinking other warehouse clubs and some sources are same or less.

3. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

What I like about my Merkur DE is that since using it I no longer get five o'clock shadow.

I doubt I will ever go back to the plastic thingies, I enjoy the ritual of getting a good lather with my badger brush and then letting the weight of the razor give a nice close shave.

4. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

I take disposables in carryon all the time and have never had an issue. Harrys doesn't give me as close a shave as Fusion.

I don't get those who say Fusions etc cut them, I rarely get a cut and they're much easier to use than a DE.

I agree with the thought that I don't weave my cloth or forge my own wheels so I don't feel the need to engage my artisanal mindfulness on shaving every day. ;-o. So Fusion works fine for me (I have plenty of DE experience for comparison) and a large pack from Costco lasts me 2 yrs or more.

5. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

When you consider the amount of people here who cling to the 60yo tech of tubes, and cutomise and tinker with them endlessly, it's a a little suprising that more don't embrace the vintage shave approach.

As an analogy, you're buying the only decidely average SS on the market and leaving it stock, and for many, putting up with its craptabulousness and increasing cost of ownership, when an extra button is added to each new model.

6. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Much like my post above.

I'm not bothered about converting anyone, I'm happy turning a chore into something I take enjoyment in, however small. It doesn't take any longer either, that's for the hobbyists and their rituals. I like saving money which I spend on guitar gear.

The guys that used to use DE, I only point out, it's not 1970 anymore, and the blades are infinitely better, and choices abound. Many had not so good memories of those blades (cos the razors are still excellent).
    So if they don't find a suitable alternative with system razors, there is always another option to revisit.

7. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I love my Astra blades, Mergress razor, boar brush and Queen Charlotte soaps! Wouldn't trade them for any thing 'modern'.

8. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Yes the blades these days are far superior to the rusty old blue Gillettes I used in the 60s.

I usually get 6 to 8 weeks of daily shaving from a Feather blade. I'm using a Gillette 7 o'clock blade at present which is still good after two weeks.

9. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am a firm believer in the " 3 blades, 3 times the irritation " slogan.
    That's why I prefer electric, so does my dog
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1425195234.250599.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1425195255.080013.jpg

10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Well said. Very similar to my history.

You hobby-shavers with the DEs and straight razors, what a great hobby that can be! You get to play with your toys every day. Lots of gear choices to try out and discuss, great fun.

But please, don't be a jackass about it. Just speak for yourself. Don't make assumptions about what others know or want. I'm not ignorant of shaving fundamentals. I know how good a DE shave can be, I've done thousands of them. I'm not going back to DE, the occasional cuts and razor burn are unacceptable even if they are preventable.

11. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

It's not a hobby for all, though there are those. I'm not one of them.

I can't help you regards cuts n stuff, because I know from the couple years I spent hanging round shave forums, it just doesn't happen. Too bad you didn't find a blade to suit.

12. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

You're the jackass calling it a hobby. I have one razor, one brush, one soap, one brand of blade, and do it out of convenience, to save money, and to get a superior shave over a cartridge. Again, just because you've done 1000's of shaves with a DE doesn't mean you know how to do it properly, regardless of if you even started back before I was born. If you were getting cuts and razor burn with a DE, you simply don't know how to use it. It's the same as the guy who says he's been playing guitar for decades, yet can't even play a scale, chord, etc.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I would bet that urine and blades aren't good to mix...

this has turned into a pissing contest.. a couple of you guys need to step back a bit... this is just the internet... just guys talking..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.