Harness for Blacktop tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by alderre, Jan 27, 2020.

1. alderre

alderre TDPRI Member

so after owning this guitar for 4 years, I’ve decided to get some proper electronics. The tone pot is basically useless and there’s a loose wire in there too, so I assume a harness is the easiest way to go.

Blacktops (see avatar) have the reverse config (excuse my ignorance But starting closest to the neck I have volume, then tone and last , the 3 way switch.

Any suggestions? I am keeping the stock pickups. Is it a pretty straight forward process.

Any ideas one where to start with this HH, reverse plate 3 way switch configuration in mind

Thank you all

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

There is only a couple of wires and a capacitor... it ain't like rewiring a truck.

alderre and Vibrolux59 like this.
  3. alderre

alderre TDPRI Member

[​IMG] Does This look decent?

Claims by the seller

Includes:

-Master volume and master tone vintage style cts 250k solid shaft pots (cts makes the highest quality poteniometers with consistant and reliable readings).
    -.002uf cap/100k resistor treble bleed mod.
    -CRL USA made 3 way Switch (CRL makes the highest quality switches that are reliable and durable).
    -.022mfd Sprague orange drop capacitor (produces a smooth and even treble roll off when cutting back on the tone controls)
    -Switchcraft 1/4in jack
    -Vintage style pull back cloth wire (7 strand 22 gauge wire for the clearest signal path)
    -Stainless steel grounding control plate
    -Chrome barrel knobs
    -Wiring diagram included

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/324049779211

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  4. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Yes, that looks okay. Not bad for $55. That being said, you still need to solder your pickup wires in, so you have to break out the iron anyway. You can pick up the components for about $25 give or take.

Mike Simpson likes this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Treble bleed can be good or bad depending if you like it, easy to clip off if you don't like it.

You only need 2 pots ($5 ea), a switch ($12), a capacitor and a little wire. You already have the knobs, the jack and the plate. The cloth wire and orange cap are nice but they have no tonal effect and you can't see them once you screw it to the guitar. I would also replace the jack cup with an electrosocket.

alderre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.