1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Harley Benton copy of "The Prinz"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MaskedRider, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MaskedRider

MaskedRider Tele-Afflicted

I ordered this one from music retail giant Thomann in Germany. It's a copy of the Hohner telecaster copy of Prince's Hohner Telecaster copy.they cost $167 plus $40 shipping to the USA (link)

HB TE-80(left) Horner The Prinz(right)

[​IMG][​IMG]

These are the specs for the Harley Benton TE-80 Deluxe

Harley Benton TE-80 NT Deluxe Series Electric Guitar, Ash Body with Flamed Maple Top, Walnut Body Strip, Bolt-On thomann Hardrock Canadian C-Shape Maple Neck, Maple Fingerboard, 648mm Scale, 21 Frets, 43mm Nut Width, Black Body Binding, Double Action Trussrod, Leopard Pickguards, 2 x Wilkinson Alnico Vintage Singlecoil Pickups, 1-Volume & 1-Tone Vontrol & 3-Way Toggle Switch, Hardtail Bridge, Deluxe Hardware, Die-Cast Tuners, thomann Daddario 010-046 Strings, Color Hi-Gloss Natural.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prince's guitar is an HS Anderson Mad Cat that was re-branded as a Hohner. There were only about 500 Mad Cats made in total including the Hohner versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hohner made a couple of reissues in the 80's,90's and 2000s:

The one at the top below is the last Hohner reissue the HTA490 and the one in the middle is the Hohner "The Prinz"(first reissue) the one at the bottom is THe Hohner "TE Prinz"(second reissue)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the deluxe reissue made for Horner by Staufer(Czech Republic?) I think these sold for around $800.

[​IMG]

The last time I saw a TE Prinz on Ebay it sold for $1400.00 (link)

[​IMG]

bloomz likes this.
  2. krasy

krasy TDPRI Member

Please post a short review of your thoughts about build quality and yhe guitar overall when you receive it.
    I really like they TE-52 NA Vintage Series but something is holding me back

3. MaskedRider

Thanks! I'll let you know when I get it. The TE-52 looks pretty nice too.

Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series electric guitar. Bolt-on neck construction, American ash body, Canadian maple C-neck with thomann rosewood skunk strip, DOT inlays, 21 frets, 648mm scale, 42mm nut-widt, double-action trussrod, 2 x Wilkinson Alnico vintage TE -style singlecoil pickups, electronic 1-volume, 1-tone & 3-way switch, deluxe chrome hardware, kluson-style tuners, Daddario 09-042 strings, color hi-gloss Natural.

Uncle Mui likes this.
  4. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

+1 for the review. I am really curious to know.

5. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

That is just an unbelievably low price....can it be any good?

Anyone here have one and can comment please?

6. MaskedRider

There is another thread about these here (link)

A forum Member owns this one:

[​IMG]

More cataloge photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Tele_Luvr and GrantR like this.
  7. Sooper8

Sooper8 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the link!

'Delxue' :eek::lol:

8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Pretty cool! A lot of the details/hardware reminds me of the SX and Douglas guitars Rondo Music sells. Did you say only $40 for shipping to the US? If so, I'd say very reasonable.

9. MaskedRider

Yes,shipping from Germany to the USA is 30 euro or about $40.75. The total for my order was $212 and change. There is no duty because the guitar is under $200.

10. MaskedRider

Check out this 1988 Hohner "THe Prinz". This one was up for sale for $1500 in the Seymour Duncan Forum classifieds in 2012. It almost looks like the same guitar as the Harley Benton.

[​IMG]

11. MaskedRider

Here is another Hohner The Prince

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Below is the Harley Benton TE-80 (top) and a Hohner The Prince(bottom 2).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tele_Luvr likes this.
  12. vlammie

vlammie Tele-Meister

I think it's funny they copied the '80s hohner copies that were made in Korea, and not the original japanese mad cats.

:D

13. MaskedRider

Haha,could be because these are made by Saein.They aren't being marketed by Thomann as copies of the Hohner "The Prince" but I think there is a striking resemblance.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  14. MaskedRider

Welch guitars are also made by Saein. You can see that this one below has a pickguard mad from the same material as the Harley Benton.Same bridge pickup too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. MaskedRider

HS-TE80 and HB-TE80

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. MaskedRider

My Friend "pumpkin" on the Shortscale forum got one a couple of days ago.This is what he said about his:

"Okay, got mine today... First impressions... this mother ***** weights a metric ton, **** is heavier than my Les Paul.

The pickups sound nice, definitely get Strat and of course Tele tones. What blows me away about this guitar is how well it's made. It feels like a €1000 or more guitar. The neck isn't sticky at all and it feels really solid. It slips out of tune but that's just because the strings are new and need the slack played out of them.

It needs a bit of setup, a couple of sharp frets... but really this is not a €149 guitar, I would pay easily €600 for this in the shop. Really really pleasantly surprised. This is by and far the best Telecaster I have ever owned and I have had a couple of Made in the U.S.A. Telecasters."

Here are photos of his guitar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tele_Luvr and Uncle Mui like this.
  17. stevene44

stevene44 TDPRI Member

MaskedRider:

Thanks for the post from your buddy Pumpkin regarding the Harley Benton Prinz Tele. He confirms what others have said about the weight of the ash body. And, I was delighted to read his impressions about build quality!
    Is he in Europe or the US? (From his references to weight and money, I suspect Europe). My only concern is shipping time and secure packing. Looks like US buyers can choose UPS rather than DHL. I'd welcome your evaluation once you receive the 'lil (but heavy!) Prinz.

Thanks-

18. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

I think, Thomann is the biggest store in Europe. It´s well known for fast shipping and real secure packing. These are my experiences too, and I dealed a lot with them. So there should be no reason not to deal with them.

Harley Benton is their own brand, I think these items are made in any of the big companies in China like many others.

19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

My tracking says in the country (US) after 5-6? days of order. Pretty damned quick.

Just waiting... waiting... waiting.

20. FN79

FN79 TDPRI Member

I'm looking forward to hear what all of you other guys think. I'm positive about the quality, but then again, my main instrument is drums, so maybe I'm not the right on to review it.
    The guitar player from my band think its' nice to.
    The only thing I wasn't satisfied with was the bridge saddles, the allen screws is of pour quality, but Thomann corrected that with a discount after a small video of the issue.
    I have ordered keystones for it + other tuners + pots and switch. The feeling of the 3 way switch is a little cheap to - but of course it does it's job.
    Did I mention its really heavy? But it looks great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.