Hardtails are so rare

teletail

Friend of Leo's
You didn't look very hard.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.25.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 8.24.12 AM.png

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
You could get a Robert Cray hardtail model - nice guitars. I've always just decked the trem with tension and 5 springs. Maybe a myth, but I still think the trem block adds something to the Strat's tone that I like. Of course, nobody can hear it but me.🤪

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You could get a Robert Cray hardtail model - nice guitars. I've always just decked the trem with tension and 5 springs. Maybe a myth, but I still think the trem block adds something to the Strat's tone that I like. Of course, nobody can hear it but me.🤪

Yes!! Those guitars are really nice.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I find the lack of hardtail Strats annoying too.
Played lots of blocked trems or decked trems with five springs which was fine until weight became an issue, don't need that hunk of steel and a Strat trem sucks tone if you use those light die cast import trem/ block assemblies.
Plus I found I prefer the three big chunky Tele saddles with one height screw per string!

But I moved to the partscaster model in 1980 so I really never expect to find complete guitars that suit me in shops.
One of my Strats has a maple block I made that fills the trem cavity and the bridge plate scres to, plus has the string ferrules on the back. Works well enough but I'm moving that whole guitar to a new hardtail body I still need to rout more and paint.

I also don't really like most Strat hardtail bridges, while I do like the Tele bridge.
So I had my next hardtail body drilled for a four screw Tele bridge plate.

Shopping for finished bodies there's the Robert Cray and the cheap Squier Affinity that might be pretty good and is solid wood.
Since Fender makes so few models these days, if you have special needs yougotta turn to the aftermarket.

One day I predict Fender will offer 100 different Strat models and we will all find one that's just right!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yeah I think I hear something different with the trem assembly, especially unplugged where the springs add some reverb to couch playing.
But I concluded that I don't really need or want whatever that added bit is, kind of like beans in chili except less obvious.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You’re not the only one who can hear it. I hear a definite difference between a hardtail and a decked trem. I prefer the latter. So does Eric Clapton, for whatever that’s worth.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Fender Mod Shop.

When you get to the bridge option choose hard tail instead of 2 point or modern trem. If you pick that option it will be a hard tail. About $150 more than an MiA in any color you want. Solved.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Block a trem. I know it’s not exactly the same, but it’ll have a similar effect.
I agree. My opinion is a trem, resonates better than a hardtail. Just based on my experience. Maybe it the mass of the trem block and the fact that is it suspended..? Possibly even when blocked though.
I'm thinking: How well does a bell resonate sitting on the floor vs hung? 🤔