Harmony Opus

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by horsecoolie, Dec 22, 2014.

1. horsecoolie

horsecoolie NEW MEMBER!

Hey All! This is my first time on a forum to discuss anything, and I have a specific reason. :)

I have an acoustic guitar, it says "Opus" on the headstock, and the sticker inside says made by The Harmony Company. The model number says "1379". I brought it to a guitar center near me, I was going to have some work done on it, but the repair technician told me to research the guitar before I alter it at all since it's vintage. My problem, I can't find much about it.

My Dad purchased it in the late '70s or early '80s, the music store he bought it from said it was new. My Dad has never had anything done to it or ever used it. It's been in storage for the last 30+ years, and still has a "new wood smell" (or so I'm told). The technician today said it must have been second hand to my Dad, because the saddle was not original.

My understanding, from what I can find, is Harmony's were only made in the USA until 1975. I was told the last two digits in the serial number are the year, which would make mine a '79, but mine says USA made.

Got any information for me?

Attached Files:

2. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Harmony.demont.net

That URL is for a Harmony database. I didn't see that model number, but you might try searching. Might find something useful.

Good luck. Looks like a nice guitar.

3. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Judging by the tenor of the posts in this Guitar Site thread, you seem to have a treasure. I'd love to hear it.

4. horsecoolie

horsecoolie NEW MEMBER!

I actually had checked out the database already, and emailed them to see if they had any information that they could share. I never heard back....

I also read that thread, but it didn't share much history related.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.