1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harley Benton copy of "The Prinz"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MaskedRider, Oct 18, 2013.

1. llamont

llamont TDPRI Member

Yeah, I totally misunderstood the date format... "4/13" was April 13, 2017 and not April 2013. My bad :)

Re the transparent celluloid, I wasn't expecting it to be transparent either when I bought it but the single sheet was close to $70 so I was using it regardless. Now that it's in place, it's not that bad. The celluloid is a cloudy transparency and I can deal with that.

I bet you could find a piece of vinyl to stick on the bottom side of the celluloid. That would fix the transparency issue.

capt pearl and bender66 like this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've still yet to mount my own pickguards. Go figure. To motivate me I should sell the existing Frederik
    3-ply manufactured set.

I've also considered doing another run of celluloid.

DarkKnight37 and zippofan like this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I got my TE-80 last month, ordered it right after Christmas and it took weeks to get here. I've also spent way too much time trying to find a sheet of the Boston brand tiger yellow pickguard material that someone would ship to the states. Closest I could get was the wildcat yellow, which ain't bad, but it sure isn't celluloid acetate or even the tiger yellow, which I think looks pretty good for 3 ply. The few places I found carrying it were in Europe and weren't willing or interested to ship it to me.

I had my luthier install a Gotoh style bridge (actually the bridge from my Squier VM72 Thinline which got the Gotoh bridge) because when I was removing the original, the center rear screw gave up half way out and of course left a piece in the body. Years ago I would have tried myself to remove it and hilarity would have ensued, with either me in the hospital or a large gash across the lower bout. Wisely I took it to him instead. He's also buried a custom decal in lacquer for me on the headstock.

I got one of the heavy ones that was probably made on a Friday, as they drilled a couple extra hidden pickguard holes, no extra charge. I got Thomann to refund some cash since otherwise it was going back. The new Roswell pickups are ok but the electronics are not, and that's my hobby anyway so I have a new harness going in, and I had Rose pickups custom wind me some Strat p'ups, they should be here any day.

Frets seem level but need a good polish, so once I get the wildcat yellow made into pickguards, and the Rose pickups come I'll be finishing her up.

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

give them a 5 way switch with the bill lawrence diagram and you will have more fun with it

5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Just got the shipping notice for the Rose pickups for my TE-80! Just in time, I'm picking up the guitar from my luthier Saturday after he buried a custom decal in lacquer on the headstock for me, and cut the wildcat yellow pickguards.
    I'm really looking forward to playing this beast, it's a heavy one.

DarkKnight37 likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

And here we are... I need to work on the frets a little, there's a couple high ones. The nut needs to be filed too, but she's about there. It has to be 10 lbs!

TE80MadCat.jpg

llamont likes this.
  7. llamont

llamont TDPRI Member

She’s definitely got some weight to her but nothing too crazy. Enjoy!!!!

zippofan likes this.
  8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Dressed and crowned the frets, filed the nut over the weekend, she plays nice!
    HarleyBentonMadCat.jpg
    Good thing I got a nice heavy Right-On leather strap though, this Cat is the heaviest guitar I own.

llamont likes this.
  9. llamont

llamont TDPRI Member

Did the “H. Benton Madcat” headstock logo come like that from Thomann?

zippofan likes this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

The decal is from a fellow TDPRI'er that I got on eBay :cool: I had my luthier install and bury with lacquer. I usually do decals myself, but I wasn't comfortable removing the original Harley Benton logo without ruining the headstock finish, I've only done a couple of Warmoth necks.

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Finally weighed this beast yesterday, it replaces my Epi Les Paul Standard as my heaviest guitar. 10.5 lbs (with strap)! :eek:
    Really enjoying it though, changing out the bridge plate and saddles made a big difference in playability from stock, and the pickups Rose wound for me are perfect. Great neck Strat tone from the Robusta, and crunch from the bridge Buff Beauty. I added a steel baseplate to the bridge pickup, not a whole lot of difference but I like it and it's staying.
    As my luthier said, good bones, great feeling neck, just beefy enough for me. I'd compare it to my Squier VM 72 Thinline, vs the thinner necks on the CV 69 Thinline.
    I may try bent steel saddles on the next string change, or keep it as it is with the GFS block steel saddles I like. The bridge plate is from my 72 Thinline, which I swapped with a Gotoh. It was a close fit on the Harley Benton, and came originally with bent steel saddles.
    One other thing, I like 095-44 strings on my Tele. I usually play pure nickel, Mangans or Pyramids, but this time I tried Vinci nickel plated that I picked up on the cheap from eBay. I really like them so far, they bring the twang.

12. Aschwin

Aschwin TDPRI Member

I ordered mine at Thomann as well. Ordered my scratch plate at scratch-it.com in the UK. First they send me a template to fit the guitar. After I confirmed they made the pick guard. Very pleased about it. Now I’m thinking to change the logo to the mad at version.

Attached Files:

DarkKnight37, zippofan and llamont like this.
  13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Is the pickguard celluloid?

14. llamont

llamont TDPRI Member

Aschwin, PLEASE elaborate on the Cloud guitar!!!!

Kriticaster likes this.
  15. Aschwin

Aschwin TDPRI Member

It’s see through yes.
    What I didn’t know was that the Tele has router carvings from pick up to volume knob. I solved that by making a picture of the body. Printed it and placed it underneath the pick guard. When you know it you can see it but it works.

bender66 likes this.
  16. Aschwin

Aschwin TDPRI Member

What do you mean? Where I got it?

17. llamont

llamont TDPRI Member

Sure!!!

18. Aschwin

Aschwin TDPRI Member

Oh I see, ordered it 2016 at rareelectricguitars.com including shipping and customs it was almost 600€. Recently I read a lot of bad reviews about them but I had good updates including fotos and to this day still happy with it.

Attached Files:

bender66 and llamont like this.
  19. llamont

llamont TDPRI Member

Thanks for sharing! Is the Cloud a full-size guitar or does it have a smaller profile than a strat/tele?

20. Aschwin

Aschwin TDPRI Member

Neck is 46 cm.

Attached Files:

llamont likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.