1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harley Benton TE-90FLT White - First Impressions (w/ pics & sounds)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by BloozyFloozy, Jun 2, 2016.

1. BloozyFloozy

BloozyFloozy TDPRI Member

We are always lurking around on this forum, so since there are no 'official' pictures on the Thomann website yet, my wife and I thought we could help a little by posting the unboxing pictures of a TE-90FLT (Cabronita).
    Some unique features, so judge for yourselves! Our verdict needs some more (playing) time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SailorGuy and 6stringcowboy like this.
  2. dtermined2play

dtermined2play Tele-Afflicted

Sweet. Love the look and cheaper than the squier version used. [emoji450]

3. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Awesome. I know it's too off-spec for some, but I think it's a great looking thing.

Would you mind filling in the following details?

1) Weight
    2) Radius (rough idea)
    3) Pickups

Cheers!

Omiewise65 likes this.
  4. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Well it looks very nice. But what does it sound like? If those pickups do the business, and by that I mean a good Gretschy jangle, then it looks like a bargain, assuming it plays well. But if you have to factor in a couple of TV Jones pickups, then maybe not.

5. SailorGuy

SailorGuy Former Member

Maybe because I'm new to the tele game, but what's the story with the empty space under the pick guard? Just a stash spot? You know, for my car keys, so I don't lose them....

ScribbleSomething and bender66 like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks cool alright! Plenty of space for modding. Somebody put the neck on backwards, though...

GrantR likes this.
  7. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

8. SailorGuy

SailorGuy Former Member

Kinda figured that after I hit enter and went back to look at the pics. I dig it. And I'd still stash something inside of it.

9. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Yes, I would strongly support stashing as well :)

10. BloozyFloozy

Sure, no problem!

1) The weight is a bit heavier than you might expect with the 'weight relief': 4,1kg (on a kitchen scale). That's about 9 pounds.

2) I checked the relief and measured the setup using Stewmac's String Action Gauge and the Understring Radius Gauges:

Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)

Fretboard Radius: 9,5”

Relief (fret 8): 0,012”

Nut (open strings fret 1):
    string 1 0,028”
    string 2 0,025”
    string 3 0,030”
    string 4 0,025"
    string 5 0,025"
    string 6 0,025"

Bridge height (open strings fret 12)
    string 1 0,090”
    string 6 0,092”

3) The Roswell pickups sound really good, we compared them to a pair of Gretsch Filter'trons and they pack some punch. The Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody sounds a bit muddy and wobbly in comparision (my setup is for telecasters mainly, so a tweak on the amp might do the trick to get the Gretsch more spanky). It is that perfect slapback Rockabilly sound on a clean amp, with some dirt you get into the garage/punk side of things. I will do some recordings later this weekend and post them as well.

11. BloozyFloozy

The hole under the pickguard is what Thomann calls 'Chambered Weight Relief'. It harks back to the Smugglers Telecaster, now available as a 1967 Custom Shop version.
    Maybe that's where the mojo is supposed to go? ;)

12. BloozyFloozy

The pickups do what they say on the tin. Compared with a Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody, they pack some more punch. We would rate them as good als Gretsch Blacktop Filter'trons, but not as good as TV Jones pickups. That is of course our personal opinion, my amp setup is mainly for Telecasters.

13. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Thanks a lot for this. Strange, Thomann always seem to list radii as 13.75 in / 350mm, but I don't think this is actually the case.

14. BloozyFloozy

No problem! We always measure somewhere around the 3rd fret and somewhere around the 19th fret. In both cases, this fretboard fits perfectly under the 9,5" radius gauge. Other Harley Benton fretboards (TE-20, TE-30, TE-52) seem to sit somewhere between the 10" and 12" gauge.

15. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

I see, thanks again. Those models are advertised as 13.75", so not sure what Thomann are smoking. Mind you, pickup descriptions tend to be off base as well.

I may get one of these still.

What's the neck profile like? Thanks for taking the time to respond here, it's a much-appreciated public service.

16. BloozyFloozy

The neck is definitely different from the other Harley Benton T-type necks. The nut is 42mm, but feels much wider. When compared next to each other, the TE-90 neck is shallower, maybe giving the impression the fretboard is wider.

17. BloozyFloozy

We made some recordings for all you GAS-ers out there!
    You will hear mr Bloozy on the stock Harley Benton Guitar (even the foil is still on the pickups) in standard tuning and mrs Floozy on drums.
    Some clean sounds, some driven sounds, some sounds with switching between the pickups.

For all you gearheads, this was the signal chain:
    stock Harley Benton TE-90FLT > Tone City King of Blues > Way Huge Aqua Puss > Fender Princeton Reverb >> Shure SM57 > Presonus Audiobox USB > Studio One 2 (no post fxs, raw recording with some fades for your listening pleasure)
    drumkit is mic-ed with 1 Samson C03 in figure 8 setting

For both youtube and soundcloud users:

We had a lot fun with the guitar already, so she is going to stay. There are few things we are going to change, but these changes are based on our personal preference and would be applied to almost every new (or old) guitar we buy:
    - string change to heavier gauge with wound third for that vintage sound;
    - upgrade of electronics;
    - bone nut;
    - setup for our personal preference.
    Like we said before, quality is like the other Harley Benton guitars we own(ed), some cosmetics could be tidier, but there is never a problem we have not encountered with other brands as well.

GrantR and alainvey like this.
  18. Andy2097

Andy2097 NEW MEMBER!

hey guys i just bought one of these, arrived today, but theres paint chip near the neck pocket and the neck alighnment seems bad, poorly fitted. should i return it. just started learning again. 20885119_1528238633905464_1996720610_n.jpg 20916765_1528238680572126_140823261_n.jpg 20915744_1528238573905470_1606115468_n.jpg 20884758_1528239323905395_985441432_n.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.