1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harley Benton copy of "The Prinz"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MaskedRider, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

My guitar got "lost in translation". 2 friends on other forums living in the USA already got theirs. one guy even lives in my town and he ordered his a week after I ordered mine because I told him about it.

I emailed Thomann and they wrote back:

"According to the DHL website the parcel has been sent via plane to the USA on the 15.10.2013 but apparently USPS didn’t register it yet. Your local post should be able to locate your parcel with the UPU code / matchcode CL7389639xxxx."

I called the post office and they told me this is the current status of my shipment:

"Origin Post in GERMANY is Preparing Shipment October 15, 2013"

2. stevene44

stevene44 TDPRI Member

Sorry to hear, MaskedRider.

I've had similar anxious moments waiting for Asian and European purchases to clear customs @ LAX and JFK. Never sure if caused by 'sticky fingers' or simple incompetence...

I wonder if choosing UPS shipping would be better/safer for US customers? (Keep USPS out of the chain of custody, though still goes through customs).

Hope it shows up!

Best-

3. MaskedRider

Thanks! Well 2 of my friends on other forums have already gotten theirs and they both ordered their guitars several days after mine had shipped. One guy lives in right near me so his went through the same airport customs and same post office.He got his on Monday(photo's below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine is still MIA

I got this email from Thomann today:

"Please note that last scan on the DHL website means that the parcel has been sent on this day to the United States via plane.

All those parcels are in a huge DHL container which arrive first at the airport where all the parcels has to be scanned and registered by USPS.
    There is no reason to be worried although, of course I understand that the delay is frustrating.

I am checking now myself on the whereabouts of your parcel with our DHL business contact and get back to you asap.

Apologies for the delay though!"

4. MaskedRider

My other friend got this one yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. shane66

shane66 TDPRI Member

Hy, it's a one piece neck ?

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That's my tele. I hadn't gotten around to posting it here yet. Sorry about yours being in limbo masked. Be patient. They're worth it.

10lb Tele!

It's a 2 piece neck, .85 at the 1st fret, something I didn't mention on the other forum. Chunky-ish. 42mm nut width. Not sure of the fret size either... not vintage, not jumbo. I like 'em.

Prob wire up a better quality harness, but until it craps out, i'm good with it for my meager skills. Previous posters weren't kidding though. Incredible bargain for $200 US. They even had a B-stock when I ordered mine.

7. FastMattTX

FastMattTX Tele-Meister

A question for those of you who have one in-hand - is the fingerboard radius like Fender/Squier (<=9.5") or like SX (=>12")?

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Closer to a Rondo neck i'd say. I have some radius guides. When I take of the strings I'll check.

I'll bet it's got the exact same specs as my chunky necked Agile TC & SX Tele necks (those are also .85 at the 1st fret). They (HB, Agile, & SX) feel identical, for which I'm happy about.

9. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Thomann´s stuff is very helpful and friendly. I´m sure you´ll get it soon.

10. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

The 2 tone pickguard on the original is one of it's best features.
    I wouldn't be happy with the plastic on these replicas.

11. MaskedRider

Unfortunately,The celluloid material that was used for the guards on the originals hasn't been made for over 40 years. It all came from one factory in Italy. most of the stuff was used to make fountain pens. The japanese company the made the original Mad Cats has the only remaining stock of this material and the only way to get some is to buy one of the Mad Cats reissues for about $3000. Or you can find one of the originals for about $5000-$6000. If you find one with the Hohner Logo like Prince's it would be more.I have never seen another one like his except in the Hohner ad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Wow! Thanks for the response. I guess, I could see the pickguard material was distinctive.
    Someone should work on replication.
    The original sure is sweet!

13. FN79

FN79 TDPRI Member

14. MaskedRider

Below are some original Celluloid (Cellulose Nitrate) pickguards.This pickguard material was made in Italy in the early 70's.Here is some info about celluloid from http://www.lashingguitars.com/

" Celluloid is obsolete. Its a specialty item and that's why no one in America makes it. The raw materials used to manufacture celluloid are indeed controlled explosives and manufacturing or transporting it in raw form take much paperwork. A guitar pickguard is not illegal nor a controlled substance. Celluloid is still used for ping pong balls as it is the only plastic offering the "bounce". Other uses are pens, picks and .. pickguards. Eyeglass frames used to be made from Celluloid and those are now illegal in many places. Reason being Celluloid "spits" when ignited. That's why those cool tortoise eyeglass frames look different today than the vintage ones. Celluloid is better looking but it was not a risk governments felt people should take being near the eyes"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greasy Groove sells this material but I don't think it is transparent.I think the back is white.

[​IMG]

15. FastMattTX

FastMattTX Tele-Meister

bender66, thanks for the info!

That's the only fly in the ointment for me - I like more curve on a Tele-style fingerboard. The Mad Cat was apparently patterned after a Fender, as the reissue lists a 9.4" radius.

Gorgeous guitar - glad you're enjoying it!

16. Unkie Al

Unkie Al Tele-Holic

I have a Hohner Te Prinz from 1991 and i am really tempted to order one of these critters. I would like to see how it stacks up against Ye Ol' Prinz.
    The Hohner is by far the heaviest of my 10+ Tele's, has a very distinctive sound and feel and is an extremely well build instrument.

Any owners og the TE-80 who would like to give a review and maybe even post a sound clip? :)

Attached Files:

17. MaskedRider

After waiting 4 weeks to get my Harley Benton "Prince" tele Thomann sent me this email today:

"I am very sorry to hear that the delivery of your order failed!

It's of course not normal that the parcel gets lost but unfortunately this sometimes happens. In these cases we ALWAYS start an investigation which normally takes 4 to 8 weeks. We are investigating together with the German Post and are trying to find out the whereabouts of the parcels.

Please note your parcel could still arrive in the meantime - in this case we would kindly ask you to let us know so we could stop the ongoing investigation.

If we cannot find the original parcel, as it has been lost in transit, we will send you a replacement or refund your money - we just have to wait for the closed investigation for

security reasons. We know, this is a bit inconvenient, but unfortunately for legal reasons this is the procedure we have to follow.

Kind regards

Lydia Rodarte-Quayle

Thomann International sales"

[​IMG]

18. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

These, my son, are material things.
    Think of this as a lesson in adult patience and composure.

Shoot man! Somebody pinched the Prinz.

19. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Stevia?

LiteAsh and TheletterJ like this.
  20. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Sorry to hear of that frustrating situation..
    I also suspect "sticky fingers".

at least Thomann is caring and communicating openly through emails about the issue.
    I've bought lots of their stuff and never had any probs with them.

hope it gets solved fast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.