Harley Benton TE-62CC Shell Pink

viking

Friend of Leo's
Bought one of these ,and it arrived in a matter of a few days.

I had ideas about using just the body for a Tele/Esquire partscaster.

Nope , the Fender neck is a very sloppy fit in this body from side to side , an ugly gap will be the result. The HB neck is also quite a bit thicker at the heel , so the Fender neck would at least require a rather thick shim to line the strings up in so-so fashion over the saddles.

So , Im stuck with the HB neck. Its a Roasted Maple style , maple cap neck. Frets are very rough feeling , but Im sure it will benefit from a fret level anyway , so that will be done with after the level/polish.

2 string trees , both not tightened , and much too 70´s for my taste. Holes allready filled , and a round string tree fitted in the 50s placement , and only on e and b strings.

Nut was not too far from what I prefer , only spent minutes cutting the slots a bit deeper. Appears to be decent material , not too soft , so it stays.

Pickguard , not the usual shape , but if the front pu get moved a bit , I think a Fender spec guard could be fitted.

Switch , is the cheap asian type , will have to go , pots and jack as well. Jack plate , is the typical cheap one. Either a Gibson LP plate , or an Electrosocket ( old screw holes will show )

Pickups are surprisingly good , although rather low output...

Oh yeah , tuners ....ehhhh......no , new vintage tuners will be used.

Weighs 7 pounds even.

I got carried away , the color tricked me into getting one.

Its a typical cheap guitar , neck is maybe slightly better than what could have been , but not much.

I will fix it up , and keep it. Maybe use some weird wiring mods for fun , but when Im done , the neck will have seen hours of work.
The body and MAYBE the pickups will also stay , the rest will be changed out.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Bought one of these ,and it arrived in a matter of a few days. I had ideas about using just the body for a Tele/Esquire partscaster.
Nope , the Fender neck is a very sloppy fit in this body from side to side , an ugly gap will be the result. The HB neck is also quite a bit thicker at the heel , so the Fender neck would at least require a rather thick shim to line the strings up in so-so fashion over the saddles.

So , Im stuck with the HB neck. Its a Roasted Maple style , maple cap neck. Frets are very rough feeling , but Im sure it will benefit from a fret level anyway , so that will be done with after the level/polish.

2 string trees , both not tightened , and much too 70´s for my taste. Holes allready filled , and a round string tree fitted in the 50s placement , and only on e and b strings.
Nut was not too far from what I prefer , only spent minutes cutting the slots a bit deeper. Appears to be decent material , not too soft , so it stays.
pickguard , not the usual shape , but if the front pu get moved a bit , I think a Fender spec guard could be fitted.
Switch , is the cheap asian type , will have to go , pots and jack as well. Jack plate , is the typical cheap one. Either a Gibson LP plate , or an Electrosocket ( old screw holes will show )
Pickups are surprisingly good , although rather low output...
oh yeah , tuners ....ehhhh......no , new vintage tuners will be used.
Weighs 7 pounds even.I got carried away , the color tricked me into getting one.
Its a typical cheap guitar , neck is maybe slightly better than what could have been , but not much.
I will fix it up , and keep it. Maybe use some weird wiring mods for fun , but when Im done , the neck will have seen hours of work.
The body and MAYBE the pickups will also stay , the rest will be changed out.
FYI: I believe the Harley Benton neck pocket is for a 2.25 neck, not the usual Fender 2.19 wide neck.
I have a guitar made by the same place and it's 2.25.
I ordered a 2.25 neck from MusiKraft and it fits perfect. But I have to say, the original neck is great actually. (mine is ebony? Rosewood? Faux wood? I cant tell) Still undeicded if I like the new neck better.

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
thumbnail_16824861_800.jpg
There you go, or we'll be here all day! ;)

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I've gotten two HB's, there will not be a third. The Prinz model turned out pretty good after dumping a bunch of money into it, the rosewood one needs a neck, the original was not good.

viking

Friend of Leo's
This is in a hurry , sorry. The storm took my fence last night , dammit !

The guitar is a lovely Shell Pink. Im very sad that the Fender neck I have here doesnt fit. I tried searching before ordering , but nothing firm came up , other than " It should fit " , etc....Well it doesnt.
HB_Front[1].jpg

The neck is a bit thicker at the heel than a Fender , and the Fender neck have a very sloppy fit side ways , too bad.

Harley Benton is not a Manufacturer , its just a name that Thomann , probably the biggest Music Instrument dealer in Europe , uses for all their cheap-ish stuff. So , buying a HB pickguard wont automatically give you a decent fit , its probably made somewhere else !
HB_Guard[1].jpg
I have tried to lay a 52-ish guard ( Allparts , I think ) over the original one.
It has a guard mounted neck pu , but if the pu gets body mounted , Im sure a decent fit could be possible. Others have reported that this probably couldnt be done.

The tuners are vintage style , and really not great , must go. The cheaper ones are sometimes only 6 mm posts , like these . Most Kluson or Gotohs are 1/4 inch ( 6.35 mm ) , so the bushings will have to go as well.

The Pings used on CV Squiers , and some Fenders feel much better than these.

The headstock could be modded into a more Tele like shape , I will probably do this in the future.
HB_Headstock[1].jpg

I have allready removed the two , untightened and crooked , t style string retainers. Like most things from the 70s , best to avoid them , I think....Round button just south of the G string tuner , every time.....ahhhhhh !

The nut was just slightly too high in the slots , and doesnt feel soft. Unfortunately , the witdh of the neck is comparable to a vintage Fender , but the slots are cut in too narrow spacing , so a bit of real estate is missing.
Not much , but noticeable by my fat fingers. A Tusq nut must be ordered.

The neck is a maple-cap , roasted style.....Ok , if you are into this..I guess. Shape ? Size ? I have no idea , I can play them all.

Radius is not vintage , but flatter.....Sorry I havent put my gauges on it Edit : Its a 12 inch

A fret level is on the menu soon. The frets arent horrible , but the action could get a bit lower.
HB_Jack[1].jpg

The jack plate is the typical one used on so many cheap guitars. Two options , deal with the holes , if going with an Electrosocket. Or using a Les Paul style plate, hmmmm .

Pots , switch , and jack , must go just because.....Pu´s are decent , if you like middle of the road a5 , 6.5K bridge pu. They are surprisingly well built , with proper base plate on the bridge etc. Many people would like these just fine , I think.

So there you have it , a cheap , not-so-bad guitar , in a lovely color ........When Im done with it , it will probably be as good as a Classic Vibe Squier , and the cost probably about the same , LOL.

Last edited:

viking

Friend of Leo's
My experience was totally bad with this one ??? Im sorry this is not what I meant to say......

The nut was cut almost correct , which is not a given thing with a cheap guitar. The string action is not so high as to give trouble , a beginner could easily play this guitar.

I even make it a point to say the pickups are much better that what could have been on a guitar this price.

I might be a ****ty player , but Im far from a beginner , and when I insert a cable into the jack , I know I will have to change it , one can just feel the lack of quality.

Same with the tuners , they will not do their job in the long term

We know this is the case with a lot of guitars , and still we buy them .....

The rather popular ash bodied " 52 style " HB Tele looks great , most people will probably be annoyed when it shows up , and they now own a 10 pound guitar...Is that bad quality ?

Probably not , but 90 % of the people that bought it will rarely play a 10 pound guitar.

This is a cheap guitar , it costs less than half of what a CV Squier costs.....

They also market a Les Paul HB , only slightly more than half the price of the Shell Pink Tele here....

I doubt it will be worth buying.

viking

Friend of Leo's
I have no opinion about roasted Maple......yet !

This guitar , however , is now my new couch-noodle-machine , I guess we all have one , right ?

Because you lot made me drag it out for pics , I also remembered to order a bunch of crap for it :

4 way OAK switch , Orange drop 0.022 cap , ( I will probably find 15 others before it arrives ) ,decent Kluson tuners , ( Wanted Gotoh SD 91´s but sold out every place I buy stuff ) Gotoh in tune saddles , thats about it ,

Oh yeah a Tusq saddle as well........I should have at least 5 electrosockets , and 5 Gibson metal plates I can use for the jack , and I distinctly remember a bag with at least 10 quality jacks in it.......

Oh , well I dont excactly lack Teles in my arsenal , so ......I ordered from Thomann , and ALMOST slipped a blue one in my shopping cart......Thats how much I dislike them !

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The control plate cut-out needs opening a little with a drum sander, or, change the control plate for a Fender sized one, then it'll mostly fit.

Pink guitars look great as they are. Under stage lighting, they look fantastic. Maybe the same effect that gave us TV yellow?
Don't change the pickguard. The stock one looks fine.
The output socket plate is fine. The socket itself?, maybe less than stellar. A Switchcraft one is fit once, forget.
Strat switch tip.
I had a Harley Benton Tele-a-like model. A low end one. The neck was floppy in that I could flex it a tone at will. It recovered to pitch, which was nice, but I prefer something more rigid. The neck pickup was lovely, but the bridge pickup?, UGH! If it was my first Tele rodeo, I wouldn't have remounted. Glad to read they've addressed that.

viking

Friend of Leo's
The neck is not flexible , no problem there . I will rework this one , and give it a Tadeo treatment ,, LOL.

I didnt have plans for a black guard , but I have Telecaster Vintage OCD , you see I HAVE to have a vintage String Button , AND a 5 screw guard , LOL....Neck pu MUST be body mounted , sorry

Havent decided yet if this one will be an Esquire , we shall see.....Though I dont play many gigs these days ,

they must all be capable of playing a gig without problems.......

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
What's wrong with the HB neck? It looks great.
What's wrong with the output jack plate? Replace the jack with a genuine Switchcraft jack.