1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harmonica Forums

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mistermullens, Dec 28, 2015.

1. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Been a while since I've posted. Pretty busy nowadays with twins, two jobs, a band, and solo shows. One of my favorite things I've been doing lately is playing harmonica. I love Blues Harp, but I play "straight" harp (I guess that's a name for it) as well. Pretty much self taught, and while I'm receiving an increasing amount of compliments on my harp playing, I'd like to dive a little deeper. Can anyone recommend a good Harmonica forum? I'd rather spend more time learning than looking for the right forum. Thanks!

2. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Try the "Modern Blues Harmonica Forum".

3. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

been busy with twins ? one fender twin is not enough ? i can t help you with the forums, but if you don t know the legendary shack shakers, JD Wilkes, the front man plays a mean harp.

wait until he blows into the harp. I ve never heard any harp played like that. And he s got a lot of tricks in his bag.

more bluesy feel.

4. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

and you ve got sonny terry as well... he blows my mind.

i tried to play the harp until i noticed it required more sucking than blowing, and you ve got to bend notes which s pretty hard.

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

6. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Hey, Jon, WB; you've been missed.

I strongly agree with RockerDuck: Modern Blues Harmonica Forum is probably the best place to start. Harp-L is a huge repository of information, already in existence when I first got online in 1995, but it's a mailing list rather than a forum. SPAH doesn't seem to have its own forum, but the Modern Blues Harmonica Forum is first on the SPAH list of Online Communities.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the Modern Blues Harmonica Forum, but I'm a major fan of its proprieter, Adam Gussow. I think he's a great teacher, and he has more than 500 free harp instruction videos on YouTube. Try this one on for size:

Here's an Index to Adam Gussow's YouTube Videos.

orangeblossom likes this.
  7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Harmonica?

Two words to remember:

HOWARD LEVY

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just going to mention him. I think he has a website where he gives lessons. Howard is an amazing musician and a good guy. I've been lucky to spend time with him when he'd sit in with the band I used to tour with as their sound-dude.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.