Harmonic Tremolo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Jan 7, 2016.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I'd love to have that sound for my little board I'm building for 5E3 usage. The Strymon Flint seems to be the gold standard, but it's pretty spendy. Which leaves the Catalinbread Pareidolia and the Source Audio Vertigo. The Vertigo is more versatile but they both sound cool. And experience with either?

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Alexander Equilibrium can be added to your list! It is one I just recently acquired. I was looking for bias vary style trem. This pedal nails bias vary and harmonic terms. It really works well at sounding like the tube driven terms with a little use of the mix knob!

TelZilla likes this.
  3. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Added! Thanks, that one sounds great

4. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

I too am very satisfied with the Alexander Equilibrium! Axis29 describes it perfectly.

5. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Will do! I have a Wilson Haze(univibe and vibrato) pedal on my big board. But for this 4 pedal simple old school board, a box that did bias and harmonic Tremolo would rule!

7. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

No idea about price though - sounds good !

8. RobertKeeley

RobertKeeley TDPRI Member

The Harmonic Tremolo setting on the Keeley DynaTrem is the most popular setting on that pedal. It also has our chamber reverb. Makes for a really fun combo when you add fuzz...
    ;-)

rk

9. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

having built the v1 cardinal tremolo, the v2 fixes all the build problems AND improves the functionality of the effect. looking forward to getting one built up ... and it looks like he offers a lot of the harder to get parts on the website, which makes it that much easier

10. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

perhaps check out the Fuchs Creme de la Trem.

11. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I didn't realize there were so many pedals doing a bias mod style trem. Does this mean they will "squash out" like the trem on my amp, so when I hit a chord or note the trem gets out of the way on the attack?

12. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

no because bias tremolo is different than harmonic and as far as bias tremolo pedals go, I haven't seen one set up to squash out yet.

13. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

At first glance, it seems to me that trem isn't that complicated, that the TR-2 pretty much covers all the bases. I've learned that there's a huge variety of trems, in all shapes and sizes, and that they actually do sound (a bit) different.

Trem is my favorite effect (Reverb and delay are also nice). I can't justify another trem pedal yet (I have a TR-2), but one day I'll expand my horizons.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My name is Big Daddy Love Handles and I'm a chorus addict. How do you think it would combine with harmonic tremolo? I just use a TR-2 now and that works, but I'm wondering if the mod-on-mod of using a harmonic trem would sound too wobbly.

15. DajuanPrzybilla

DajuanPrzybilla TDPRI Member

Chase Bliss's Gravitas also does harmonic tremolo. As well as standard tremolo. It can even do both together, in sync, which is pretty cool.

16. bottlenecker

The tremolo on my amp modulates the bias of the tubes, so it's not just volume going up and down, it's headroom. This means if I leave it on, I never get stuck playing a line where some notes end up lost in the valley of the trem wave. This is everything to me when using tremolo, and why I only use amp trem. Without it, i dont want to use trem. IIf a pedal could do it, it'd be nice to know, maybe for a backup when I get stuck with someone else's amp, it'd be worth having. If a pedal trem doesn't "squash", i don't see why it would be called "bias modulating".

17. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The Alexamder Equilibrium does this... By adding a bit of the dry signal in with the mix knob, you can even tune the amount of 'squish'. This was one feature I was afraid I wouldn't get from a pedal.

It's the thing I was trying to describe.... Each note you pluck, is full volume, but as you hold a note, the trem begins to ease in.

18. bottlenecker

Exactly. It's like when the signal's over a certain threshold it pins the trem open, and the trem intensity builds as signal volume drops. I think this was just an unintended byproduct of a tube amp running out of headroom, but it makes trem dynamic and playable instead of just a static repetitive thing.

19. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

The Catalinbread Antichthon does this, but it's not an every day trem, not by a long shot. It's the first time I've experienced that effect (trem coming in as the sustain tails off), and it's very cool.

20. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

The Keeley Dyna-Trem also does the rate thing.......the trem slows as the note decays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.