1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

harley benton kit t type

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by the-woey-man, Aug 8, 2017.

1. the-woey-man

the-woey-man Tele-Meister

hi. Just wanted to give my thoughts on this kit guitar . Maybe someone out there is considering getting one. It was only about £70 delivered if I remember right. the body is basswood with a maple and rosewood neck. The neck feels like a chunky c shape and it's got vintage style frets. It comes with a paddle headstock. I have no proper tools so cut out the shape with a hacksaw then did lots of sanding. It came out good but was time consuming. The frets needed a level, fret ends sorting a bit etc, but after all that its a pretty nice neck. I sanded the back and finished with a few thin coats of tru oil. I also rolled the fretboard edges a little for a more comfortable feel. The nut was cheap plastic that snapped by itself. It needs a nice new bone nut. the hardware in the box is very cheap. As with the pickups etc, but what more could be expected at this price. when I first started painting this guitar I had a nice colour similar to this but paler and bluer. The paint ran out before I finished it. I tried to get more but the colour had been discontinued so I settled for this. It's a bit too green but close enough. I finished with a few coats of poly. Anyway, I changed the tuners, bridge and pickguard, set it up and left it hanging on a wall at my mothers house. I play it when I pop round and so do other people. It's been a few years now but it's time I finished this guitar off with new pickups, pots and nut. my only problem with it is neck dive. It's not well balanced having such a light body. Vintage style turners might help but this particular guitar needs something to weight the body. Suggestions? all in all this kit was great value and a fun learning experience, and with time work and a few mods you can get an awesome guitar. My only regret is that matching headstock. D'oh! WP_20170808_12_28_18_Pro.jpg WP_20170808_12_28_52_Pro.jpg WP_20170808_12_29_29_Pro.jpg WP_20170808_12_29_03_Pro.jpg WP_20170808_12_29_45_Pro.jpg WP_20170808_12_29_55_Pro.jpg WP_20170808_12_30_02_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    BoogerRooger, stinkey, 41144 and 2 others like this.
  2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The neckdive could be totally better understood if it had a a decal or picture of what it's going for.
    you might even want to cut out the part between the fangs.

fangsalot8.jpg

noice guitar, none the less

the-woey-man likes this.
  3. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey I see nothing wrong with the headstock....I rather like it!! Very nice guitar....

RJ

Kriticaster and the-woey-man like this.
  4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The neck dive might be fixed somewhat if you move the strap button a bit (see photo):
    strap-button-fix.png

stinkey, Kriticaster and the-woey-man like this.
  5. the-woey-man

hey man, thanks for tip I will definitely be trying this

Kriticaster likes this.
  6. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Sorry for posting on an old thread... but just to say that I think it’s a mighty fine looking guitar!

I quite like the matching headstock!

Did you move the strap button and improve the neck dive?

I’m interested in getting one of these to do a custom paint job on, but wondering how bad the neck dive is??

Did you go ahead and upgrade the electronics etc? How does she sound now??

Did you like the wood grain underneath? Or is it definitely for a full paint job?

7. stringsthings

stringsthings TDPRI Member

Very nice job. I like the matching headstock. I'm finishing up build now and will probably get a HB kit next.

Kriticaster likes this.
  8. Piet Ruyssinck

Piet Ruyssinck TDPRI Member

1529788266202.jpg 1529788304111.jpg

I did two of those T-style kits from Thomann myself. Very playable guitars I must say.

9. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats to you @the-woey-man .... Perhaps the green will "weather/mature" to a Quo green. :)
    As for neck-dive .... Wider strap made with a suede backing.

Been thinking about having a go with a Tele kit myself in the winter, but will probably go for an Alder body, despite adding a few £ to the price.
    fwiw - not a fan of coloured headstocks either but if it works... it works.
    At less than £100 I won't expect too much from the barebones but, suspect like you, will enjoy the challenges/learning curve and will definitely upgrade the pickups too to at least Tonerider AlNiCos, although Barenuckle 55s would be tempting.

Kriticaster likes this.
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Move the strap button onto the back of the neck plate.

Kriticaster likes this.
  11. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Holic

Good idea! Do you mean put one of the neck screws through the button and attach to the plate?

I’m also thinking about the wood grain on these kits as I’d like to do a semi exposed finish, so probably a different wood would suit the project better?? Ash or Alder?

12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Should be enough thread to achieve a good snug neck fit still. I've done it a few times.

Kriticaster likes this.
  13. stringsthings

Ash is often used since it can have a nice grain pattern.

Kriticaster likes this.
  14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I'm contemplating one of these kits - I already have upgraded tuners, bridge, and pickups.

Build pictures / thread will happen if I do.

Kriticaster likes this.
  15. the-woey-man

hi all. In response to the questions about if i ever upgraded etc, i never did, i just don't plug it in...ever. I take it camping and play it at 3 am. I shaped a new nut from bone and that improved it. here she is in west wales having a drink WP_20180627_20_49_14_Pro.jpg

Kriticaster likes this.
  16. stringsthings

What type of paint did you use on the body and headstock? It looks really good.

17. the-woey-man

i think it was montana paint. I bought it from a graffiti shop

Kriticaster likes this.
  18. the-woey-man

WP_20180721_16_06_19_Pro.jpg so.....this is happening. The sins are piling up

LutherBurger likes this.
  19. stringsthings

I'm curious as to why you didn't buy another HB kit to put the floyd on.
    Were you unhappy with the green standard tele setup?

20. the-woey-man

hi there. I've got another tele that i would never mess with. I wanted a guitar with a floyd. I was given the bridge a while back and i have an old dimarzio humbucker lying round. The pickups in the green tele are pretty crap. I thought I'd put the bridge and humbucker on this because all it will cost me is some time. It's going to be an ugly beast but at least Il have what I'm fiending for... I hope

Kriticaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.