Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Steve Holt, Nov 10, 2019.
Now that's what I'm talking about!
I did not weigh THIS body before. I thought about that right after I drilled my first hole with the forstner bit last night. And that was also after planing off about .25" I did weigh the other ash body that I made out of the same board on a meat scale I have at my abandoned grocery store.
That one was 5.5 lbs. So I can reasonably say that's what this one was as well. I'll be sure to get a weight off the finished body.
I'll try to get you a final weight. I didn't weigh it beforehand, but another body I made out of the same piece of wood was 5.5 lbs. So I'll use that as my starting point.
That's not my jazzmaster you're thinking of. Mine didn't have an arm or belly contour. I did binding on the top and just went with a half inch round over on the back, kind of a design tribute to a 4001 Rick Bass.
I just weighed it on my kitchen scale and it came up to 3.375 lbs. Granted I still have to put the top on, but I'm going to take out more of that belly contour tomorrow.
A little more accomplished. I have the top glued together and I'll start working on that today. I got some routing accomplished on the belly contour as well.
It doesn't look as good as a CNC machine would, but that's what happens when you have to settle for free hand. Basically what I did in case anyone else ever finds themselves in this situation was measure how deep my cut would be, add 1/4" for the thickness I want it to remain and then set my calipers to that thickness and trace around the contour drawing a line to determine the deepest I could go and still be safe. I think I could have gone further in places, but I didn't want to get greedy and ruin the thing.
I got greedy. I realized that I was doing my math wrong when I was cutting out the contour. Last night when I was working on it I started at .25" so I added the .25" thickness for safety and went with that. Then I dropped the router bit to .5" added the .25" I just cut and then the .25" of safety. I realized this morning that I was adding the previous cut each time and that wasn't necessary. So I went back and tried again and got some better results.
I also figured out my f hole cut(s) and didn't post them here before because I was happy and didn't want any feedback. So hopefully everyone here likes it too. I decided to do two cuts because I thought it could be cool. Like I said, I'm happy so that's probably what matters.
Hmm.... that looks pretty good. Will get a better idea when it’s cut to shape and glued to the body. Even better with the neck set up. But as you said - as long as you’re happy.
Oooh...that double opening is a very kewel idea!
Thanks! Another harebrained idea that hit me late at night. I drew up the first one by tracing part of a strat pickguard for the top half and then the point on the lower part was tracing the strat headstock and then I connected the two. I suck at drawing things so that seemed like a good option. And then it seemed a little small, and I had a hard time trying to enlarge it and getting it to look better. So I thought why not add a second hole further up. I'll get the thing routed tomorrow and post pictures.
Well here it is. All that's left is some sanding and finishing. Oh yeah, and the neck pocket. I'll strip the rest of the paint off and then do some thorough grain filling. Hopefully better than my last attempt at least.
You might notice the arm contour comes up a little but into the F hole, which I think is cool. I like deep comfortable contours too so this worked out well.
Here it is with the neck. What do you think now that you can see it in context?
Harebrain? Does it brainbell jangle too?
it's cool anyhow!
i dig the f-holes... kinda reminds me of those live edge wood slabs i see everywhere these days... like it was just a natural hollow in the wood...
would be cool to see a blue tint in the f-holes and a darker stain on the body to really hit that look... but i liked your original paint color too
Yeah man. That’s really got something going on. I can’t wait to see how it’s gonna look when it all comes together.
I like it. How does the pick guard contour integrate with the f holes?
Presumably you're also getting rid of the terracing from the chambering visible through the f hole? That's the first place a person will look when the see the awesomeness that is the double f-ing special. Nice job.
Some shape mirroring so that things look like they belong together is my take on that...
When I look at a traditional f-hole on a Strat and compare it to Steve’s it just looks wrong (traditional that is). What you have done here looks more like the way it should be.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn’t agree more. I dabbled with the idea of a regular Thinline style f-hole in my avatar Strat. It just didn’t look right, so I went with a normal acoustic type sound hole.
Wow thanks!! That means a lot. I have to say I tried hard on the larger cutout and then just freehanded the smaller one right before I cut it out. I was googling thinline strats to try to find some ideas and I didn't see a single one with something other than the traditional f hole. So I was trying to something cool.
Update time. I'm pretty well finished spraying sonic blue. Another coat or two and that should do it. Then I'll be ready for clear.
I absolutely hate grain filling and it hates me. I really gave it an honest go this time and even though I got 90% of it filled there are still a few spots that I missed that I didn't notice until i started spraying. Oh well. Maybe next time.
Here are a few pictures of what we have to look forward to. I'm thinking I'll go with a 3 ply white guard... Maybe parchment.