Harmony Guitars Club

fordfanjpn

Tele-Holic
Here's my Harmony H-62. A nice clean example, and a fine jump blues machine. I've had 2 or 3 of these, but managed to just hang on to this one. Silly me. They are quite 'spensive now.

I love those H62's. I just missed out on a gorgeous one one ebay. I'm still kicking myself for not going higher. If you ever want to sell yours, let me know! Right now all my Harmony's say "Silvertone" on them, but I'm still searching. Here are two of mine. The one on the left is a 1427 and the one on the right is a Jupiter. I just bought a 1385 but it hasn't arrived yet.

Bill

Attachments

• Sisters.jpg
    Sisters.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 398

eyerish

Tele-Holic
I love those H62's. I just missed out on a gorgeous one one ebay. I'm still kicking myself for not going higher. If you ever want to sell yours, let me know! Right now all my Harmony's say "Silvertone" on them, but I'm still searching. Here are two of mine. The one on the left is a 1427 and the one on the right is a Jupiter. I just bought a 1385 but it hasn't arrived yet.

Bill

90% of the Harmony's I played and or owned said Silvertone. I posted in this thread earlier my first 2 guitars. Both harmony made Silvertones
from sears. Those 2 you show are beauties. Its a shame they are getting so expensive now. even the eastman copies are too much money. The old Harmony gits are great guitars.

fordfanjpn

Tele-Holic
Here are the 1427 and 1385 together.

Bill

Attachments

• Silvertone twins.jpg
    Silvertone twins.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 385

Bob Logan

Tele-Meister
Hi Everybody, I too have an old silvertone accoustic. Its pretty darn old. I would love to take a pic and show it, But I don't know the process. I saw a pic of Elvis Presley holding one just like mine. He was very young then. BL.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Hi Everybody, I too have an old silvertone accoustic. Its pretty darn old. I would love to take a pic and show it, But I don't know the process. I saw a pic of Elvis Presley holding one just like mine. He was very young then. BL.

Hey, Bob, was that Silvertone acoustic of yours your first guitar, or one early in your guitar playing career that you've had for a long time? Just wondering.

Bob Logan

Tele-Meister
HI Larry, Not one of my first. The neck is pulling off the body, And I was going to fix her up, But got distracted, It was a great playing guitar, until I left it in the trunk of my car in Florida, I'm kinda attached to the old girl so I think its tome to do the neck repair, and look for a replacement guard. Its actually in pretty good shape, Just needs some TLC, BL

basujanha2610

TDPRI Member
Kevin, I know that website. I’ve got it bookmarked. And your right, websites aren’t always right. That said, that particular website is pretty reliable. This thread would not be complete with mention of it, so here is the link for the Harmony Guitars Database (http://harmony.demont.net/).

Also, this thread would obviously not be complete without a link to the website for The Original Harmony Guitar Company, Inc. (http://harmonyguitars.com/).

:p........nice webs. However, i want to include another one!That is :http://www.harmony-guitars.com/

Here you will find awesome harmony guitars....though they are very modern one!

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Uhh...does this company have any connection to the original Harmony guitar company beyond the similarity of the name?

That's not a rhetorical question. I'm really asking if this company is some kind of overseas affiliate or dealer. I do have my doubts, though, and here's why.

The profile page of the web site in question states "For over four years, Harmony has lived up to its reputation as one of the premier electric guitar manufacturers in Asia." At face value, I would take that to mean that this company is just four years old. But maybe they just meant that their factory is four years old.

The location of the company, Harmony Musical Instruments, is Madras, India. I searched for a dealership/manufacturing connection to Madras on the other Harmony sites listed in this thread, but found none.

The logo of the company in question is different. Here are some pics of the Harmony logo from vintage Harmony guitars:

1961 vintage H1215 Archtone
H1215_Archtone_1961_03.jpg

1964 vintage H1215 Archtone
H1215_Archtone_1964_03.jpg

And here is one of a Rocket reissue:
4_53.jpg

Now, compare that to the Harmony Musical Instruments company logo:
head2.jpg

And yes, I know that the original Harmony company logo varied slightly throughout the years, and from model to model. But I don't recall ever seeing the treble clef symbol superimposed over the "o" in "Harmony" before.

This Harmony Musical Instruments company logo, BTW, appears on the website, but not on any of the guitars they produce, at least in the pics of their guitars on the website.

So this may be a perfectly fine company that offers copies of Teles, Strats, etc., but I question whether or not they are affiliated with the Harmony guitars discussed in this thread. Does anyone else have any information on this issue?

LaExpatriot

Tele-Meister
I have a Hollywood Archtop, a Roy Smeck acoustic Signature Model, and a Tenor Uke. Will post pics when get a chance.

Wild Rice Chris

Friend of Leo's
So this may be a perfectly fine company that offers copies of Teles, Strats, etc., but I question whether or not they are affiliated with the Harmony guitars discussed in this thread. Does anyone else have any information on this issue?

Dangerous territory here...this is typical of big-name guitar companies.
Fender is 25 years old.
Gibson is 24 years old.
Kay, Washburn, Harmony, Stromberg, D’Angelico, Danelectro, Epiphone, etc. went out of business and were revived later on by other people.

Find an older out of business guitar company, buy the name, and contract Asian factories to build guitars with your name on it.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Dangerous territory here...this is typical of big-name guitar companies.
Fender is 25 years old.
Gibson is 24 years old.
Kay, Washburn, Harmony, Stromberg, D’Angelico, Danelectro, Epiphone, etc. went out of business and were revived later on by other people.

Find an older out of business guitar company, buy the name, and contract Asian factories to build guitars with your name on it.

Well, I wasn't trying to stir anything up. I didn't consider my asking for a distinction between these aforementioned "Harmony" companies (or a confirmation of one of a company's manufacturers) as traversing dangerous territory, and I don't see any problem with asking an honest question about this. There is no insult, accusation or allegation here, to either the Harmony Musical Instruments of Madras, India or to basujanha2610, who posted the link. Like I said, it's just an honest question.

fordfanjpn

Tele-Holic
This is from the Harmony website.

"Today, Harmony Guitars is owned by President Charlie Subecz. In 2008, Charlie decided the time was right to bring back the old Harmonys by re-launching a series of Vintage Re-issues. Fourteen meticulas recreations from the 1950's and 60's, including the Rocket, Bobkat, Meteor and more along with a signature Ritchie Valens classic."

As I understand it, Charlie bought the Harmony name and then put a lot of effort into recreating the old classic Harmony guitars, which are now made in Korea. I haven't yet played one, but I am jonesing for one of the new H62's. A friend of mine has one on order and I'm really looking forward to checking it out. So far I have read nothing but good things about Charlie and the new guitars.

In the meantime, I just bought an old Harmony H62 which should be delivered in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to that! I'll post some pics here when it arrives.

Bill

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
This is from the Harmony website.

"Today, Harmony Guitars is owned by President Charlie Subecz. In 2008, Charlie decided the time was right to bring back the old Harmonys by re-launching a series of Vintage Re-issues. Fourteen meticulas recreations from the 1950's and 60's, including the Rocket, Bobkat, Meteor and more along with a signature Ritchie Valens classic."

As I understand it, Charlie bought the Harmony name and then put a lot of effort into recreating the old classic Harmony guitars, which are now made in Korea. I haven't yet played one, but I am jonesing for one of the new H62's. A friend of mine has one on order and I'm really looking forward to checking it out. So far I have read nothing but good things about Charlie and the new guitars.

In the meantime, I just bought an old Harmony H62 which should be delivered in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to that! I'll post some pics here when it arrives.

Bill

Sounds good, Bill. Thanks for the info. Look forward to your comments after checking out your friend's H62, as well as about your forthcoming vintage model.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Francois, welcome to TDPRI. Your website is a wonderful resource, probably the best vintage guitar site, in terms of detail, accuracy and ease-of-use, that I have seen on the internet.

Yes, Francois, I've been meaning to thank you as well for your website. It is a tremendous resource.

krp312

TDPRI Member

Hey TDPRI'ers,

Has anyone been able to compare the Harmony reissues to their original counterparts? I'm looking specifically at an H15 if anyone could help me out.

Thanks,
k