Hardtails are so rare

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just finished this one. I'm not too in to the lace sensors and will prob make it a normal strat soon.
IMG_8980.jpg
IMG_8982.jpg

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
They're not that rare, but I do agree they are few and far between to find one you like. Took me a while, but scored a real nice one. I wanted a classic sunburst, rosewood neck and mint guard, and medium jumbo frets. Spec wise, that's common, but took me quite a bit of time to find a hardtail one.

IMG_7062.jpg
IMG_7067.jpg
IMG_7091.jpg

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I'd like to build a hardtail
I did ending building a hardtail. My only partscaster to date . I was looking for a reissue, 1950’s custom shop . And I couldn’t find one . Ron wood is quite keen on them and has a few vintage ones , and I always loved his tone, and the look of em. Had to have one . Very resonant and tele - like when it comes to bending and staying in tune . Very stable .

RedRhino

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I have just started my first Strat build and decided to go with the look of a 1976 Ash Hardtail I remember as a kid- I prefer Teles and have built a few but I have found the HT Strat to be an interesting new challenge and it's really something completely different.

"Yes, and now for something completely different...."

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
granted, every guitar is different. I do not believe blocking a trem is the same as a hardtail, though.

I had a '58 CS hardtail, it was a very limited run. Lightest strat I've ever encountered, 5 lbs 15 ounces. Also the LOUDEST acoustically speaking solid body I've ever heard. Eventually sold it for financial reasons.

I might get a hardtail body some day and build me another one.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
no no no no no you were not an idiot the todo that ! be nice to yourself . An idiot would have traded the guitar for a Marla Singer high malignance relationship. ( I actual think that Marla is on her way to becoming the healthy person in the film )

19b165aff56c5d68748e9a77fbb1a769-700.jpg

I thought Marla was hot in that flick, but I also play Jazzmasters. Make of that what you will.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There isn't a lack of HardTails - nor are they hard to find - course if you want to you can pretend there rare.
Unless you're counting Squiers I'm not sure where you see so many hardtail Strats and so few Strats with trems.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Twice in the past six years there have been limited edition 70's styled hardtails and both times they sold out fast and go for decent money in the second hand market.

Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
granted, every guitar is different. I do not believe blocking a trem is the same as a hardtail, though.

I had a '58 CS hardtail, it was a very limited run. Lightest strat I've ever encountered, 5 lbs 15 ounces. Also the LOUDEST acoustically speaking solid body I've ever heard. Eventually sold it for financial reasons.

I might get a hardtail body some day and build me another one.
That’s exactly what I would like to find , when funds are right. I never see those custom shop hardtails , in a store at least . Funny , my home made hardtail strat , is absolutely the loudest electric guitar I’ve ever heard, unplugged. The nut came out to narrow , I would play it a lot more, if that hadn’t happened

PaulNYC

TDPRI Member
I agree. My opinion is a trem, resonates better than a hardtail. Just based on my experience. Maybe it the mass of the trem block and the fact that is it suspended..? Possibly even when blocked though.
I'm thinking: How well does a bell resonate sitting on the floor vs hung? 🤔
A trem may resonate better, but it's the string's vibration that gets measured by the pickup. Additionally, movement at the bridge takes energy from the string vibration, reducing sustain.

Increasing mass of the trem block increases inertia, but it is still less inertia than a fixed bridge (which has inertia of the whole guitar body).

YMMV.

kLyon

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
One of my favorite guitars ever was a hardtail partscaster I had stolen from me in Los Angeles in the early '80's (after a show at the then-Central/now-Viper Room, along with a whole band's worth of gear).
I'm still looking for it... if anyone ever saw it, it has a custom made preamp inside...))