Harebrained Thinline Idea

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Steve Holt, Nov 10, 2019.

1. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That looks great!! Love the color.

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I really like how this is turning out...hollowed but still with the arm relief. Great job! I like the pick guard you show, too.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

The problem I have with the pick guard that is on it now is that it photographs to the exact color I want, but in person is too green. It's a cheap mint pick guard from the stratosphere.

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Yessss..... that’s coming together nicely.

crazydave911 and Steve Holt like this.
  5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Looks great and I really like the blue. I have my first scratch built Strat prototype sitting here and need to redo it and fix the numerous warts. That color is calling me...

6. Jim_in_PA

LOL...I didn't realize it was a mint colored pick guard. The white balance is apparently a little off on the photo I guess. So...I'll amend my comment to be "I like the guard style and think white or similar will look great!"

7. Steve Holt

Better get after it! That's what this build is for me. I kind of thought I'd scrap the body and build a new body around the neck someday. I wasn't interested in having another guitar that heavy.

Once I got the neck bolted on last night I was fake playing it and it just felt good. The neck is thin with a soft V towards the first fret and it just feels like it will be a player.

8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Most bodies can be fixed. I've built at least 15 Strats since that first one and learned so much. As long as I can cover up the fixes with a solid color I don't worry about it.

When you can play and enjoy it that's what makes it so worthwhile. I don't get many chances to make anything for myself. I have a lot of friends that play so they keep me busy.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Steve Holt

20191205_204147.jpg

It's always something. I started clearcoats the other night. Started on the neck. I was a little worried about cold weather but it was going really well so I decided to start on the body. I did a coat around the sides and front then did the back and hung it back up. A little while later I realized I forgot to tape up the neck pocket again, so I checked the front and the finish was dry so I laid out a newspaper to my holder stick off and taped it up. Lifted the body and the newspaper came with it. And I realized I never checked the back to see it it was dry. And I had laid down a heavier coat...ugh

So I let it dry and go the sander out. I had JUST enough primer to get the back primed again so I could do blue. And it looks pretty good again. Still a few light spots but I'll do some more blue before I go back to clear.

20191205_212336.jpg 20191207_105547.jpg

10. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Should have left the newspaper there...............at least it would have made it unique!!!!!!:lol:

DC

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Steve Holt

You're not the first person to say that. I don't regret removing it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Jim_in_PA

[​IMG]

Good recovery, however...

Steve Holt and crazydave911 like this.
  13. Steve Holt

Hey it's a lot better than my first go around. I had done a few refinishes before but they didn't turn out very professionally. Okay, but not great. Anyway I was refinishing my Rick bass and had laid out the clearcoats almost perfectly (for me at least) when it came time to wet sand. The page I'd been reading said to use 100% mineral spirits to wet sand instead of water. Okay, mineral spirits is just paint thinner, I have that. (reaches for bottle of lacquer thinner)

And you can figure out the rest. Never made that mistake again.

14. Jim_in_PA

I can commiserate...my build two body...the thinline burst with the VG D-Fir top got damaged when I inadvertently dropped something heavy on it while putting my new guitar bench in place. There was more profanity than a political diatribe... :) :D It had to be completely refinished. At least you were not fully done and could regroup as you did!

Steve Holt likes this.
  15. Steve Holt

Just about done. Waiting on a new pickguard to show up. Then I'll be able to wire it up. I also need to make a nut. That'll be Saturday. So stay tuned! 20191212_213414.jpg

Jim_in_PA and guitarbuilder like this.
  16. Steve Holt

I got my new pickguard on Friday. So Saturday morning it was time to get to work. I wasn't planning to do the fully shielded cavity, but I was messing around with my other guitars and the only guitar that I own that doesn't do that annoying crackle when you sweep your hand across the pickguard is the one that I fully shielded. I had plenty of copper sheet laying around and it looks so cool I figured why not? 20191214_135015.jpg

I got the pickguard from the stratosphere and they always come with that annoying paper shielding that looks metallic but I have a feeling is just paper. So I scraped all of that off with a razor blade which is a huge pain and put on some thin copper shielding tape.

20191214_173704.jpg

Lately one of my goals has been to understand guitar wiring and be able to figure things out without having to rely on the diagram. That way when something goes wrong I could figure it out myself. I already had this stuff wired up from a year ago when I first tried making this but I put it in the drawer because it never worked right. So rather than diagnose it then, I just went along with my day.

So I got it taken apart to find that 2 of the 3 pickups I had wound were dead. No resistance measured at all. That's a problem for another day. I rummaged through my Strat drawer and found 3 more pickups to choose from and of the 6, including the 2 dead ones I managed to pick out three that seemed like they could work together. I'm happy to say that I disconnected the old pickups, and put in the new ones (and adjusted a few other things) without the need for a diagram. I ran a new ground wire off one of the tone pots to the copper cavity to ground all of that as well. I always struggle getting the wire to attach to the claw on the back, but yesterday I did that on my first try no problems. It's still holding now so cross your fingers.

20191214_214005.jpg

Later that night it was time to make the nut. Of course my nut slot is a hair wider than the stewmac fender blanks I buy so I had a Gibson sized blank that I sanded down to size. That's always good on your fingers.

I have the nut mostly where I want it. The slots need to be a little deeper and I need to clean it up, round the corners better and get rid of the pencil marks. But I'm going to leave it strung up at tension for a day or two to let the neck settle in before I go hog wild. 20191214_222624.jpg

Jim_in_PA and CraigB like this.
  17. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Nice save, looks great.

18. Jim_in_PA

That's really turning out very nicely!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.