Harmonica mics

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
Since the mid-90s, I've used Astatic mics (I've got one that's stock and one that has the Rod Piazza "hot rod" mod), and played into modded Fender amps.

A couple years ago I bought a Lone Wolf Harp Train 10 amp, simply because it's smaller and easier to carry than my modded Fenders. Because, well, I'm older than I used to be. Playing through a different amp got me thinking about mics.

Lone Wolf also makes a harp mic called the Jason Ricci signature. I've heard one guy play through it into a bassman, it sounded pretty good.

Anybody have experience with these mics?

Or any other mic you'd recommend I try?

Thanks.

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
If you haven’t recently, try the new Shure Green Bullet. No, it doesn’t sound like the old one, or a vintage mic. But it sits nicely between a SM57/58 and a vintage style mic. Personally, I love it. Just enough grit without going over the top.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, the bullet mics are an acquired taste and somewhat difficult to hold the harmonica against.

I used a SM58 for many years and switched to the bullet style.

But, it just didn't sound good... kinda tinny.

So, I went back to the 58.

However, I did put a transformer at the end of the XLR, to 1/4 inch plug, allowing it to go into a guitar amp for a little distortion.

I did see Delbert McClinton using a Beta 57 straight into the board and it sounded great!

imo.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Ancient history - Shure PE-545

upload_2021-11-12_12-11-53.png

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I use to use a vintage Shure 54..back in the day since Butterfield did, but, after playing a large stage the
sound guy gave me a EV ND 308. Normally used for horns etc.. Wow..was that great . I will still blow
the crap out of harps on a blues diddy, but, I do a lot of other mellower harp now . The dynamics
are great. I use that all the time. (of course I don't overdrive a small amp)..and go into mains. less equip to take.
imho

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
If you haven’t recently, try the new Shure Green Bullet. No, it doesn’t sound like the old one, or a vintage mic. But it sits nicely between a SM57/58 and a vintage style mic. Personally, I love it. Just enough grit without going over the top.

Shaker ...

Thanks.

What I'm looking for is a Chicago style sound, but maybe less dirty than I get with the Astatic. I use a Shure 58 or whatever vocal mic is on stage for a more country or folky style.

So tell me more about the Green Bullet and Shaker.

As background, I have an older Green Bullet that's a feedback machine. I've had success recording with it, but not onstage live. Have they fixed that with this new mic?

I looked at the Shaker webpage and don't really understand their mics. I got the impression that they'd be great for people who are primarily acoustic players who want to amplify their harps. Is that correct or am I misreading the website? Which Shaker mic do you use and why?

Last edited:

T-Bone

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I use a Shaker Dynamic and a Green Bullet. I like them both. The new Bullet never feeds back, and has just enough dirt to sound right. The Shaker sounds similar. On its own it may be a bit more prone to feedback, but its smaller size makes it very easy to cup and contain in the hands. The Shaker is more convenient when swapping between guitar and harp because I can use the same cable. I have my Mesa Boogie set up with the clean channel for lap steel and the dirt channel for harmonica.

when I use my Princeton I just plug the Shure into one input and the guitar into the other. Works fine with no crosstalk. Reduces the gain on both channels, so it’s perfect for smaller venues.