Harry's Razors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ricky D., Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

How does shaving cream ruin a blade? I'm extremely skeptical.

2. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I just am stuck on the feel of my old Sensor, but the price of blades makes me grit my teeth. Found 10 packs ("Sensor Excel") for $16 at Target last time so bought two, and those will last me at least another year and a half. I see they've now bumped their price to match everyone else, i.e., $23, which seems crazy. (There's a reason "the razor blade model" is a well known name of a specific kind of marketing & sales tactic/ploy.)

I also tend to stretch the blades out to a month or so. In the big picture, switching to something cheaper isn't going to save a bunch.

Shaving right after a shower, when your beard is soft is easier on the blades, and takes a lot less lather/whaterver. Clean and dry the blade to make it last.

If they raise the price another $5, or make them impossible to get, I'll say goodbye to Gillette, though.

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts. I ordered today, ETA 1-2 weeks. Feedback when the time comes.

4. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I think if you revisited the DE and took your time you'd be surprised how easy it is to use. Sure it requires a little more concentration that the multi-blade 'modern' razors out there, but the DE gives you a MUCH closer shave, for pennies. You can get a pack of 100 high quality DE blades for under $15 that can last you an entire year!

I switched to a DE over 3 years ago and never looked back.

[​IMG]

5. Mullet Man

Mullet Man Tele-Meister

Funny timing...

I recently put myself through this due to the cost of name brand (Gillette) blades. Have been using the older 2 blade Sensor XL.

Tried the $20 Sample pack from Dorco USA (handle and 18 cartridges to try!!) and have used the same 6 blade cartridge for 2 weeks now. the Sensor would last a week at most.

I'm happy with the selection, these should last me 6 months.

6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Double edge razors are amazing. Once you're used to them, you wonder why you kept supporting the 'razor blade model'.

7. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Agree 100%. I think most people are lazy. Sure, I nicked myself a few times when starting out with the DE< but these days I can get an amazing 3 pass shave with a DE in 10 minutes. Today nobody wants to put the time into learning anything, instead they want instant gratification and are willing to spend dumb amounts of money to be lazy. I haven't bought anything shaving related in a couple years now. Bought a few packs of Astra blades and have been using those since. One brush, one razor and some nice shaving cream and I'm all set. Seriously have saved a small fortune on blades over the years.

8. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

I use a safely razor its one blade super sharp,blades are penny's,

9. Ricky D.

Different strokes for different folks, my friend.

I started out with a DE at age ten. After 15 years of DE, I tried a cartridge razor and never looked back. That was 40 years ago. The shave is as good and if your mind wanders a little you don't carve up your face. What's not to like about that?

You recent adopters of DE, have fun with it. You shave every day for 50 years, a little variety can make it fun again.

10. sumed

sumed Tele-Meister

Been using Harry's for over a year. I don't subscribe, I only order when I need more blades. I'm extremely happy with my choice. I have both the metal handle for home use and one of the new Jimmy Chin inspired models for my Dopp Kit.

11. Ricky D.

OK, the razor came today. I'll use it a few days and let you know what I think.

12. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

I tried them, adequate not exceptional. Razor has insufficient pivot so didn't shave well on neck and some
    Cot her areas. Good, not great.

13. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I started shaving with a Double Edge a long time ago and I was a walking advert for one of Bill Cosby's skits ("all I wanted was a clean shave, not a self-sacrifice.") The multi-blades and disposables hadn't made an appearance yet. When they came out I switched to them and they were better, but I still had "accidents". I tried an electric but I constantly had a rash. I finally settled on a beard. It's been this way since the early '70s. I'n not going to change now.

14. Ricky D.

Alright. I'm a few shaves into the Harry's product.

The blades shave closer than the Mach3, but the Mach3 is easier to get into the corners on the upper lip.

For me, Harry's works well enough, and it will cost less for the blades. At my local store, the Mach3 blades are $25.00 for eight. Harry's, $25.00 gets you 16 blades.

I still don't know how long these will blades will last. I usually get 3-4 weeks from a Mach3 cartridge, so it will be a while before I can assess that.

I would say the Harry's stuff is decent quality, and it's going to come down to personal preference. I'm staying with the Harry's product until I get a reason to switch.

15. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I really wanted to like the idea of Harry's, but unfortunately I found myself getting cut with their blades, so I went back to using my Gillette Sensor.
    Too bad, because Sensor blades are definitely more expensive and harder to come by!

16. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I got tired of shelling out big bucks for the Fusion and went back to the simple Double edge single blade old classic mechanical razor. Blades can be bought for around a nickle each and I get about 20 shaves per blade. Face prep reduces cuts (lotsa hot water and rub cream liberally on face and allow to set a minute or two helps)
    A good after shave cream soothes the face.

17. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

Any of you try that "Shave Secret" oil I just started hearing about? Haven't shaved since the start of winter, but when spring comes around (give or take a little climate change) I'll be back at it again. Reviews on Amazon look decent.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  18. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I've always just used an electric shaver. Some of the cheap ones aren't very good, but a decent one gives a pretty close shave. The built in trimmer comes in pretty useful too. :)

19. MrAstro

MrAstro Tele-Afflicted

I have a few DE razors. They might have been cheaper if I stopped trying out different ones :)

[​IMG]

20. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I like Harry's, been using them about a year. I like the handle, they shave close, so much cheaper.

Double edge--I'm 100% sure that my wife would worry about the old blades. "How do you get rid of them?" The children will get into them, etc etc." wonderful woman, my wife, but full of odd an incomprehensible anxieties

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.