1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harmonic Design Tele neck "Super Chrome"?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by 791979, Dec 10, 2008.

1. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

Anyone here tried this Super Chrome Tele neck? I'm thinking of using one with my Super 90 (as a replacement of my Vintage+).

If so, whatdayathink of ot?

2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I think you mean the "Chromotone." Yes, I have it and I think it's great. It's punchier, clearer, with a bit more output than the standard Tele neck pup. It's not quite as high output as the Vintage Plus but sounds very good and will of course give you the more traditional look.

Edited to add: I just looked at their site and you're right there is a "Super Chrome." This is a new one I hadn't heard of. Sorry, I haven't tried this one, only the Chromotone. Sounds like the super chrome will match better volume wise with the Super 90, than the Chromotone will anyway.

3. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

No, not the Chromotone. HD now has four Tele necks. The Vintage Plus (which I currently have), the Chromotone, the Mini-Strat, and the Super Chrome.

I find the Vintage Plus neck a bit dark with my Super 90 bridge. But, there ain't much choice for alternatives.

On the website Scott says that this (Super Chrome) can hang with the S90. So, I was rather hoping to get some user feedback on this (new?) model. As it may be a better choice for me.

I will email Scott & see how he thinks it compares the the V+, but in the meantime if anyone has tried one I love to hear your experiences.

4. 791979

791979 Tele-Meister

OK, got an email from HD, and it seems that the Mini-Stratwould be a fair match for my S90 (on the low output tap).

So, any comments on the Mini-Strat with the S90?

5. Sugarfoot Rag

Sugarfoot Rag TDPRI Member

I just upgraded from my HD Vintage Plus set to a Super Chrome Neck and a matching S-90 bridge. This is by far the best set of Tele pickups I've had. What's nice is that with the volume tone up they have the chime and twang of 60's stock Tele and lowering the volume they ring in the P-90 tone spot on! I do a lot of Chet/Travis style pickin and they have that nice full round tone that you don't get with a stock set. The Super Chrome is pure fullness, warmth, and amazing harmonics, dynamics.

Both the Super Chrome and S-90 are high output, but you would never guess they just have the huge bottom end and sweet compression like a P-90's are known for.

6. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Both are great pups, but before you spend on a new pup, I'd try the current set with 500k pots, which Scott recommends. Betcha that would brighten up the V+ neck pup. Or, just install a TBX tone pot, makes a world of difference, i've done that with a couple of sets (V+ neck/Super 90 bridge)

7. soultosoul13

soultosoul13 Tele-Meister

i heart harmonic design!

8. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

They're now mine! Thanks Sugarfoot! ;)

:!:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.