1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harley Benton?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Marc Morfei, Jan 7, 2021.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've had to change the horrible tuners on Fenders costing much more. :D

2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Harley Benton?
    The Harley-Benton guitars are excellent deal IMHO, within these conditions :

- if you are willing to do some setup on it = the setup they may require.

or :

- if you are willing to considering it as a platform mod.

I personally did these two conditions on mine, and there are absolutely fine and flawless guitars once done :cool: :

The originals, bought 2nd hand, barely used, like new, and unplayable (setup, we said ? ;)):

[​IMG]

Once modded and setup'ed :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Depending on the features of the model (tremolo or not, etc...), the need of setup, the faults that have to be corrected, and also depending on your expectations : you will have from no work to great work to do on the instrument in order to have a perfectly playing, flawless instrument.

You guess it : I did a great work on mine... :confused:

But most often, on simple, classic models (think Tele, Les Paul, 335-like), you have nothing to do than a good setup... :cool:

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The same goes for Fender, Gibson or any other guitar.

4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Yes @beagle : just by my personal experience, I agree absolutely ! :)

-tbln.

gimmeatele, nojazzhere and beagle like this.
  5. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

In my experience you get a perfectly good guitar without swapping any parts.

alnico357, kodiakblair and beagle like this.
  6. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

Have a Harley Benton HB-60 semi Bass.... great guitar for the money!

HB60 bass.jpg

savofenno, kodiakblair, Alamo and 4 others like this.
  7. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I bought two HB les paul juniors, one normal and one the Fat model, with what they called a chunkier neck. Unfortunately both necks were on the skinny side for me and I returned them

However the actual guitar quality was pretty good and the pickups are v nice indeed.

I'm currently being tempted by the Thomann 15w valve amp. One of my laney cubs has died and the newer models are twice the price now. The Thomann is almost identical, has a warranty and wouldn't cost much more than getting a tech to look at the old amp.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I had a goldtop with P90s for a while. Perfectly good guitar, and good value BUT it needed serious setup and a new nut that wasn't soft plastic.

For these reasons I wouldn't consider these beginners' guitars, unless you're a beginner with a pal who can set your guitar up for you.

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I've never seen a "beginner's guitar" that really was. The pal who knows what he's doing was always a great advantage, especially back when I was a kid and Teiscos still roamed the Earth. :D

hemingway likes this.
  10. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I've had a TE-52 for about 3 or 4 years, It was one of the first with roswell pickups. changed out nut & tuners (had to) and pickups(by choice, I converted it into a nashvile). Roswell pickups were ok. It weighs a ton and has an almost flat 2x4 of a neck which I really like. If you like thin necks the TE-52 is not for you. I gigged with it right out of the box but tuning stability became iffy real quick so it went under the router. I am thinking about buyng another to turn into an accusonic type guitar

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A friend of mine has that Les Paul Studio Goth copy type of guitar.

I dare say that I like it more than the Gibson LP Studios I played, but I'm not a fan of them, and I didn't play the Goth version. The Harley Benton is not chambered, it's not heavy but it's not light either.

As usual for Asian guitars, including Korean (although this one is Chinese), the electronic parts are cheap. The pickups are good, but the jack needs replacing.

Nickfl likes this.
  12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My HB came with Wilkinson tuners. I think sometimes the nut needs smoothing when the tuners are thought to be at fault.

My guitar also came with D'Addario 10-46 strings.

bgmacaw likes this.
  13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I would have changed them out anyway, it was going to be a total rework if the body was good, I stopped at the tuners, I was very impressed.

By the way, my HB jazz bass came with d'addario strings, a 120€ guitar with €18 strings,, cannot be bad

14. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I have one of those with a different brand name. My guess is it's the same manufacturer. It's actually very good. Archtop right? When I just pick up a guitar off the rack it's the one I always pick up for some reason.
    The fretboard appears to be ebony on mine, but it is too shiny. I think it must be some synthetic material, but not sure.

I'm a big fan of Gibson P90's and had a couple laying around so I put them in. Lo and behold, the originals sounded identical to the Gibson's, and looked very much so also on the back. So I put them back in.
    It's a super light weight guitar and it doesn't sound like a Tele with out the Tele bridge pup and being hollow. So don't expect it to be a Tele.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    Marc Morfei likes this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

My drummer has one of those

[​IMG]

Side to side with my Les Paul... I can get the SAME SOUND from both with just a twist of tone in my TS-808 plugged in a Marshall Origin 50

Actually... the Les Paul is gone

16. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I think all beginners should buy from a reputable music shop. Nothing could turn off a new player more than a guitar that plays poorly.

17. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've owned 2 Harley Benton guitars - a 50's P Bass and a LP copy. I paid less than $100 for each of them and they were both solid guitars. A few cosmetic tweaks and upgrades resulted in the sale of the bass after a gig, and a gift of the LP to my son who records with it.

18. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

I’m sure the HBs are very decent guitars from all the good reviews they get. However I’m buying local more than ever for two reasons:

1. I want to keep my local shops in business
    2. If encounter a major defect, I can just drive over and have it sorted.

19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Harley Bentons come from a very reputable music shop, Thomann in Germany.

20. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

I have five of them, three telecasters a LP DCjr and a SC 550 (which is the highest end of their traditional LP knockoffs). I like them all a lot, the cheaper ones are good and the more expensive ones are great. the worst problem I've had with any were just set up issues like frets needing to be polished or intonation needing to be adjusted, but at least two of them were perfect out of the box.

The guitar fit and finish themselves have been excellent in my experience pretty well equivalent to a classic vibe or an exceptionally good Mexican fender. Pickups are good, tuners onine have been fine though the more expensive models ones come with better quality hardware, which is noticeable. The only weak point is the electronics which has someone else mentioned is pretty standard for guitars in this price point. The pots and switches work fine but they feel distinctly cheap and that bothers some people a lot.

Like I said I'm very happy with all mine and would definitely, and probably will, buy more.

The only disappointment I've had from the Harley Benton brand was a mandolin which I bought hoping it would punch above its weight the way the guitars do. Unfortunately it was no better than any other entry level mandolin I've seen in the very low end of the price range and even had some finish flaws. For what it's worth when I complained to Harley Benton about the fit and finish they ended up refunding the entire purchase price and didn't even ask me to return the mandolin, so customer service was pretty above and beyond.

beagle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.