Hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mrboson, Jan 25, 2015.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Several months ago (September) I installed some 2 1/4 in oak flooring in a new addition, then sanded and finished it. Thought I'd mention how impressed I am with the polyurethane I used this time. I've done floors before and always used a water-based satin poly like Minwax. In fact the rest of my house was done with that stuff about 3 years ago.

But for the new addition, my wife wanted a matte finish. I was like, are you serious? She said yep. Happy wife happy life... So this time I used Bona Naturale. After getting over the sticker shock, watched a few videos on the "approved" way to apply it, then went for it. 1 Gallon sealer and 3 gallons of finish later (covered 330 sq ft with 4 coats) and I have to admit she was right. Never would have thought I would like a matte finished oak (no stain). By the way, Bona sells their "approved" roller and pad applicator for their stuff. Save your money. Any brand will work as long as it is quality. For a roller, I used 3/8 nap. I wanted lambswool and the Big Box Store was out, so I just got what I could. Worked great anyway.

I almost posted this last September, but I wanted to wait and see how the floor held up. Dog, muddy kids feet, dragging furniture, etc and 5 months in still looks perfect. Matte hides all the little tiny scratches.

Here's a pic after it was done but before all the baseboard moulding put back and touch up paint.

Attached Files:

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

looks good man...nice job!

3. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks real good. I tend to prefer wood that looks like wood so I like that. I've never really understood the purpose of stain or thick plastic finishes.

4. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

6 years ago, I had an engineered Maple floor put on my downstairs floor. I had a flood in the kitchen due to a loose plastic fitting. I mopped and dried everting up, and thought that was the end of it. Well,,, the floor was laied over my slab with a 1/2" underlayment of fiber. A month later I noticed black spots showing through the floor. The fiber underlayment had gotten wet, and mold grew. The remediation company is starting tomorrow. My $5,000 dollar floor is being completely torn out. No wonder I have been sick for 9 months! Cortisone shots, etc.. I will have to live in a motel for 3 to 4 days, and board my kitty. Be careful!

5. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

Before this project, I tended to think a floor needed the thick plastic coating to protect it, and you just had to live with the wear and tear until finally you are sick of it looking beat up and refinish it.

I think I changed my mind. This Bona stuff matte finish almost looks and feels like bare wood. But it is just as thick as other polys. I am guessing it will resist showing wear and tear for a lot longer than a satin or gloss.

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Good job! Looks really nice!

We have original hardwood in our house, but each room had the hardwood exposed at different times, and they were all finished differently at different times. We're not the original owners. The house kind of looks like a checkerboard, room to room.

Yours looks great!!

7. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Oh oh..we have a puppy, who had a few accidents on a throw rug over my hard wood floor..we may have missed a few incidents and next time I moved the rug there were black spots..haven't gotten to them..thought I could just sand them..say it ain't so..poly finished ..hope it didn't seep through..

To the op..it came out beautiful congrats.

8. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

Thanks!

Oh man... your story reminds me... 3 years ago when I refinished the rest of the house, when I was sanding the hallway floor I noticed some of the boards just weren't cleaning up right. I decided a few needed to be replaced, so I lift one out to see what was going on. The flooring and underlayment was saturated with something that used to be piss. I found out later that a previous owner of my house from long, long ago was a little old lady who often barricaded her little dogs in the hallway. They apparently just peed on the floor when they needed to. I think a prior flooring contractor just finished over it. I ended up ripping out the hallway floor and replacing it.

I don't think a few accidents are too much to worry about. But the lady letting her dogs pee on the floor with impunity resulted in a nasty mess.

9. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mrboson, that looks really, really good, especially the join with the hallway. I put down what the flooring dealer called "rustic oak" in something like a 3.5" width in my living room (where "rustic" means the cheap grade with flaws and knots... EXACTLY what I wanted anyway! ). I'm not brave enough to finish it though - especially the sanding.... I heard too many stories about amateurs gouging their floors with the big floor sanders, so I hired someone. It looks very similar to yours though mine is a semi gloss, and I love it. Glad you like yours too. Wood floors can really make a room interesting.

10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nice work!

11. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice! We did hickory on our main floor, love it.

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Hiring a pro to do the sanding is a good idea Geoff. In our case my girlfriend hired a guy they use at her store he's sort of a "jack of all trades master of none"
    If you overlook the bad sanding the 65 year old oak looks pretty good.
    Girlfriend's happy with it though so that's good.

What really burns me about the drunk is I let him use my Vise Grips to pull nails out of the baseboards. Now he ain't a thief but he got them mixed up with his tools when he packed up. By the time I figured out where they went I didn't want to call him about what I'm sure was an honest mistake.

Big deal a 20 dollar Vise Grips BUT they were my last USA made ones !
    That's like loosing RCA backplate 6L6s.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Nice job man! Thanks for the tip on the Bona too. I'm done with carpet, it just soaks up dirt and dust. You can never really get it clean.

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I installed wide plank pin oak , up to 11 1/2" in my main downstairs room and wide plank cherry , up to 9" , in the adjoining kitchen and hallway/laundry .
    It is all milled from wood that I harvested .
    I used a Waterlox finish and am very pleased .

15. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That looks great, good job!!

16. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1!
    When I pulled up my carpet and pad it was frickin' disgusting! I'll never put carpet in again.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Everyone but me in my family has dust allergies. No carpets in our house.

18. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That looks great! Love me some hardwood floors. Nice to know on the matte finish too.

19. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This thread couldn't have popped up at a better time. I am about to pull up the carpet in my house because it's just old and I'm tired of it. It has the original hardwood floors underneath and what has kept me from doing it sooner is basically laziness because I don't know what to do with flooring. I don't think it will be in horrible shape but do I just clean it? Do I have to sand it and refinish it? Like I said it's the original flooring from the late 60's.

20. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Tele-Meister

Floors lookin great bud! I always shed a tear when they use maple for floors!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.