Harebrained Thinline Idea

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Steve Holt, Nov 10, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Steve Holt likes this.
  2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I did not weigh THIS body before. I thought about that right after I drilled my first hole with the forstner bit last night. And that was also after planing off about .25" I did weigh the other ash body that I made out of the same board on a meat scale I have at my abandoned grocery store.

That one was 5.5 lbs. So I can reasonably say that's what this one was as well. I'll be sure to get a weight off the finished body.

3. Steve Holt

I'll try to get you a final weight. I didn't weigh it beforehand, but another body I made out of the same piece of wood was 5.5 lbs. So I'll use that as my starting point.

That's not my jazzmaster you're thinking of. Mine didn't have an arm or belly contour. I did binding on the top and just went with a half inch round over on the back, kind of a design tribute to a 4001 Rick Bass.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. Steve Holt

I just weighed it on my kitchen scale and it came up to 3.375 lbs. Granted I still have to put the top on, but I'm going to take out more of that belly contour tomorrow.

mistermikev and telemnemonics like this.
  5. Steve Holt

A little more accomplished. I have the top glued together and I'll start working on that today. I got some routing accomplished on the belly contour as well. 20191116_205723.jpg 20191116_205718.jpg

It doesn't look as good as a CNC machine would, but that's what happens when you have to settle for free hand. Basically what I did in case anyone else ever finds themselves in this situation was measure how deep my cut would be, add 1/4" for the thickness I want it to remain and then set my calipers to that thickness and trace around the contour drawing a line to determine the deepest I could go and still be safe. I think I could have gone further in places, but I didn't want to get greedy and ruin the thing.

6. Steve Holt

I got greedy. I realized that I was doing my math wrong when I was cutting out the contour. Last night when I was working on it I started at .25" so I added the .25" thickness for safety and went with that. Then I dropped the router bit to .5" added the .25" I just cut and then the .25" of safety. I realized this morning that I was adding the previous cut each time and that wasn't necessary. So I went back and tried again and got some better results.

20191117_144725.jpg 20191117_150921.jpg

I also figured out my f hole cut(s) and didn't post them here before because I was happy and didn't want any feedback. So hopefully everyone here likes it too. I decided to do two cuts because I thought it could be cool. Like I said, I'm happy so that's probably what matters. 20191117_144622.jpg

7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Hmm.... that looks pretty good. Will get a better idea when it’s cut to shape and glued to the body. Even better with the neck set up. But as you said - as long as you’re happy. :)

Steve Holt likes this.
  8. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oooh...that double opening is a very kewel idea!

9. Steve Holt

Thanks! Another harebrained idea that hit me late at night. I drew up the first one by tracing part of a strat pickguard for the top half and then the point on the lower part was tracing the strat headstock and then I connected the two. I suck at drawing things so that seemed like a good option. And then it seemed a little small, and I had a hard time trying to enlarge it and getting it to look better. So I thought why not add a second hole further up. I'll get the thing routed tomorrow and post pictures.

10. Steve Holt

Well here it is. All that's left is some sanding and finishing. Oh yeah, and the neck pocket. I'll strip the rest of the paint off and then do some thorough grain filling. Hopefully better than my last attempt at least. 20191117_192437.jpg 20191117_201202.jpg 20191117_203946.jpg

You might notice the arm contour comes up a little but into the F hole, which I think is cool. I like deep comfortable contours too so this worked out well.

11. Steve Holt

Here it is with the neck. What do you think now that you can see it in context?

20191119_204739.jpg

12. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Harebrain? :confused: Does it brainbell jangle too? :lol:

it's cool anyhow!

crazydave911 and Steve Holt like this.
  13. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i dig the f-holes... kinda reminds me of those live edge wood slabs i see everywhere these days... like it was just a natural hollow in the wood...

would be cool to see a blue tint in the f-holes and a darker stain on the body to really hit that look... but i liked your original paint color too

14. Macrogats

Yeah man. That’s really got something going on. I can’t wait to see how it’s gonna look when it all comes together. :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

I like it. How does the pick guard contour integrate with the f holes?

Presumably you're also getting rid of the terracing from the chambering visible through the f hole? That's the first place a person will look when the see the awesomeness that is the double f-ing special. Nice job.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Some shape mirroring so that things look like they belong together is my take on that...

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. A-Zed

A-Zed TDPRI Member

When I look at a traditional f-hole on a Strat and compare it to Steve’s it just looks wrong (traditional that is). What you have done here looks more like the way it should be.

Great stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Macrogats

I couldn’t agree more. I dabbled with the idea of a regular Thinline style f-hole in my avatar Strat. It just didn’t look right, so I went with a normal acoustic type sound hole.

LeftFinger and crazydave911 like this.
  19. Steve Holt

Wow thanks!! That means a lot. I have to say I tried hard on the larger cutout and then just freehanded the smaller one right before I cut it out. I was googling thinline strats to try to find some ideas and I didn't see a single one with something other than the traditional f hole. So I was trying to something cool.

crazydave911 and LunarSlingShot like this.
  20. Steve Holt

Update time. I'm pretty well finished spraying sonic blue. Another coat or two and that should do it. Then I'll be ready for clear.

I absolutely hate grain filling and it hates me. I really gave it an honest go this time and even though I got 90% of it filled there are still a few spots that I missed that I didn't notice until i started spraying. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Here are a few pictures of what we have to look forward to. I'm thinking I'll go with a 3 ply white guard... Maybe parchment. 20191203_222315.jpg 20191203_222319.jpg 20191203_222333.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.