Harley Benton T Style DIY Kit

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Mark-spark86, Sep 16, 2020.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I would say you can build something excellent at half the price. Exactly what I want would be quite pricey, even if I did all myself. But yeah - still way less than a custom made one at $4000+ I guess.

Ghostdriver and Mark-spark86 like this.
  2. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Welcome to a very nice helpful forum on Telecaster enthusiasts. That is looking really good. I also really enjoy working with my hands and figuring things out it is so therapeutic and rewarding. One nice thing about using high quality parts pickups, tuners, bridges, switches, pots, wire, etc. on a cheaper build is you can remove them and put them in your next upgrade body and neck. I appreciate your post and your pics. As you say in your country "carry on" :) I just put this partscaster cheap cheap $39.00 Banggood Chinese body and $19.00 neck together last week. You will find lots of help here and advice I sure did when I started building my RCB Twangmaster Telecasters. You can skip my monologue description about 1:50 music starts about 5:13

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Tele_Luvr, mkdaws32 and Mark-spark86 like this.
  3. mkdaws32

@rcboals - nice build. I like the way it turned out and really enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing!

4. Mark-spark86

Mark-spark86 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I agree with you that it's rewarding and therapeutic to work on you're on guitars and projects, already thinking on what I can do next, a long way to go before then though. I've been using the pots and wiring that I took out my Squier Tele to put in the HB Tele so it's a good things I kept the parts in a box.
    can't wait till its all put together and I can crank it through my arp with some fuzz!

Also, thanks for sharing the video. Nice build and good to hear you're safe in this crazy time!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. Mark-spark86

My next thing to figure out is a replacement nut, I have removed the crappy one that it came with but it measures 41mm in length and the smallest I have seen to replace it with is 42mm. I assume I can carefully sand down the edges a tiny amount to get it to fit?
    anyone had some experience with this?

6. Mark-spark86

Last few parts arrived today so looking more like a guitar not I’ve placed it together. I like the black tuners and scratch plate but thinking to leave the bridge and control plate chrome to have a nice mix? New nut came too, which is a little big. Have to sand it a tiny bit so it’ll fit then do the edges so it’s flush with the neck.
    Going to start sanding and polishing the body on Friday then I just have to wire in the pickups and string it up!

Attached Files:

7. mkdaws32

Wow - looking very good!

8. Mark-spark86

Couldn’t wait till Friday to finish the body, it didn’t take me as long as i thought it would.
    Really happy with the outcome and how much it shines, though I wish I had done 2/3 more coats on the front and back so it’d be thicker. When I’ve read how easy it is to sand through the nitro and to be careful on the edges, they weren’t kidding! Only I will notice a few tiny places on the edges but oh well, lesson learnt!
    Next is to redrill holes for new scratch plate and get the nut to fit in!

9. Mark-spark86

I finally finished it! Not sure on a name yet but feel that it should have one?
    I've learned a lot doing this project, some things I know I could do better but it's all part of the process and I wouldn't change it for the world. I kept the stock pickups in, I like the neck pickup but the bridge doesn't have enough grunt for my liking so thinking I may put in a hotrails or a single coil humbucker?
    Still need to do the intonation but that wont take me too long, then I can run it though some fuzz and annoy the family :)
    Need a new project now!?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.