1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harpegeddon amplifier

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by marshman, Mar 1, 2021.

1. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

rjtwangs and DeepDangler like this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

That's insane. Who needs a 80 watt harp amp with nine speakers?

MickM and uriah1 like this.
  3. marshman

I imagine John Popper could work it.

But yeah, that does just scream 'wicked excess', though still way more useful in real life than a Bugatti whateveritscalled.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Lordy - I'm from the school of "more is More", but this seems like a bit much.
    :eek:

5. maxvintage

Well sure but a singer would need an 80 watt amp if there was no PA...oh wait

Harp into mic into PA--I get that
    Harp into mic into small amp for overdrive sound--I get that
    Harp into 80 watts when there's a singer and a PA right there? I don't get that. Any situation that requires overdriven harp at 80 watts is a situation I don't want to be in. Dude yelling "what key?" into the mic in the middle of a song at 80 watts...

"I can't express it enough, experiencing this amp is life changing."

Umm, I can believe it. So is back surgery and so is tinitus

DeepDangler likes this.
  6. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

They are only 8"ers. About the same as two good 12"s. Reminds me of when we were young and, well you know. Set up in our rehearsal space, it was a large one. Bass guitar and drums, mic them up. Set of monitors and set up the PA facing in with about 800W biamped with horn loaded 18" tubs and horn loaded 12"s (2 per cab) and Electrovoice horn mid-highs. Cousin cranks up his Twin, stands in the middle of it all and hits a power chord. Then a sh t eating grin grows on his face. Never saw him so happy. It was a fun weekend.

7. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

Reminds me of the Gibson Maestro GA-45T amps with the 4 8" speakers. I guess you would need more speakers for more power.
    Thanks John

8. maxvintage

9x8=72
    2x12=24

Almost three times the surface area. But a lot more weight

9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Does Kim Wilson have one?

10. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I know a guy who bought one of Piazza's Harp Kings years ago---he hasn't used it yet. Harp amps sound best with the power fuse removed. Ugh.

PastorJay likes this.
  11. printer2

An 8" has about 50 sq inch, a 12" 120 sq inch. So 9 x 50 = 450, the 12's would be 240. So it should be obvious, the 8" has more surface area. But the 8" drivers do not have the excursion of a 12". So they are roughly equivalent. Say an 8" weighs 2 lbs and the 12" is 8 lbs. The 8's are a little heavier.

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I thought of John Kinder (Piazza's amp guy) when I saw this post. He's modded two amps for me over the years. And they sound great. I still use the smaller one sometimes. But I've also picked up a 10 watt amp Harp Train amp by Lone Wolf Blues Company since then.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  13. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Kind of a wall of sound approach for a harp player, no microphone required. I am impressed. Has to be the most impressive, quality, harp amp ever built.

14. maxvintage

Well except for the microphone you have to use to get the sound of your harp into the amp

15. marshman

Had some time on my hands...

The speaker selection is interesting. The stock speakers would weigh @ 23-24lbs, and would cost a bit less than $900 retail.

A pair of C12Ks would weigh 19lbs and cost about $210 from the same source.

I can't help but feel that loading this amp with P12s would be asking for trouble, but a pair of those, without bells, would weigh about 14lbs and cost @$450.

Finally, a set of the new Jensen Neos as created for the Tonemasters, and rated for 100 watts would weigh in around 9lbs total and cost a bit over $500 for the pair.

The 5 pounds difference for the C12s would be close to negligible, but the ~15lbs to the Neos might be worth considering. Obviously, Harp players prefer small speakers for some reason, I've just never asked why.

I don't really know how to crunch this data, but the C12Ks are rated for 99dB, the other speakers rated at 97dB, and the P8Rs are rated for 93dB. When comparing matched sets of speakers, this makes a bit of sense, but how to correlate the nine 8" speakers is beyond me.

16. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Modern harp players don't care for 12" speakers. They seem to prefer 10", sometimes 15". The older Chicago players would play through just about anything, including the PA, and get their sound. No Bassman fetish there.

17. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

You are exactly right. I plugged the numbers into a speaker SPL calculator, and the 9x8 80W is roughly equal - within 1/2 dB - to 2x 1258 speakers... about the same as two good 12's. ;-)

18. printer2

And I was giving myself -3 dB. I am sure the 9 speakers would sound pretty cool even without pegging the amp.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  19. marshman

Well, it is some sort of special edition, so a special speaker arrangement is the theme of the day...and a quick glance @ Victorias’ website specs, the 1258s are probably the standard issue.

I have to say, I’m very curious about the inclusion of 1 C8 amongst all the P8s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.