Harmony Guitars Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Jun 20, 2009.

1. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I had one of these I'd similarly rescued from a secondhand furniture store about 25 years ago.
    I paid about $20 for it.

Most of these parts can be found on eBay auctions, but the prices can be ridiculous. If you have no particular interest in this as a project, I'm sure you can find someone who is interested in working with it.

You don't need to try to find a Rickenbacker bridge. The original was simple: two pieces of wood, with two thumbwheels. Check for photos of old Bobcats online, such as at the website operated by a french guy whose name escapes me (Harmony.demont or something similar). I'm thinking that you should be able to make one yourself, if you can't find something in a music store that works.

Vintage tuners can be found as well, but if the spacing is the same as a Squire strat, that might be the way to go. The originals were six on a plate with white plastic buttons, as I recall.

I replaced the pots along the way, so that I replaced the knobs with something that were not exact replacements ( I think I took them from an old radio), but didn't look bad or out of place. Of course, I had to enlarge the holes in the pick guard slightly to fit the new pots. While you have the soldering iron out, you might think about replacing the output jack.

I see in the photo that the truss rod cover is missing, so (again) you can either bid for one on an online auction or simply make your own. The (original) one on mine was white plastic, shaped to a point, held by three small screws and had MADE IN U.S.A. silkscreened on it in tiny letters. You see this on many old Harmonys.

Despite all of these modifications I'd made on mine, I disclosed them all to a buyer and was still able to sell it for a silly amount of money. He was primarily interested in the sound of the pickup, and he plays gigs with it. He's raised tha action a little and uses it for slide.
    So it found a good home.

2. rigid650

rigid650 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info Slim.

Honestly, the body shape does nothing for me, but the shorter scale would be good for my son. My first thought was to do something like this:

airline.png
    but considering that there may be someone else that would enjoy it as is makes me reconsider.

As far as spending money on projects goes (kinda tight at the moment), id rather spend a couple bucks on a GFS tele body for this Indo Squire neck i have.

Maybe ill post it in the classifieds and see if someone wants to trade straight across for a cheap body. Even though it may be worth some $$, really not looking to "sell" it, as its pretty rough and it didnt cost me anything.

3. edouglaspratt

edouglaspratt TDPRI Member

Hey Rigid650. Nice find! Not interested in restoring it? May I buy it as is? Or just the pots?

I think those tone pots are exactly what I need to replace a dead 250K tone pot in my Harmony Stratotone Jupiter...If you wanna talk about this, I can give you my phone number and personal email via PM.

Doug

4. rigid650

rigid650 Tele-Meister

Well, glad I posted that up. Its already off to a new home where it was actually needed. :)

5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

What a cool turn of events! :cool::)

Oh, and to all the fathers in this Harmony guitar club, Happy Father's Day! :)

6. 4 Cat Slim

rigid650, you did the right thing. The guitar in the photo looked like it needed more attention than
    most would care to direct sat it.
    It takes all kinds of self-control for me to turn down projects like this.Just last year, I finally tracked down enough parts to complete a restoration of an old Harmony Stratotone. Then once all the parts were here, it took me another three months to hammer in two new frets.
    Seems like something always gets in the way...

7. rigid650

rigid650 Tele-Meister

You know Slim, sometimes the "right" thing to do, is also the easiest...;)

Sure feels right anyway

8. TheGypsies

TheGypsies TDPRI Member

Can anybody enlighten me on the pickup differences between the silvertone 1454 and the harmony h78?

9. johnbaz

johnbaz TDPRI Member

I have a Sovereign but I think it's the one that wasn't made in the U.S., Think it was made in Korea or somewhere similar :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John..

10. edouglaspratt

Hey all, just got back from vacation and want you all to know another example of how our music and our beloved guitars build brother-sisterhood.

If you care to review this Harmony thread, you'll see I asked for help May 21 findin a pot for my Jupiter. Then June 17 Rigid posts about a beater BobKat that just fell in his lap...

We start talkin. He sends me the BobKat. My tech confirms the Bokat pot is an exact replacement for my totally dead Jupiter pot. Rigid (who lives 2000 miles from me) and I discover that he lives 20 mins from my Godson, who I've been jamming with for about 15 years now and who was vacation garage-band jammin with me at his dad's house all last week.

Today I retrieve my Jupiter from my tech.

All these coincidences. Just the pot itself is a needle in a haystack...plus Rigid, whose name is Brian, is so generous, He just packs up a whole guitar and sends it, no expectations of reward, no worries I could sell off the parts and keep the cash for myself...

Without goin into the details, Brian and I are now connected and he knows he's compensated for his kindness. But there's no price on brotherhood. Like some guitars, ultimately Priceless.

P.S. thanks LGOberean for startin the Harmony Club thread.

LGOberean likes this.
  11. 4 Cat Slim

Great to hear how all of this worked out for everybody.
    There are some truly generous and helpful people here.

12. edouglaspratt

And the post script is:

Brian (Rigid) used the "thank you" gift I sent him to help with his purchase of a Tele with P90s he'd been hunting...

and the beater BobKat pot works fine in my Stratotone Jupiter. A replacement that counts as "all original vintage guitar" with disclosure it is a replacement.

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

GREAT story! And a great reminder that what we do here is not just about personal collections, but also about personal connections. :)

14. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

I played a surf gig with....
    An all-original 1963 Silvertone (made by Harmony, of course) 1454!

At my most recent surf band gig, I played my 1454 for the whole day, and it sounded outstanding. Those DeArmond pickups are still just excellent, and, with the right amp settings, I was able to get a superb surf tone.
    super cruise august.jpg

15. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Fender fan, where did you find such a sweet Silvertone? Have you had it long?

16. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

Hi Joe,
    Found it through ebay not too long ago. Like millions of other players, my first electric guitar in the 60s was a Harmony, and I have wanted to get another one for a long time. The 1454 was their high end model, with pearl inlays, bound neck, real Bigsby, etc. This one has nicks and general signs of age...but so do I!

Joe Sailor likes this.
  17. edouglaspratt

Thanks for the cool photo, FF. Beautiful guitar...three pickups and loads of control knobs. Glad yer havin so much fun with that one!

Those cars, that woodie...Where was the picture taken?

Doug

18. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

That photo was taken a week ago when my surf band, the Royal Aces, played at the outstanding Golden Super Cruise, Golden, CO. The 49 Woody belongs to our drummer, and it's a beauty.

QUOTE="edouglaspratt, post: 7099663, member: 68348"]Thanks for the cool photo, FF. Beautiful guitar...three pickups and loads of control knobs. Glad yer havin so much fun with that one!

Those cars, that woodie...Where was the picture taken?

Doug[/QUOTE]

19. edouglaspratt

Heyy, FF, never would have guessed Colorado. I'll be in Denver 9/3 for a few days. Visit Pueblo, Col. a few days. Then back in Denver for a few till the 10th.

Where are you?

20. fenderfan

fenderfan Tele-Afflicted

We're playing Sept 3, 10 pm, at Gary Lee's Motor Club on S. Broadway if you're out around town that night.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.