Harmony Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Jun 20, 2009.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've been back home from our RV camping trip since yesterday afternoon. And of course I've continued to play my new-to-me, birth year Harmony Broadway. Here are a couple of pics taken with some of my other guitars hanging in the living room.

The first one is a pic of it hanging with the three oldest guitars I have. From L-R, the first in the pic is my Japanese vintage Hohner HG-905, date stamped "12-79," so 40 years plus. Next to it, in the middle, is my Hohner G-940. It evidently was made in a different Japanese factory, and is not date stamped. However, I bought it new in the spring of 1983, so it's at least 37 years old. Then of course on the right is my newly acquired Harmony Broadway, date stamped "F-53," which indicates it was made in the first half of 1953. That makes it some months older than me, 67 years.

upload_2020-5-26_17-49-32.png

In this next pic, the Broadway is pictured with my Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy. These two guitars are an homage to my father's guitars that set me on the path of guitar playing: Dad's Stella by Harmony H929 and his Harmony H1213 Archtone archtop.

upload_2020-5-26_17-49-50.png

envirodat likes this.
  2. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder Tele-Meister

Nice pics. Play em all

LGOberean likes this.
  3. LGOberean

I wasn't going to use this video, since it was just a goofing around/one take kind of deal, and I wasn't the real star of the video anyway. Our dog Bella was being cute and my wife wanted to capture it on video. My playing in the background was just incidental to the proposition. This is the only video of it thus far, but I guess it'll do for now. I'll do better.

We were camping in our trailer at Table Rock State Park in South Carolina. It was a week ago today, the evening of May 20th and starting to rain. Bella was being so darn cute, and I just happened to be in the background playing “Blue Moon” on my 1953 Harmony H954 Broadway archtop guitar. The strings on the guitar are D'Addario mediums, I think the EJ12 set.

4. bottomfeeder

Nice playing and singing! That old Harmony sounds nice. You ever camp on North Carolina's Outer Banks?

LGOberean likes this.
  5. LGOberean

Thank you!

And no, we haven't camped at all in North Carolina, not yet, anyway. My wife and I plan to continue to go camping multiple times per year for as long as we can, hopefully for another decade or so. We didn't camp in North Carolina this time. We camped in SC, and just drove into NC, just because. But my ancestral heritage goes back to NC. My Great-great-great-great grandfather was born in NC. I don't know what town or what county yet. When I crack that code, I'll want to travel back "home to a place I've never been before."

6. bottomfeeder

7. bottomfeeder

Great plan

8. LGOberean

I played a gig Saturday night, an outdoor venue, at a marina in a nearby coastal town. It went well. I didn't use the Broadway at the gig, but I mention this gig here primarily to say that now that the gig is behind me, I'm going to focus on doing some video demos of the Broadway.

I had been thinking that I would play some things on the strings currently on the guitar and then, after changing the strings, play the same things again.

However, I'm now thinking there would be minimal benefit to such a string comparison, primarily because of the wear on the strings currently on the guitar. I don't know how long the strings were on the guitar before I picked it up, but I've played the guitar daily for the past two weeks, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison between sets.

Again, I don't know for sure, but I think they're D'Addario EJ12s, an 80/20 medium gauge set (.013-.056). The strings I want to change to are D'Addario EJ16s, phosphor bronze regular light set (.012-.053). I use EJ16s on my other acoustics, and I have a stash of about 2 dozen sets of those, so it makes sense to try those next.

Anyway, whether I A/B the different sets of strings on this guitar or not, I will be taking video footage of me playing different style on this guitar: jazz standards, bluesy stuff, Americana/Folk, fingerstyle and slide. So, more to come...

9. bottomfeeder

Cool

10. LGOberean

Okay, here is the first of my YouTube demo vids of my Harmony Broadway. I recorded this in my living room using my iPhone, so nothing fancy here, just off-the-cuff playing. I do some fingerstyle, strumming and riffing here. In future demos, I'll play slide and mic up the guitar a couple of different ways. Stay tuned...

envirodat and radiocaster like this.
  11. bottomfeeder

That's a nice sounding old Harmony....enjoyed your playing too.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

I'm going to do a video soon of my Harmony Broadway amplified. I thought about different ways of going about it, and pretty much settled on either putting a mic in front of the guitar or else using a digital mic/preamp system.

I've already experimented with the mic on the guitar. I did try making a video of that, but didn't like the results...of the video, not the mic'ed sound itself. The first two takes I talked too much. On the third take, I mostly shut up and just played, but I forgot to turn on the amp! :oops::rolleyes: I may try again later to get a usable video of the guitar with a mic on it.

The digital system I have is IK Multimedia's digital microphone system for acoustic guitar, the iRig Acoustic Stage system. The MEMS (micro-electromechanical system) microphone is shaped like a #346 guitar pick, and just clips onto the soundhole or f-hole of your acoustic guitar. The system also includes an outboard preamp and DSP processing unit.

Here is what the iRig Acoustic Stage system looks like when clipped onto the guitar and plugged into the preamp device...

upload_2020-6-18_21-13-20.png

Oh, and just to illustrate the system clipped onto the round soundhole of a flattop, here it is on my Hohner HG-905. (Sorry, I don't have a Harmony flattop.)

upload_2020-6-18_21-15-36.png

Now back to my Harmony Broadway, that archtop has gotta lotta volume and projection to it, so in some settings I won't need to amplify the sound. But I'm experimenting with this iRig that I bought about a year ago, long before I bought the Broadway. Back when I first got the iRig, I tried it out a few times at home, on different guitars. But I haven't gigged with the system yet, or even made a video of it. So, I'm going to at least make a video of it, on my Broadway, and will post that here when I do.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  13. bottomfeeder

Cool deal

14. LGOberean

Okay, here it is, as promised...

15. bottomfeeder

That guitar has great natural sound. The amplified sound doesn't seem to add much.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

I think you're right. I had just a touch of reverb on the amp, and even less of chorus. I probably should have run the amp with it set completely dry, to compare apples to apples sound-wise. You can kinda hear the reverb, but the bright punchiness of the guitar's unamplified sound isn't improved on.

I won't be amplifying this guitar very often, I don't think, but if I do, I think this is the way I'll go. It's easier to set up than putting a mic in front of the guitar, and the appearance is very unobtrusive.

I was lazy and didn't try to clip the preamp unit to anything, so at one point it almost slid off my leg. (I didn't use a guitar strap while sitting and playing, and I was in my PJs, so no belt to clip it to.) But in performance, I'll either clip that unit to my strap or belt, and it will be out of the way and stable. And that MEMS mic looks like a guitar pick clipped onto the f-hole.

So like I said, the iRig Acoustic Stage system as a whole can be quite unobtrusive, and get the job done.

17. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

Thought I'd join the club.

I got an H1414 Patrician a few years back. It was in an attic, and it was pretty much the neck, the cracked up front, back and sides with a whole bunch of kindling inside.

I slowly glued it all back together, and put new strings on it, and it's been a great sounding and playing guitar for several years now. I has the S48 stamp inside, but the headstock is the one with the flowers on it, indicating late 50's early 60's I think.

LOVE it!

18. LGOberean

Welcome to the club! And we would welcome some pics of that Patrician.

19. Powwerzombie

Powwerzombie Tele-Meister

I am working on sending them to myself now.

20. LGOberean

Finally got around to doing a video for my YouTube channel of me playing slide on my Harmony Broadway.

The tuning is open G (DGDGBD), the slide is a glass/pyrex Dunlop 215. The strings are D'Addario EJ16s. The strings are D'Addario EJ16s. I'm a lousy slide player, so this video is about the guitar, not about my playing abilities (or lack thereof).

EDITORIAL NOTE: I *still* haven't gotten the trim part of editing right. After the last strum, I let it ring, just to see how long it would sustain. At 2:54, I put the guitar back on the stand, and the video is essentially over at that point. I tried to edit/trim the end of the video, but my edit didn't take for some reason. So, FYI, you can watch to the end if you want to see me just sitting there, or you can stop at like 3:01.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.