Harmless little critter

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
But you won't see me trying to catch it
https___prod.static9.net.au_fs_e49cbd0c-1d84-4d6f-9175-57c03b9d11a2.jpg

https://www.9news.com.au/national/q...let-roll/2300144b-757c-4685-a902-5bffb1377d08

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
That? She's only a little'un..

There's a video somewhere of one dragging a pigmy possum.

They don't make webs, they run and jump to catch their prey, hence their name They're helpful fellas that catch flies, cockroaches, woodwasps and the like. Closely related to tree spiders.

They can be big as a dinner plate.

Apart from scare factor they're harmless to humans. If you persist in aggravating one they'll give you a nasty bite.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ress-conference-in-queensland-australia-video

Last edited:

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I had one approximately that size appear on the side of the car passenger seat next to me as I was driving to work one day, how i kept my act together enough to pull the car over and deal with it without killing anyone in the process i'll never know.

Yes, they're relatively harmless but dayum...

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
You guys sure got more than your fair share of deadly creepy crawlers. I would have thought that Robert Hughes might have mentioned this in his book "The Fatal Shore".

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had one approximately that size appear on the side of the car passenger seat next to me as I was driving to work one day, how i kept my act together enough to pull the car over and deal with it without killing anyone in the process i'll never know.

Yes, they're relatively harmless but dayum...

Awww, soooo cuuute!

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
"Wont see me trying to catch it"
Looks like you already did!

"One suddenly appears on my passenger seat"
Let me tell you the story of my prom date...

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
You guys sure got more than your fair share of deadly creepy crawlers. I would have thought that Robert Hughes might have mentioned this in his book "The Fatal Shore".

Huntsmans are basically harmless. They can bite, but rarely do and the effects are negligible.

As far as other creepy crawlies, I've seen about 3 or 4 Sydney funnel web spiders in my life, similar amount of snakes of varying venom, all of which have been hurrying away in the opposite direction, plenty of redbacks if you go looking for them in old tyres etc (apparently you have to really annoy them to get a bite) and 1 or 2 huntsmans a year. I'm basically a suburban dweller but have spent long stretches of time in the bush, other people living deeper in the bush will have higher interactions with these critters.

No one will arrive in Oz and immediately have these things start running up your leg, though..